First backpack advice

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

First backpack advice

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 2:13 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking to get my first backpack for overnight trips. At the moment I'm thinking of a 60l Tatonka yukon (https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/tatonk ... tat1404.04). I've found one in new condition for $120 (might be able to bump down to $100). The only problem I think is the weight (2.7kg). Has anyone had any experience with this bag or Tatonka in general? Would you suggest holding out and getting something a little lighter? I'm going to have a look at the bag in a few days and want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. Thanks!
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: First backpack advice

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 5:33 pm

tatonka is an odd company, some stuff is great, and some is just re-branded. We almost got some stainless trangia clones from them at work, fantastic build quality, but very slow to boil. Paddypalin has some osprey aethers on clearance on the big auction site, I'd pounce on one of those as its near your price range and a fantastic pack (especially at that price) but you'll have to be quick. Osprey packs are one of the few brands that I'd recommend without seeing the pack first hand. They do one thing, do it well, and every osprey I've seen has looked and preformed really well. the only reason I'm not grabbing one is that I'm waiting for a xenith because I tend to the higher weight limits when I have to carry a pack.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Neo » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 5:49 pm

G'day mate.

Nice price but that extra kilo+ is not a good way to start out IMHO. You will end up buying a different pack within 12mths.

Osprey are a good all-round brand for price vs weight vs features. An extra 50 or 100 $ would get you a new one on spesh.

Keep your eye on here at Market Square and on Gumtree. I search the word 'hike' in all of Australia.

Also my opinion, don't be afraid to buy without trying IF you are doing heaps of research and have some idea. I have a 95% success rate shopping online :).

Also depends on your other gear, volume not weight. You can pack it into a box then measure it and do the maths to figure out required volume of pack.

(I can do 2-3 nights winter not snow in a 50L and summer...yet to see if I fit inside a 34L again!).

Other heavy pack brands to avoid are MacPac, Mont, anything from BCF/Anaconda such as Blackwolf... They may be cheap or bomb-proof but OTT. Designed for the careless walker or commercial re-use.

Enjoy!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby crollsurf » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 7:01 pm

I've owned Tatonka in the past and liked it. You should be able to stuff all your kit into a 60L pack so $120 sounds like a good choice. 2.7kg is heavy but work on lightening the load with your tent, bag, mat first and then upgrade the pack last, once you know what literage you need in a backpack. If $ are not an issue grab an Osprey Exos 58 and look at replacing it once you have all your other kit sorted.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 7:04 pm

The Osprey's are only 600g less (aether). Is that really that big a deal? My budget is under $150 and I doubt I'll see an osprey 60l going for that price. I just don't want to pass up getting a pack that's lets then half the retail price. If you think I'll end up buying another after 12 months then maybe I should wait?
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Neo » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 7:23 pm

Osprey Aether 85L Mens Hiking Pack,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/darling- ... pp_android

Price: $270
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 7:24 pm

Light weight Hiking Backpack. Osprey Exos 48 Brand New.,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/atherton ... pp_android

Price: $210
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 7:26 pm

Anotherie

Osprey atmos 50 ag hiking backpack,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/annandal ... pp_android

Price: $200
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 7:48 pm

After clocking up 20+ km in a day, every gram counts but to get started, the Tatonka is a good buy. Buy it on the understanding that if you get into hiking, you will end up replacing it
If you want to get serious about weight, get a good pair of light-weight shoes.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 8:04 pm

Id choose the osprey exos 48 for any trip of 4 days or less. Wait for wild earth etc to have a sale. I think I picked mine up for around $180 (delivered), they are light (1kg), comfortable and great for anything except serious scrub bashing.

For overnight trips you do not need a 60 litre pack. (unless your carrying for two or have a seriously bulky tent and sleeping bag)
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby metastable » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 8:40 pm

Mountain Designs has their 60 and 70l Daintree packs on the clearance site for $99 and $129

http://www.clearancemountaindesigns.com ... cksack-70l

http://www.clearancemountaindesigns.com ... cksack-6ol

I had a look at them in the DFO store and they are sturdy, simple packs

Supposedly in the vicinity of 2.1ish kg
metastable
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crollsurf » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 9:16 pm

I got one of those MD Daintree packs so I could be a pack mule with the kids. They're OK.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby HarryS11 » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 9:06 pm

Gadgetgeek wrote:Paddypalin has some osprey aethers on clearance on the big auction site, I'd pounce on one of those as its near your price range and a fantastic pack (especially at that price) but you'll have to be quick.
Gadgetgeek is on the ball, ebay has a 60l osprey aether (old model, not the AG version) right in your price range! I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to post the link but here it is just incase you couldn't find it: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Osprey-Aether-60-Clearance-Stock-Was-329-95-/182791663139?
If you're after a smaller size they have other models on sale too.
I can't really offer much in the way of help other than that, but don't settle for a pack that you don't love. I've been through 3 so far and although they have done the job it's made a few hikes much less enjoyable and my bank account rather empty.
HarryS11
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 6:40 am

I have the Osprey Aether 70 and would recommend it. It’s big enough for extended trips and very comfortable. For shorter trips, just don’t put as much gear/food in it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 6:42 am

Re the Aether, it comes with lots of straps and clips. I cut them off if I don’t think I’ll need them. Some of the clips I still have no idea what they are for!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 4:41 pm

Ah damn! Just bought the Tatonka, should of checked the forum before getting. Would of bought the Osprey. The tatonka looks pretty good though and seems to fit nicely.
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 6:28 pm

JoeyJibJabber wrote:Ah damn! Just bought the Tatonka, should of checked the forum before getting. Would of bought the Osprey. The tatonka looks pretty good though and seems to fit nicely.

There's always the return period.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 6:33 pm

Fit is the key, don't worry about it too much. run the pack, see how you like it, in a couple of years you might change how you pack anyway, so you can buy another one then. just keep your eye out for deals here and clearance where you can, and you'll end up with good stuff. Could be worse, you could have paid full price for a black-wolf.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 7:56 pm

Return it and say its too small to fit all your stuff inside. Osprey make fantastic packs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 9:43 am

Gadgetgeek wrote:Fit is the key, don't worry about it too much. run the pack, see how you like it, in a couple of years you might change how you pack anyway, so you can buy another one then. just keep your eye out for deals here and clearance where you can, and you'll end up with good stuff. Could be worse, you could have paid full price for a black-wolf.

You're not wrong. I had a look in Anaconda before buying the Tatonka, the quality on the Black Wolf's and Denali's were terrible (compared to the tatonka) and they were $120 half price.
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment