Some questions from a beginner

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Some questions from a beginner

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 4:04 pm

Hello all :)

Me and my partner are wanting to get into bush walking here in Tasmania and I have a few questions. We're on a tight budget so we would like to get things as cheap as possible but not bad quality equipment. If you could recommend some specific equipment that would be great :)

1. We are wanting to get into overnight trips (maybe up to 2 nights). I was wondering what size packs you would recommend? I was thinking something like a 60L for myself (male) and a 30L for my partner (female). Keep in mind we'd also like to do day walks and don't want to carry packs that are to large when we're doing those. What brand packs would you recommend?

2. I'm a fly fisherman and want boots that can get wet. I was thinking of getting decent wading boots (as they are light and dry quickly) and wearing neoprene socks to keep my feet warm whilst allowing them to get wet. Is this a viable option?

3. Will a 3 season tent suffice for the Spring, Summer and Autumn months? Keep in mind we'd like to do some walks above 1000m. Or would you recommend a 4 season tent?

4. What temperature rating sleeping bags would you recommend? And should we get double or single sleeping bags?

They're all the questions I have at the moment but I'm sure i'll think of more haha. Thanks :)
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Some questions from a beginner

Postby north-north-west » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 5:54 pm

With regard to sourcing gear, the cheapest option is second-hand. There are a number of online resale pages, including the Marketplace on this forum. Also visit Recycled Recreation in Hobart.
Shop around, research, ask plenty of questions before you buy.

Most people have a small pack for daywalks and larger for overnight trips; it is far more practical although it does add to initial expense. There is no reason you cannot both use packs of the same volume (with appropriately sized and fitting harnesses); if one cannot (or does not want to) carry the same weight, you simply put the lighter items in that person's pack. Not saying you should, just that it's a workable option.

If you're going above the snowline the two things on which you do not compromise are shelter and sleep (bag\quilt, mat, sleepwear), as freezing conditions including snow and ice as well as very strong winds can occur at any time of the year. That said, there are considerable differences in personal comfort levels; what one person finds too warm at night may well be too cold for the other. A dual bag or quilt enables you to share body warmth, but it also increases the possibility of one person being uncomfortable due to the other's sleep preferences. There are bags designed to be zipped together - these may be your best option.

All experienced walkers have their personal favourites with brands and specific items. Brand is less important than function, fit and comfort, value, durability. But there are some brands whose reputation for reliability and quality are well deserved (I'm a major fan of Hilleberg tents, Aarn packs and One Planet gear, for instance).

We have a couple of serious flyfishingpersons here, so you may want to discuss gear with them in more depth. But walking in Tasmania means wet feet. Even on many tracks you won't get far if you insist on keeping your feet and footwear clean and dry. Many of us just wear good leather boots (or proper walking shoes) with good gaiters (TasGear make an excellent heavy-duty gaiter designed to cope with the worst the island can throw at them) and resign ourselves to getting wet. With good merino socks, cold feet don't tend to be much of an issue.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 9:08 pm

I think I qualify as a serious flyfishingperson but sometimes I am not that serious but would say fanatical and shall share my experiences with boots as I have a fair bit of experience with them with what you want to do.
I use simms G3 guide boots with aquastealth soles and tungsten studs when I am hiking/fishing.They are a heavy boot and not entirely suitable for hiking as the soles do wear out(I am currently getting mine resoled) but wear them as a compromise because the main reason(but not complete reason)is to flyfish for trout in small high country streams in the Snowys and NE Vic.I feel the added stability when I am fishing slippery bouldery streams in which I am likely to fall over much outweighs the inconvenience and disadvantages when using them to hike in.I have hiked in them up to 35km in a day with no problems except one trip I did get one blister which was OK with a bit of self treatment on the trip.I too use neoprene booties and gaiters with woolen socks and replace the socks annually as they get very much on the nose.
I have thought about using cheapie hiking boots on hiking/fishing trips and they would be suitable on some streams which aren't rocky but I generally hike in to unknown waters so err on the side of caution.I do use the cheapie hiking boots fishing lakes in Western Vic and generally get at least a season out of them with the constant wetting and drying of them.The wading boots fare much better in this regard.
I am not sure if you are hiking in to rivers or lakes but would suggest the cheapies would be OK in the highland lakes.
I have not used more expensive hiking boots because I would not like to ruin a good pair of boots being 100% wet all the time.
Korkers do make wading boots with interchangeable soles for fishing and hiking but after purchasing their first version of them about 10 years ago and the soles kept popping out after a bit of use at the most inoppurtune time I gave up on them and have not purchased their newer models which are supposed to be better.
Summing up all I can say is that I am constantly looking for the perfect system and suggestions but the above works for me.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 10:03 pm

north-north-west wrote: If you're going above the snowline the two things on which you do not compromise are shelter and sleep (bag\quilt, mat, sleepwear), as freezing conditions including snow and ice as well as very strong winds can occur at any time of the year. That said, there are considerable differences in personal comfort levels; what one person finds too warm at night may well be too cold for the other. A dual bag or quilt enables you to share body warmth, but it also increases the possibility of one person being uncomfortable due to the other's sleep preferences. There are bags designed to be zipped together - these may be your best option.

What temperature rating sleeping bag would you recommend? Thanks for the advice!
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 10:07 pm

MeanderingFlyFisher wrote:I think I qualify as a serious flyfishingperson but sometimes I am not that serious but would say fanatical and shall share my experiences with boots as I have a fair bit of experience with them with what you want to do.
I use simms G3 guide boots with aquastealth soles and tungsten studs when I am hiking/fishing.They are a heavy boot and not entirely suitable for hiking as the soles do wear out(I am currently getting mine resoled) but wear them as a compromise because the main reason(but not complete reason)is to flyfish for trout in small high country streams in the Snowys and NE Vic.I feel the added stability when I am fishing slippery bouldery streams in which I am likely to fall over much outweighs the inconvenience and disadvantages when using them to hike in.I have hiked in them up to 35km in a day with no problems except one trip I did get one blister which was OK with a bit of self treatment on the trip.I too use neoprene booties and gaiters with woolen socks and replace the socks annually as they get very much on the nose.
I have thought about using cheapie hiking boots on hiking/fishing trips and they would be suitable on some streams which aren't rocky but I generally hike in to unknown waters so err on the side of caution.I do use the cheapie hiking boots fishing lakes in Western Vic and generally get at least a season out of them with the constant wetting and drying of them.The wading boots fare much better in this regard.
I am not sure if you are hiking in to rivers or lakes but would suggest the cheapies would be OK in the highland lakes.
I have not used more expensive hiking boots because I would not like to ruin a good pair of boots being 100% wet all the time.
Korkers do make wading boots with interchangeable soles for fishing and hiking but after purchasing their first version of them about 10 years ago and the soles kept popping out after a bit of use at the most inoppurtune time I gave up on them and have not purchased their newer models which are supposed to be better.
Summing up all I can say is that I am constantly looking for the perfect system and suggestions but the above works for me.

Thanks! Yeah, it'll probably be mostly lakes but also some steams. I figure I might get some cheap wading boots. I've found a few good second hand ones online, problem is though I don't know what size I should go for. Wearing woollen and neoprene socks might mean I need to go up a size. I might try some in store just to get a feel for fitting.
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby davidf » Thu 28 Sep, 2017 8:05 am

My advice is get some cheap as stuff, you will quickly figure whats wrong with it and look out for second hand stuff. A kmart tent for instance is c$40. Get some cheap stuff and get out there. take beginner steps. There are good cheap options. For instance I have a very light down bag from vinnies, a summer and winter ones from aldi all under $30. Foam sleeping pads are always in op shops.The advice above that Tas has winter conditions in higher areas is very very true.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Thu 28 Sep, 2017 9:23 am

JoeyJibJabber wrote:
north-north-west wrote: If you're going above the snowline the two things on which you do not compromise are shelter and sleep (bag\quilt, mat, sleepwear), as freezing conditions including snow and ice as well as very strong winds can occur at any time of the year. That said, there are considerable differences in personal comfort levels; what one person finds too warm at night may well be too cold for the other. A dual bag or quilt enables you to share body warmth, but it also increases the possibility of one person being uncomfortable due to the other's sleep preferences. There are bags designed to be zipped together - these may be your best option.

What temperature rating sleeping bag would you recommend? Thanks for the advice!

Depends very much on whether you sleep warm or cold. I'm a cold sleeper and even in summer I take a -10 or even warmer bag most places (except east coast). A bag can always be opened up if it's too warm.
Also consider quilts. There's a chap on the forum who makes very good down quilts - they are lighter than bags and many people find them more comfortable. With an appropriate mat and sleepwear they can be just as warm.
Make sure you go by the bag/quilt's comfort rating, not the extreme. And remember that a good mat makes a massive difference as a lot of warmth is lost to the ground. There's also the comfort factor.

Good gear is generally not cheap. Watch for sales by the big stores/brands and for quality used gear. And if you can afford to get a bit of very basic cheap stuff to start with, go for it.
Some walking clubs do have gear they will lend out to beginners on club walks - that's one option if you want to start now but have nothing you're comfortable going out with.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to Equipment