First tent advice

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

First tent advice

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 1:50 pm

Hey guys looking at getting my first tent for me and my partner. I'm wanting one for Tasmania conditions in Spring, Summer and Autumn and to spend under $200. I'm pretty set on getting either a Kelty Salida 2 ordered from Amazon for $176 or getting Managum Delatite from Wild Earth for $139 (2.1kg and 2.2kg respectively). Just wanted to see if anyone had any others to recommend before purchasing either one or if anyone has had experience with these two tents. Thanks!
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: First tent advice

Postby Mark F » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 2:28 pm

The issues that may cause you to rethink your choices:
Single door - who get to crawl over who to exit?
Inner pitches first - in rain you end up with a damp/wet inner.
When door is open rain falls into the inner tent.

For the money both seem seem reasonable. If I only had a choice of the two, I would go with the Kelty as the lower part of the inner is fabric rather than mesh - usually a better option for Tassie conditions.

Something like the SMD Lunar Duo may be a good choice but a touch above your budget. See this thread for a considered writeup from a Tasmanian perspective - http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22420
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Neo » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 9:41 pm

Spend under $500 for a 2p that's well under 2kg. Can be done! Anything else is overpriced or disposable :(

My first was an EPE Spartan 2 but 2.5kg!!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 10:15 pm

No association but it looks like this is still available. I'm happy to agent for you in Melb if interested.Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby puredingo » Sun 22 Oct, 2017 6:30 pm

Neo wrote:Spend under $500 for a 2p that's well under 2kg. Can be done! Anything else is overpriced or disposable :(

My first was an EPE Spartan 2 but 2.5kg!!

I agree, I had an EPE Spatan 1 and it done me for a couple of years with plenty of use. In fact I only retired it to upgrade to a dearer brand and I cant really tell the difference between the two? I might pull it it out for a romp soon for nostalgia sake.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment