Para cord ( reflective)

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Para cord ( reflective)

Postby Echidna not » Sun 22 Oct, 2017 8:12 pm

Hi everyone, I’m pretty good at tripping over guy ropes :oops: ,so I’m just wondering if anyone has used reflective para cord ? and where did you get it ? Would you buy it again ?
TIA :D
If you are not too long, I will wait here for you all my life. Oscar W.
Echidna not
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Para cord ( reflective)

Postby Mark F » Sun 22 Oct, 2017 8:35 pm

There are at least 20 suppliers of reflective code in the 1.8 to 4mm diameter area. S2S, Kelty, NiteIze Lawson Equipment and on and on and on and on. Do a quick google and your prayers will be answered. You can even get it at Bunnings!
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Echidna not » Sun 22 Oct, 2017 8:42 pm

Thanks mark , I Don’t recall seeing any reflective at Bunnings , I have done a google search and most are suppliers from China most with shonky reviews and some from the US on fleabay , hence why I asked here.
Echidna not
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby undercling-mike » Sun 22 Oct, 2017 9:15 pm

You can get spectra glowire from Tier Gear in Tasmania
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby HarryS11 » Sun 22 Oct, 2017 10:12 pm

I bought some sea to summit stuff a few years ago, it does absolutely nothing. Definitely test before you buy.
HarryS11
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Echidna not » Sun 22 Oct, 2017 10:51 pm

HarryS11 wrote:I bought some sea to summit stuff a few years ago, it does absolutely nothing. Definitely test before you buy.

Thankyou harry , 8)
Echidna not
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Echidna not » Sun 22 Oct, 2017 10:53 pm

undercling-mike wrote:You can get spectra glowire from Tier Gear in Tasmania

Thankyou mike 8) , I’ll check them out ,
Echidna not
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ErichFromm » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 5:55 am

Slightly off topic but can someone explain to me why paracord/550 is so popular? I bought a tonne of the stuff years ago and hate it: holds water so much it's like a wet rag after rain, not as strong as spectra/dyneema and often too slippery for knots like a prusik. I find the basic cord from bunnings is better...

And if the answer is "because you can pull out the inner lines and use as fishing line" why not just include fishing line in your kit?
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Echidna not » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 7:35 am

ErichFromm wrote:Slightly off topic but can someone explain to me why paracord/550 is so popular? I bought a tonne of the stuff years ago and hate it: holds water so much it's like a wet rag after rain, not as strong as spectra/dyneema and often too slippery for knots like a prusik. I find the basic cord from bunnings is better...

And if the answer is "because you can pull out the inner lines and use as fishing line" why not just include fishing line in your kit?

Hi Eric , I’m guessing parra is popular because it’s more well known than spectra/dyneema, I hadn’t heard of either of the two until undlercling-mike mentioned one of them , but now I’ve been made aware of them I will be investigating it more.
And spectra/dyneema probs doesn’t come in as many pretty colours . :lol:
Thanks Eric 8)
Echidna not
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CasualNerd » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 7:44 am

ErichFromm wrote:Slightly off topic but can someone explain to me why paracord/550 is so popular? I bought a tonne of the stuff years ago and hate it: holds water so much it's like a wet rag after rain, not as strong as spectra/dyneema and often too slippery for knots like a prusik. I find the basic cord from bunnings is better...

It's just the equivalent of other well known DIY stuff like duct tape or superglue. It's probably not the best at anything but it's cheap and available.

I got 50feet of orange and reflective paracord to make a dog lead and it was less than $5 I think, certainly has it's uses !
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mark F » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 10:05 am

I think it is a US construct from mililtary specifications but now means 3/16"(?) cord with a woven sheath which of course means that it is unnecessarily heavy for most jobs bushwalkers require it for. Personally I always use a dyneema based cords usually in the 1.5mm to 2.5mm range. For lineloc 3 sliders the best thing I have found is a very light 7mm tape often used on neck lanyards etc.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ErichFromm » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 2:15 pm

Echidna not wrote:

Hi Eric , I’m guessing parra is popular because it’s more well known than spectra/dyneema, I hadn’t heard of either of the two until undlercling-mike mentioned one of them , but now I’ve been made aware of them I will be investigating it more.
And spectra/dyneema probs doesn’t come in as many pretty colours . :lol:
Thanks Eric 8)

Look it up: there is quite a large range of colours for spectra/dyneema. And to give you an idea how strong it is (it's basically cuben fibre) note that you can get thick versions for 4wd winches....
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby teak » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 2:24 pm

I bought some 3mm reflective glowire from Simon at Tier Gear and have been happy with its visibility in torchlight, it helps avoid tripping over the guylines at night. The attached photo will give an idea of the quantity of reflective material woven into the cord.
Attachments
IMGP7314.jpg
teak
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment