Dr Brommer's soap...thoughts?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Dr Brommer's soap...thoughts?

Postby taipan821 » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 6:59 pm

Hello

I've recently been recommended to use Dr Brommer's soap in order to reduce the amount of toiletries carried while traveling. upon further research I see it recommended as a sort of 'do everything' liquid to carry while hiking.

Does anyone here use it? how do you find it and what do you use it for?
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Dr Brommer's soap...thoughts?

Postby crollsurf » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 8:23 pm

I use it bushwalking because it is supposedly kinder on the environment. It goes a long way but cutting off a chunk to avoid taking the whole block is hard because it crumbles/flakes. Other than the price tag, it works the same as other decent soaps.
I love Brommer's tooth paste, its not foamy. I use it at home and on the track and would struggle to use normal tooth paste again now
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 6:36 am

I use the liquid stuff, seems to do a good job, in fact its one of the few soaps I've found that easily breaks down zinc stick, so after a day on/ near the water, I can actually get that crap off my face again. As far as cost, its not bad considering what all it can do, and that its kinda hard to get camp-suds here in Aus. more expensive than the sea-to-summit wash, but I've not used that stuff, so I can't compare.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 7:56 am

More generally what does everyone use to
-wash hands after using the toilet
- wash dishes
- before eating if hands are very grubby or possibly contaminated with dodgy creek water.

Ive been using dettol hand sanitiser however its starting to cause dryness around my fingers as Ive been going on quite a few trips lately. (Just use hot water to wash dishes)

A soap might be a good substitute for all 3 tasks. https://www.drbronner.com.au/collections/liquid-castile-soap/products/dr-bronners-liquid-castile-soap-eucalyptus looks alright. Weighs only a fraction more than the dettol.

Does the soap cause dryness ?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 7:09 pm

Not that I've noticed, longest I've used it for has been a week, all showers, body and head (I'm a skull shaver normally) It did the job pretty well, about as my normal soap, I use a "hippy" bar soap I get from a place in canada (rocky mountain soapworks) and struggle with a bad scalp. I don't notice much difference between the soaps, and I've never tried it with salt water, but I've tried other "soaps" that couldn't clean basic sunscreen scum off, and after being out all day, I want to feel clean, kinda regardless of how it works.
Most bacteria are removed by mechanical action (scrubbing) and soap, so the soap will be better than dettol (which won't handle parasite eggs as far as I know)
Dryness from alco gel is a hazard, my wife has to constantly battle it as a nurse. It was worse when she did admissions, when she had to use it every 20 min.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eremophila » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 12:53 pm

After toilet: if enough water available, I'll take a sip from my water bladder and spit it over my fingers. If no water, sometimes sanitiser, very occasionally an antibacterial wipe - usually I save these for the evenings so they are utilised more fully.
Wash dishes - hot water and a scourer/sponge which I cut into smaller pieces. River sand is also good for scrubbing but requires more water to rinse.
Before cooking/eating: similar to above.

Can highly recommend the body & hair products from these guys: https://www.beebeauty.com.au/ Their sample packs contain good sized soaps/shampoo bars for bushwalking.
They don't make anything specifically for washing dishes or clothes though.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment