How to carry camera kit

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

How to carry camera kit

Postby joel_hodge » Sun 01 Oct, 2017 6:25 pm

Hey guys in november I'm hiking the whole Great Ocean walk and I'll be bringing my camera gear which involves a nikon d610, nikon 16-35mm lens and a tripod but I was just wondering how people carry their dslr's as I don't like keeping it in the pack as I find myself being lazy and taking less photos and its a relatively large so unlike my point and shoot I can simply put it in the tiny waist pocket of my pack :shock: So how do you carry your gear that allows you to keep shooting :?:
joel_hodge
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: How to carry camera kit

Postby CasualNerd » Sun 01 Oct, 2017 9:31 pm

I just got one of these: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 50_aw.html and a chest harness so I can wear it on the front at all times. I haven't carried a DSLR bushwalking before, this is the best idea I can find.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Dexter » Sun 01 Oct, 2017 10:14 pm

I've travelled overseas a lot and use one of these on my 1Dx. It's a heavy camera but this makes the world of difference.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... strap.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aushiker » Mon 02 Oct, 2017 11:12 pm

Not a DSLR user but for my mirrorless camera I am getting a Peak Designs Capture [the Pro might be more suitable for you].

I am very impressed with my Peak Design gear and expect the Capture to be good as well. Generally see pretty good feedback on it from users in various photography fora.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby stepbystep » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 1:54 pm

Hey there...

Depends...

I carry a full frame DSLR, multiple lenses, tripod and accessories on every walk. I usually use one lens for 'on the go' with the camera slung around my neck in the smallest possible Lowe Pro or similar bag, such as https://store.lowepro.com/adventura-tlz-30-ii this allows accessibility, can clip to the rucksack on my front, or swing about depending on the terrain. If there's light drizzle I have a dry bag handy to shove it in. There are more expensive versions of this bag that are supposedly waterproof but the scrub/rock/weather will destroy it rather quickly. I've used this setup for several years. Works for me.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby deadwood » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 8:09 pm

I've been using the Peak Design Capture for a while with a full-frame DSLR . I think it's the newer pro version that has a pad that sits behind the pack strap that helps spread the load of a heavier camera. After 3 or 4 days I find I need to swap shoulders as it does add a bit of extra weight onto the pack shoulder strap. Just make sure you tighten up the clamp onto the shoulder strap well and check it once or twice a day just to be sure. If it isn't raining too heavy, putting either a zip lock bag or dry sack over the camera while it is clipped on seems to work fairly well. If it's dusty, the zip lock will help as well. The plate I use for Capture clip, I can also attach my Cotton Carrier hand strap to, so when I take it out of the clip, I have the additional security of a hand strap which can be nice when it's cold enough to make your fingers numb!!
deadwood
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby LachlanB » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 8:32 pm

Just an added note, I've found a toploading camera bag is particularly useful if you have a backpack with an airflow system between the pack and your back. You can shorten the strap and feed it through, and have the camera bag sitting on your hip. That way it's not hot and sweaty on your chest, not putting pressure on one shoulder, not constantly bouncing against your leg, and depending on the backpack not rubbing against your back at all.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby cams » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 8:38 am

A combination of all of the above methods. I alternate between a basic lowepro holster bag and a waterproof Ortlieb one. A capture clip is the absolute fastest to get the shot, but only really viable if there is limited bush bashing. A peak designs shell can add a little bit of water and impact protection in this configuration. I also alternate between attaching the holster bag with biners to my shoulder straps or just using the bags shoulder strap but slung behind my head and down under both arms. This puts the load on the top of the pack. I sometimes use a lens holster bag strapped the pack hip belt as well for quick lens swaps depending on the walk.
cams

Postby north-north-west » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:12 am

cams wrote:... or just using the bags shoulder strap but slung behind my head and down under both arms.

I've been doing it that way for some years (when not using the Aarn balance pockets), but never seen anyone else with the same method. Two of us is the beginning of a trend.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 2:08 pm

Photo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby Warezy91 » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 8:12 am

I use a light weight mirrorless with a peak design capture pro clip on my shoulder strap and their hand strap - i think its called the clutch - and a domke protective wrap for spare lenses or when I want to put the camera away. Sometimes i will take a bag that is only just big enough to fit the camera and a bit extra that fits into my day bag nicely if its not too loaded up, but generally ill leave the camera bag in the car.

I got the clip when i originally had a canon 70D, and to be honest I didn't really like having the big bulky camera permanently clipped onto my shoulder strap while i was walking. What I did instead was have the camera on a sling strap and only clipped it onto my belt or shoulder strap when I was worried about the camera swinging too much. I found i could get the belt clip into a spot where the camera weight was distributed a bit on the belt and a bit on the shoulder strap, taking a bit of pressure off your shoulder but not pulling your pants down too much.
Warezy91
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Rileyr » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 3:47 pm

My partner uses a nikon dslr in a case. We added fastex clips which clip onto her shoulder straps. The pack chest strap also goes though the hip belt thing of the camera case. Works well - easy to access. Only a few bucks for the clips, some zipties and a bit of hand sewing. Its out of the way on the chest as well and doesnt hinder trekking poles

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment