Tent Advice (3+ Seasons)

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tent Advice (3+ Seasons)

Postby t21wolves » Sun 29 Oct, 2017 1:17 pm

Hello - looking for a recommendation on a tent. My primary reason for buying is for a 5-day winter trek in the Australian Alps Walking Track, but I want something flexible as well. Here are some of my considerations:

-Primarily for a 5-day snow shoe trek (no mountaineering/climbing)
-That is about as extreme a trip as I do (no month long trips, etc. planned)
-Room for 2 adults (me & my wife)
-While weight is important, this is the longest trip I'll probably do, so it's not quite as important as comfort, space and durability
-Room to sit upright comfortably (I'm 6 feet tall)
-Something I can use in all temperatures (I'd rather add an appropriate bivy/liner/sleep mat/sleeping bag/etc. than get a tent that is unsuitable for summer heat as well as my planned winter trip)
-Gear can be in the tent (if there's room) or just a vestibule
-Weight is important, but like I mentioned before, not a top concern. I'd rather get the other features met and have an extra pound or two to carry.

I'm primarily looking at the One Planet Goondie 2 and the Marmot Tungsten 2. A friend really likes the Mont Moondance, but I think the Goondie edges it out.

-One Earth Goondie 2 - I really like the stable construction/pole design, thick floor (no footprint necessary), and ability to get the mesh with thicker fly meaning more suitable for year round and this trip's possible snow. With the mesh inner and thicker outer, and strong pole/design I think it hits the mark of being strong enough for a moderate snow on this trip and still being suitable for warmer temperatures. The Melbourne store staff was awesome and I've read great things about their service, which inspires a lot of confidence in buying this brand

-Marmot Tungsten 2 - at about half the price, this is tempting; probably not quite as solid, but has rave reviews everywhere I look and allows more money for other gear needed. It's a bit bigger inside, and so a little heavier plus would need a footprint and is a bit bulkier, though.

I'm leaning toward the Goondie right now - any thoughts on these two tents (or a really strong case for another option)?

Thanks!
t21wolves
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Tent Advice (3+ Seasons)

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 29 Oct, 2017 10:39 pm

Winter on snowshoes on the AWT ?
I hope you are thinking about the SNOW version and not the one with mainly mesh
I'm of the opinion and it is only an opinion that winter in the High Country can be as bad as anywhere in the world and you really need to be prepared for the worst.
The goondie2 is not a 3+ season tent in my experience although it is fine below the snow line, the downside is that in summer you would need a proper summer tent as well. The Goondie does not have valances so be prepared to sew on buttons to take them or sew them on yourselves [ never understood why Andrew doesn't supply them as standard] Hilleberg 3 pole tunnels and the Macpac Olympus are the gold standard for 2 people up there.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Mon 30 Oct, 2017 4:53 am

I ski and snowshoe along the AAWT all the time and have had great success using a floorless Mid even in some serious weather.

I wouldn’t use them on exposed ridges above treeline in winter but for everything else mids are awesome. They are lightweight and super easy to setup. They have a lot of space and you can dig out gear storage/cooking trenches in them.

I’m using this currently without the inner - http://locusgear.com/items/khafra-hb/?lang=en

This thing is HUGE! I’m 6’2” and can sit upright without issue. You could sleep four in this with out worry.

I have also used a Mountain Laurel Designs duomid but found it a little cramped.

If you have any questions let me know.
Attachments
E9BA7B5C-1312-4BE1-86EE-542D5123DF9D.jpeg
9CCED3F5-5473-42C6-BE24-49BC8363CF5A.jpeg
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 30 Oct, 2017 6:39 am

Used the Chouninard/Black Diamond Megamid myself a lot, also suffered a few broken poles in them, had them collapse with heavy wet snow load and deform badly in very high winds.
Great tents but not for snow country beginners.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Mon 30 Oct, 2017 7:19 am

Not enough tie outs on the megamids to truely baton them down.

You will find endless posts about people who have had broken poles in hillebergs and had expeds collapse...

I disagree about mids not being for beginners. Far less “moving parts” than tents. Also in bad weather you can always supplement the pole with another or even a stick for reinforcement.

You would need to constantly knock snow off any tunnel tent during a storm anyway.

The only tent I have ever owned that was truly bombproof was the Hilleberg Soulo. I slept like a baby in that thing. Shame it weighs so much...
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 30 Oct, 2017 7:46 am

Fewer parts is why I like them but for me it is the quick set-up time where they shine. As for factory tie-outs I agree, I always added more
I have always liked the Soris from locus gear, stronger than the MSR twin Brothers but that is a group shelter
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Mon 30 Oct, 2017 7:54 am

Love the look of the Soris. It would be a great Basecamp tent.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby t21wolves » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys! Yes, my group is snowshoeing a 5-day section of the trail in Victoria!

I am indeed looking at the Goondie with mesh inner and thicker 30D rain fly. From what I've read, it's 3-6 degrees colder with a full nylon vs. mesh inner. My thought was that with a suitable sleeping bag (comfort to -15 or so), it would work. I do want a full tent - maybe something like the floorless one in the future! Obviously we'll need to be prepared for a bad weather change, but if bad weather is predicted, we'd push to another time and my group will be making camp near some of the huts (like Roper Hut), not any exposed ridges, etc. Let me know if this seems to make sense or if I'm missing something - if the floor-less tent would work, wouldn't the Goondie?

Also, thanks for bringing up the valances. I don't have any experience there - what product would I buy to sew on? If it's a freestanding tent, do you need that also (I assume for the vestibule?) Can I just substitute a buried waterproof bag for a peg if they won't stay in the ground?

I did look at the Hillberg tents - they look awesome, but out of my budget. The Goondie is already more than I wanted to pay (hence my consideration of the cheaper Marmot Tungsten). Still need some money for other gear, it will be my first winter backpacking trip!
t21wolves
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 11:48 pm

Floorless tarps like the Megamid work for me because I use a full Goretex bivvy and I usually bury the edges if a wind is blowing
Any lightweight synthetic fabric works for a valance, even the cheap coated ripstop from Spotlight. It is a disposable item which is why they often came as separate button on extras years [ decades] ago.
250 to 300mm wide, old shower curtains from the Op-Shop work as donor fabric
Valances are to stop spindrift as well as act as secondary anchors, No-See-Em mesh won't stop spindrift
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 12:57 am

t21wolves wrote:if the floor-less tent would work, wouldn't the Goondie?

Yes, the Goondie would work but at a huge weight penalty, hence the suggestions for the mid. I think the goondie is 2kg vs 600g for the mid I suggested. Some people think the more heavy duty their gear is in winter the safer they will be but heavy duty = heavy a lot of the time. I think being lightweight and flexible is a lot safer in the Alpine (summer and snow) than weighed down. Knowing where to pitch a tent is paramount in the snow.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drew » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 8:36 am

If it's just the one snow trip that you have planned, then maybe buying a 4 season tent is overkill. You'll spend more and end up with a tent that's not suited to the conditions that you'll use it in the majority of the time (too heavy, too hot). Maybe consider hiring/borrowing a 4 season tent for that one trip and instead buy a tent that's suited to the majority of your trips. If you end up doing lots more snow trips then you'll probably want a separate dedicated winter tent.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 8:50 am

There may even be forum members willing to loan you a suitable tent at "Mates Rates"
I won't be using my own FairyDown Plateau this coming season but that may be too much weight for you, absolute bomber of a tent tho and I also have here a FairyDown Assault spare that was a PIF from Sambar358
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 10:51 am

Take a look at the Tarptent Scarp 2 :
https://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html
With the X poles (for snow loads) is just a bit lighter than the Goondie but when you don't need those poles you are down to about 1.7 kg and have a larger tent.
The floor is wider and it is all usable because of the vertical ends. A bit more headroom too.
You can get either a mesh or a solid (fabric) inner , even with the solid inner you still get a lot of air flow (if you want) with the end bottom vents and the sliding up the pole fly panels .
You can contact me at franco@tarptent.com.
I don't sell them but might be able to help you with some details.
Scarp 2 1.jpg
Scarp 2 1.jpg (108.38 KiB) Viewed 9552 times

scarp2-3.jpg
scarp2-3.jpg (62.3 KiB) Viewed 9552 times
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gbedford » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 9:46 pm

The Goondie will be fine with the fabric inner. The problem with the mesh inner in snow country is that in a bad storm you will get spindrift snow blowing in. The Goondie mesh inner does have lower fabric walls which will block most of the wind blown snow. It all depends on the nature of the storm. If the snow is wet and heavy then less of a problem than with cold and light snow. The mesh inner also means the internal environment will be colder.
Having said that Franco is right about the Scarp being larger and lighter. I have used a Goondie for 14 days straight in summer and there is enough room for two but I enjoy a bit more width. The vestibules are a good size and bigger than the Scarp, which is important in bad weather. The Scarp does have a lighter floor.
I have a Big Sky Revolution which is bigger internally than the Goondie with reasonably sized vestibules but does have a lighter floor; I use a ground sheet under it. Bought mine at Backpacking Light in Melbourne.
gbedford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment