TT Cloudburst 3 vs BA Copper Spur HV UL3

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

TT Cloudburst 3 vs BA Copper Spur HV UL3

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi all

We're a family of three, soon enough to be four, and we like to hike and bike when we can (way less than we'd hope to, but hey). Currently we have a TT Contrail that I use on solo trips, and a TT Stratospire 2 which is *&%$#! excellent. We also have a Nemo Pentalite, but it's a bit big and heavy for hiking/biking and more for car/base camping. We're off to Tassie next month and hope to do an overnighter or two. I was planning on taking the SS2 and the Contrail, which would be fine. But a Cloudburst 3 would be better - lighter - and it would mean that in the future we'd have the flexibility of having one adult and two kids in it, plus another adult in the Contrail if we wanted to, all for about 2.3kg.

So I was about to pull the trigger when I had a closer look at what else was around and the BA Copper Spur HV UL3 looks pretty good at 1.7kg. It looks to be a bit roomier, and it's double wall. The CB3 on its own is about 1.5kg but can come with an optional 3rd pole and liner, which puts the weight up to about 1.9kg apparently. Weight wise there's not heaps in it, but the BA doesn't need a liner nor any extra poles and stuff. It looks a fair bit more involved to pitch than the CS3 (or any TT I've had experience with; it's much more like my old Hubba Hubba), but it doesn't seem complicated. Anyway. Now I'm in that cycle of not knowing what to do. Let's list some pros and cons.

Cloudbust 3

Pros

- Easy pitch
- Lighter without the 3rd pole +/- liner
- Better views with the vestibule doors open
- Better ventilation with the vestibule doors open
- Cheaper

Cons

- Less spacious
- Liner reduces volume further, and seems to be a faff to fit
- Prone to more condensation problems (my Contrail is prone to condensation too, but I've always seemed to manage it OK, although I reckon it'd be tougher with three in the tent, especially fidgety kids)
- heavier with extra pole and liner

BA Copper Spur HV UL3

Pros

- Looks roomier
- Double wall
- Lighter fully equipped

Cons

- Bit more fiddly to setup
- More complicated pole setup
- Floor looks less tough, and I don't want to use a footprint (my TTs seem to have pretty tough floors), but mates with BA gear have not had trouble (actually a mate's poles broke, but they were easy to replace)
- More expensive
- The views outside with the vestibules open don't look like they'd be as good

Anyway, just putting it out there. I'm sure plenty of you have found yourselves in this position, wondering what to get between two pretty great things. I know I have. Do any of you have any input that might sway my thoughts?
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: TT Cloudburst 3 vs BA Copper Spur HV UL3

Postby slparker » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 2:29 pm

I haven't seen the cloudburst but I have the BA Copper spur 3. I don't use it often as it is my 2 man + gear when I go walking with my wife.

It is very roomy (for 2) and a cinch to erect. I probably could have got the CS2 and been happy but the extra room is palatial, especially for the weight of the tent.

The only downside is that it is not an integral pitch tent so if it is raining the inner has a chance of getting wet. In practice the inner is resistant to water splashing so it's not a dealbreaker. I have used a tyvek floor with it but the floor is probably tougher than I give it credit for. It does feel quite flimsy though.

I bought it to replace a TT double moment that I never got on well with but you would probably be equally as happy with the cloudburst. Hard to go wrong with either tent, probably.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 5:04 pm

The more I chew this over the more I realise that I think that deep inside I think the BA is boring. I'm pretty sure I can get over that by using it, but I think it's what I'm feeling and a bit why I'm hesitating
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 5:29 pm

Yes it is boring but you can make it more interesting by accidentally leaving the poles at home.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 6:47 pm

lol
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Sat 14 Oct, 2017 2:40 pm

BTW,
- Liner reduces volume further, and seems to be a faff to fit
Takes a minute or two to fit or take off, there are 14 mitten clips for it.
You can leave it attached so in that case the next time it is already there.
(however you would need to undo one end if using the 3rd pole)
Using the mitten hooks, one is meant to slide the ribbon/cordage in and out of it, no need to press the small tongue to do it.*
As for losing room, in practical terms you don't because normally you try not to touch the fly so that 5cm or so gap is the one you typically have anyway.

* I did this clip for a guy at BPL that was all upset about having to use mitten hooks with outdoor gear :
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment