UL sleeping bag at Aldi this week

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

UL sleeping bag at Aldi this week

Postby davemal » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 8:08 am

Hi,

On Sat Aldi have some camping gear happening which included an UL sleeping bag for $20. No other relevant details really.

I am considering getting one to convert to a quilt - for use in warm coastal weather obviously and as an around camp blanket at other times. Weight will not be a critical issue (car/boat camping). $20 would not even buy me the fabric to sew one myself.

Has anybody looked at these from previous sales ? Fabric falls apart before your eyes ? Should I spend my $20 elsewhere ?

cheers
davemal
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: UL sleeping bag at Aldi this week

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 8:50 am

I did buy one a couple of years ago, it is a very small cut, tiny and skinny and relatively short.
While they are cheap I don't think they are worth buying to use as a project donor.
The bigger rectangular ones they also sell from time to time may be
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby davemal » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 4:56 am

Well rightly or wrongly I grabbed one of these bags the other day, despite Moondog's recommendation.

The size is not an issue for me - in fact, smaller is prob better. The inner lining is perhaps a little light/fragile. The clincher was a guy who was looking at them at the same time as me - He said that he got one last time and that it was 'pretty good'.

Will start working on it at some point..
davemal
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 7:08 am

I bought one a few years ago far a car camping bag boost / lowlands summer trips. I've used it at home too, if I've got cold before bed. I've been really surprised how quickly it warms me up.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby crollsurf » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 5:31 pm

You get what you pay for. I bought a couple a few years back and I guess they are UL at 600g but the material against the skin was clammy/unpleasant and really only useful for summer. You really need a liner. I bought an Aldi liner as well and didn't feel much better.

I think you'll just end up buying 2 bags. The Aldi one and then something better later but who knows, maybe they are better now. At $20 I think not.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 7:17 am

crollsurf wrote:You get what you pay for. I bought a couple a few years back and I guess they are UL at 600g but the material against the skin was clammy/unpleasant and really only useful for summer. You really need a liner. I bought an Aldi liner as well and didn't feel much better.

I think you'll just end up buying 2 bags. The Aldi one and then something better later but who knows, maybe they are better now. At $20 I think not.

That's interesting. Maybe there's more than one type? I bought mine about 4 years ago. I like the feel of the material against my skin. It feels warm really quickly. I've used it as a 'liner' to boost another bag.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 7:37 am

Yes I think there may have been more than one type of fabric used at various times
I cannot remember what the one I gave away used tho but fabric feel against the skin is a very personal matter.
Never bothered me as I always wear a hygiene layer to minimise the need to wash the sleeping bags
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Tortoise » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:47 am

Moondog55 wrote: I always wear a hygiene layer to minimise the need to wash the sleeping bags

So do I, except for $19 bags. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rurik » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 3:19 pm

I brought some for my kids a few years ago and they are pretty good. My oldest son uses his in conjunction with the down bag from Aldi and tells me he is warm down to -5. So for less then $150 he got a bag that does him all year around in the Canberra area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Equipment