Fisherman/Flyfisherman: Lightweight rod tube?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Fisherman/Flyfisherman: Lightweight rod tube?

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Sat 14 Oct, 2017 2:49 pm

Hey guys I'm looking for some ideas on a lightweight way to carry my fly rod(4pc 5wt 9ft). I already have a tube but it's a little heavy and it also has a pouch for the reel which I find a little bulky. I've had a look around already on google and most people recommend florescent light tube protectors but I can't seem to find any here in Australia. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Fisherman/Flyfisherman: Lightweight rod tube?

Postby oldpiscator » Sat 14 Oct, 2017 4:00 pm

I have a very light weight white plastic postal tube I use but afraid I can't remember where it came from. The caps for cardboard post tubes fit so maybe it is a Aussie Post one ?
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ofuros » Sat 14 Oct, 2017 6:04 pm

To protect my travel rods I normally use 50mm PVC or 50mm electrical conduit if I an find it. Tape up the ends instead of using end caps. Cheap & cheerful. Both are lighter than the rods original cases.

You can also get thin aluminium or carbon fibre tubing.
Last edited by ofuros on Sun 15 Oct, 2017 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby andrewa » Sat 14 Oct, 2017 6:25 pm

PVC map case from boating shop - eg Whitworths, although I mostly just carry mine in a home made nylon "sock". I use the rod tube for flights, and then leave it behind when I'm off fishing - mind you, I am also very careful when I put my rucksack down on longer trips, coz I know the rod is on the side of it.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Sat 14 Oct, 2017 6:58 pm

With my tenkara outfit I now just have the rod minus the handle but with line and a fly in a cuben fabric tube (50 grams all up) which attaches to the back of the pack. The rod did come with a cf tube (13 grams) but like Andrewa I am careful when I put my pack down. It makes for quick assembly. I carry additional lines and flies inside the pack (about 15g).

If your wondering the rod handle is the top section of my walking poles.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby lorrainey100 » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 4:40 pm

Slightly off tangent, I bought a backpacker penfishingrod.com http://penfishingrods.com/shop/product_details.php?item_id=170 which looks like a pen, well protected. Perhaps you could do something similar. Just received it a couple of weeks ago and will use it this coming Christmas holidays. Loads of videos on the internet like this https://youtu.be/7ykEmplAufA of people who caught fish which convinced me to buy it. It appears to be a small cottage industry based in New York. The website is a bit all over the place but I bought 2 x backpacker penfishingrods combo reel for US$59.99 each +US$23 postage
lorrainey100
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnrs » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi Triple Jay
You can buy postal tubes then lacquer/waterproof them with epoxy,
or cut down a PVC tube lengthwise with a hacksaw
or split some alrge daimet bamboo again lengthwise
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby warnesy » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 10:48 am

I got my friend to bring back two flourescent light tube protectors when they went to the states. Bought them on Amazon and sent them to the hotel. They are cheap and easy to cut down to size. I’ve been very happy with how mine have gone. Certainly saves me a fair amount of weight compared to the aluminium rod tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ofuros » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 2:27 pm

You should be able to get fluoro tube sleeves a bit closer to home.
Just google polycarbonate tubing, fluoro sleeve, protector, cover etc etc australia.

http://www.diffusers.com.au/products/fl ... eeves.aspx
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 11:29 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm thinking I might just make a rod sleeve out of canvas and attached that to the outside of my bag, snug against my pack. I figure if I'm not doing to much scrub basing I should be okay. Will save a fair bit of weight also.
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 6:57 am

Fluted plastic sign sheeting from bunnings can be rolled into a very lightweight, stiff tube & taped up. Large & small sizes available so any diameter or length can be made to suit 4,5,6 or 7 piece travel rods. Cheap as chips. Roughly $10bucks for a 2.2x1.2m sheet.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Andrew » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 8:09 am

I just use the 4 piece sage material rod holder (and leave the tube at home) then use double sided velcro to attach.

I put the big end up and the little end in the side pocket on my pack.

I go around the rod bag a couple of times at the top then around the frame of my pack and stick the velcro back onto the bag.

About 8 inches protrudes above the top of the pack (and maybe 4 inches above my head).

Have done many trips and have hooked on scrub a few times but by being aware it has never been an issue and saves extra weight :)

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment