Shoes/Boots - Everest Base Camp/3 Passes - Nepal

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Shoes/Boots - Everest Base Camp/3 Passes - Nepal

Postby Flipper Hands » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 7:56 am

Hi all,

Questions up front, detail below.
What footwear would you do 3 Passes in, in March?
Could this be done safely and comfortably in trail runners? (Goretex socks, etc.)
Should I just cut my deliberation short, buy the Scarpas and cut a luxury or two from my pack?

Normally in Australia I walk with New Balance Leadville V3 trail runners. I wear orthotics, strap both feet/ankles as a result of multiple ankle injuries, and walk with poles on any inclined rough terrain. Since I have adopted this approach, I have not been close to an ankle injury. I would continue this approach regardless of footwear selected.

I don't want to walk on the edge of frostbite for a week, or loose a toe. I am also concerned that 3 weeks on pretty rough terrain will trash the soles of my feet (trail runners are very soft).

I am considering a pair of Scarpa SL Activ's. They fit perfectly, and feel like butter, but I will probably only ever strap them on for international trips. And they are HEAVY.

Opinions I get from shops when trying on boot/shoes almost all recommending heavy boots with stiff soles and a shank.

I am travelling solo, no guide, no porter, 3 Passes in March is a different animal to anything I have every done. The passes could be snowed in, so a bit of work on crampons or micro spikes may be required. If possible I will wait for trail information, or worst case even divert back down the mountains to do side trips. I will pick up a guide/porter if necessary.

My solo multi-day walking experience is very good in NSW, with some solo overnight alpine experience in the Snowies (in snow). Overall I am a very independent and careful walker. I'd grudgingly class myself as experienced.

I have no international experience or experience with 3 week long walks, 3 Passes will be a challenge, and I am already training. I will train in whatever footwear I decide on.
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Shoes/Boots - Everest Base Camp/3 Passes - Nepal

Postby Mark F » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 8:08 am

I cannot comment on the requirements for your proposed walk but I would think long and hard about changing away from a footwear setup that works for you. Given that porters do it in sandshoes I would suggest that current setup is likely to work with the appropriate spikes/crampons if required.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby johnrs » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 9:06 am

Hey Flipper Hands
There is a long thread here
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=21244&p=280410&hilit=three+passes#p280410
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby RonK » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 9:24 am

The weather in March should be fairly warm, but you may still encounter snow drifts at high altitude, and there is always the chance of a storm. The trails can be very rough and hard underfoot, so trial runners may not give much protection from bruising, particularly when carrying a pack. Approach shoes will give a little more protection and may be a better choice, there are plenty to choose from. Take sealskin socks to wear for the pass crossings.

This might help. The Best Climbing Approach Shoes for Men Review
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby rcaffin » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 8:26 pm

We were wandering around there in light joggers. No problem. MUCH easier than the big boots, especially on the rocky bits.

One section over 6,000 m needed crampons. Trip leader demanded we hire plastic boots in Kathmandu, but I stuck to light Scarpas we had. Could have used the joggers with a bit of 3-ply. It wasn't hard.

However ... one poor girl hired plastics. At 6,000 m her feet swelled up and she was in absolute tears of pain. But the trip leader was a bit inexperienced and hadn't a clue. Half the porters went on strike and went home.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment