Mont Stargazer? Looking for a good hiking tent

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Mont Stargazer? Looking for a good hiking tent

Postby Moo » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi!
First post so not 100% sure how this all works yet.

Moving up to Canberra next year and will be doing some hiking around the place so I'm looking to buy a good hiking tent that will last me a long time. The weather in Canberra can be pretty nasty at times so I'm looking at a 3-4 season tent. I will probably be hiking with other people most of the time but if in a group of 3 I'd volunteer to have my own tent - needs to be reasonably light therefore.

I've been looking around for a while and the Mont stargazer (https://www.mont.com.au/stargazer-tent-spring-green) seems to be a good option? Really waterproof, durable, 3-4 season (full nylon inner but can zip down to mesh) and nice and roomy for 2 (I hate sharing when you're literally touching shoulders). BUT it's 2.65 kgs (due to thick fly and full nylon inner) which seems pretty heavy?

There's only 1 review, so have any of you used this tent? Or do you have some other recommendations that fit my list?

Thanks!! :D
Moo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Re: Mont Stargazer? Looking for a good hiking tent

Postby bernieq » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 8:16 pm

2.6kg is towards the higher end for a 4 season 2P tent. Note that the mesh is only in the top triangular 'windows' of the inner, not the whole thing (a good thing in the cold). No ventilation in the top of the fly is an issue with condensation. Hook pegs are very basic.

Have a look at the Tarptent Scarp 2 (solid inner) - 1.8kg.
I have Scarp 1 (a mate has a Scarp 2) - both of us are happy with them. The Easton 6" pegs (standard) are brilliant even in sand and weigh surprisingly little - 9g.

Just be aware that no tent does everything (well, that's how I justify my 3 tents).

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Moo » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 10:08 pm

Thanks for the reply! I did think that the weight seemed a bit excessive. The Tarptent looks cool - how did you order yours? Did you just buy it straight from the US website? And with the solid inner do you find it is too warm in Summer?

Anyone else have other suggestions also? :)
Moo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bernieq » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 10:57 am

They only sell direct so, yes, mine was ordered online.

Solid inner is fine in summer - if you're walking in warm, high humidity regions then the mesh inner would be preferable but otherwise, solid inner imo. The crossing poles are only needed in snow - I've been in high wind and relatively exposed without any issues.

Franco, on this site, is the Australian agent for Tarptent (they ship to him and he reships to you) so you can PM him any questions - or Tarptent direct. They are helpful.

One thing worth knowing - the seams are not taped (a good thing since the tape usually doesnt last very long) so you need to seal the seams yourself. Easily and cheaply done; just mix some silicon (silastic etc) with turps to make a thin paste and paint it on the outside of all seams and let dry.

The FAQ on their website answers most questions.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Postby potato » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 1:12 pm

I did a similar review of this style of tent not too long ago.

I didn't review the Tarptents with too much detail but I found the Mont tents to have higher rated waterproof floors than most manufacturers. I know that people now use footprints, but the floor is something I don't like to compromise on.

I ended up with a Mont Moondance 2 which I am kinda happy with. Its a bit gimmicky and I find its little too narrow on the first night of a walk. After the 1st night though, I don't mind and just get on with sleeping.
potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Franco » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 2:08 pm

Franco, on this site, is the Australian agent for Tarptent (they ship to him and he reships to you) so you can PM him any questions - or Tarptent direct. They are helpful.

Thank you for the mention.
TT did send me some stock for about 2 years but then we gave that up because the saving made sending a few tents at a time was much less than the added cost of the local shipping . (The customer was paying for the US to me cost not the me to the customer one)
I look after enquiries and generally keep an eye of where Tarptent is on the market.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby redrock » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi Franco,

Henry Shires mentioned TT are in the process of updating all the fabrics to a newer hydrostatic head nylon. Are you able to give any insight and the weight differences as a result, particularly for the Scarp 1?

Thanks
redrock
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Franco » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi,
not finalised yet because the most waterproof fabric we have at the moment is also the stretchiest (not by much) so we are trying to get one that has a high waterhead but low stretch.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moo » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks for the help guys!
The Scarp 2 is looking pretty good - much lighter for about the same price. Any other suggestions I should look at?

Do you use the footprint or do you find the floor sufficient just as is?
Moo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 7:00 am

A Tyvek footprint weighs sod-all and makes for a great deal more comfort and convenience, especially if you make your own which covers the vestibule area as well. Just keep the edges inside the fly.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment