Awesome Gear Reviews

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Awesome Gear Reviews

Postby Turfa » Sun 01 Oct, 2017 3:44 pm

Came across this review of the Snow Peak Titanium Spork on Amazon... It is an awesome piece of writing and thought it needed to be shared (BTW. I have one of these sporks , and totally agree.....)
Have you come across any other entertaining gear reviews ????

Snow Peak Titanium Spork
5.0 out of 5 stars
The perfection will make you weep
Color: TITANIUM|Verified Purchase

I don't know why a titanium spork is such a fun thing to own. But it is. I got mine as a gift and I.. just.. like.. using it.

Maybe it's because what you have here is a final experience, the idealized form of a piece of technology. It's as tough as steel, it's light, it's utterly non-toxic, manages hot food without a problem, scoops up yogurt, soup and stew with aplomb, spears meat and vegys without trouble. It cleans up trivially. It will probably last about a billion years in typical use. It's got a simple, appealing shape. There's no way to improve on it. You look at it, and just know that in five hundred years, it will still be the utter epitome of utensilness.

Hold it in your hand, and you feel like mankind has achieved something, finally made something that's perfect, that just works without a glitch. That's not a feeling you get often. You don't get it looking at your car, your children, your new cell phone, or your Windows PC. But you can feel it when you own this spork, and the feeling is one of relief. Finally, something in your life that just Does The Job. When mankind faces final judgment, or the heat death of the universe, or whatever ending you believe in, you'll be able to hold up your titanium spork and say "Yes, I know, mankind didn't measure up to expectations. We got a lot wrong. But look... we totally NAILED this concept."

The titanium spork truly divides human accomplishment into a Before and an After. Buy one.
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Re: Awesome Gear Reviews

Postby Tortoise » Sun 01 Oct, 2017 8:32 pm

Excellent reading. :)
Only trouble is, I have one myself, and wish it were a spoon. :(
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby dashandsaph » Mon 02 Oct, 2017 12:16 pm

I agree Tortoise - so I got myself a Light My Fire Titanium Spork. Works a treat as a spoon and doesn't melt suddenly when used to lift a billy. And, because it's a spoon, you can get that last bit out of the pot instead of scraping grooves through it with the Snow Peak style spork (which is probably actually a Splayd).

Dashandsaph
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Tortoise » Mon 02 Oct, 2017 5:27 pm

Yes, mine makes it hard to get the last bits out of the pot!
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby jeremyw » Tue 03 Oct, 2017 9:46 pm

Funny review.. but eh, the Kathmandu one is lighter. And if you only need a spoon, the spoon in the 3pc set is a couple extra grams lighter than that too.

Never thought I'd see the day where I tout kathmandu as better than snow peak :cry:
jeremyw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby whitefang » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 8:33 am

Toaks long handled titanium spoon with polished bowl is the best utensil. There is no better.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Orion » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 8:41 am

I found a Sea to Summit titanium fork recently. It's got a nice feel to it and it made me smile that they included a small hexagonal hole at the end of the handle. I suppose they think I'll be adjusting my crampons with it or something.

But what I don't understand is why anyone wants a metal fork or spoon when bushwalking. What's the appeal over one made of Lexan or some other plastic?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 8:18 am

Why Ti and not Lexan ?
Because it does not melt and can be used as a peg in emergencies.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 8:51 am

I prefer the S2s Alphalight aluminium spoon (not the long handled one) - lightest on the market (9 grams) and has well shaped bowl. Agree with Franco I prefer metal as it is far harder to break and won't melt. I have painted the handle so I can find it easily.
Orion wrote: It's got a nice feel to it and it made me smile that they included a small hexagonal hole at the end of the handle. I suppose they think I'll be adjusting my crampons with it or something.

I filed out the hole in the end of my spoon so that it fits the jet on my stove. Nothing like getting extra usage out of an item while also lowering its weight.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Orion » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 10:49 am

Franco wrote:Why Ti and not Lexan ?
Because it does not melt and can be used as a peg in emergencies.

I'm curious what it is that you do that would melt a utensil. Frying in oil?

I've never thought about what items in my pack could be used as pegs. If I were carrying a non-freestanding tent and forget the pegs I guess I'd be looking for rocks or wood or something in my pack to bury. But if the ground were really hard I'd need something to pound in and I probably wouldn't have enough spoons even if they were made from metal.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment