~5000m Gear Input - 3 Passes - Nepal - early March 2018

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

~5000m Gear Input - 3 Passes - Nepal - early March 2018

Postby Flipper Hands » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 11:56 pm

Hello all,

After reviewing all the threads on the board and doing much reviewing and tinkering regarding gear, I would like some input on my kit. I am carrying solo, and staying in tea houses. Weight is a concern, but I am well into my training routine, lugging about 10kg of water. If at any time I feel uncomfortable, I will get a guide/porter. I've spent a little time with snow around in the Snowies, but I am no alpine hiker.

I have about a week at ~5000m. Days in March at that altitude top out at around -10C, nights get down to -25C, tea house rooms are not heated. This is the period I am concerned about. I think I have a nice layering set up for the days, with plenty of flexibility. I have fresh base layers for sleeping and am happy to layer up again at night as required, and spoon a couple warm Platys.

Sleep gear will be a Tiergear Possum 180 -1c Wide Top Quilt (Primaloft) with a Thermaltake Thermalite Reactor Extreme Liner. I also own a Sol Escape Bivy I could use to supplement the liner and quilt. Tea house blankets will be used as well. Most guided tours recommend a -10C or -15C bag, and I am way out of that range.
Q1. Should I buy a more appropriate bag, and streamline my setup?

Rain/wind gear will be a Marmot Essence jacket and Marmot Precip pants, of course I will also have insulation options under these if needed. I also own a cheapie (lined) Aldi Goretex jacket and pants, but to me these feel over the top for the day and I am not planning on taking them.
Q2. Is the thin rain/wind gear appropriate for these altitudes and temperatures, or should I go for the cheap Goretex?

I walk warm once I get going, so I am expecting to go most days wearing only Mountain Designs Glacier Softshell Pants on my legs. I could add the base layer I plan to carry in an emergency/cold day.
Q3. As above, are the Glacier Softshells appropriate, or should I look to add fleece pants or similar to the kit as well?

Thanks in advance for any advice :D

Head
Baseball Cap 100
Buff 40
Sunglasses 40
Glasses 100
Windproof Balaclava (bike) 65
245g

Hands
Montane Prism Glove 52
Montane Minimus Mitt 44
Watch
96g

Upper Body
MacPac Merino 220 base layer 240
Shirt: XTM Merino Mens T-Shirt - Black 170
Lyell Merino 180 Polo Shirt V2 Mens Charcoal Marle XL 260
Rain/Wind Jacket: Marmot Essence XL 180
Kathmandu Hooded Merino Mid Lite 449
Macpac Pulsar Insulated Hooded Jacket (Primaloft) 450
1749g

Lower Body
MacPac Merino 180 Boxers Mens 100
MacPac Merino 180 Boxers Mens 100
MacPac Merino 220 Pants Mens 180
Mountain Designs Men’s Glacier 16 Softshell Pants 447
Rain Pants: Marmot Precip Pants 252
1079g

Feet
INJINJI SPORT CREW PERFORMANCE TOE SOCKS – BLACK 50
INJINJI SPORT CREW PERFORMANCE TOE SOCKS – BLACK 50
Icebreaker Heavy Wool Socks 100
Sealskinz Trekking Thick Mid Socks 100
EXTREMITIES TAY GORE-TEX GAITER , BLACK, L/XL 90
Ankle guards x 2 (nylon strapping) 100
Mountain Design fleece booties 60
La Sportiva TX4 APPROACH 760
Edlelrid Spiderpick Snow Chains 474
1784g

Pack
Osprey Aether 70 XL 2350
Sea to Summit ULTRA-SIL® PACK COVER 130
Black Diamond Trail Back Trekking Poles (Pair) 608
Leatherman Multitool (hip pouch) 150
3238g

Sleeping
Tiergear Possum 180 -1c Wide Top Quilt (Primaloft) 750
Thermaltake Thermalite Reactor Extreme Liner 400
Sea to Summit AEROS PREMIUM PILLOW 114
Earplugs 5
1269g
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: ~5000m Gear Input - 3 Passes - Nepal - early March 2018

Postby wayno » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 5:52 am

search the forum, this has been argued before at length.
you're going to be cold as soon as you stop especially early and late in the day... get a decent down jacket and not an ultralight one.
flag the merino jacket, too heavy, holds too much sweat. get a fleece.
get a down sleeping bag, far warmer for the weight and bulk. those liners are heavy and dont provide much warmth for the weight.
personally, dont agonise over weight, make sure you are going to be warm enough or the weight saving defeats the purpose of the exercise.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Flipper Hands » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 7:11 am

Thanks Wayno,

wayno wrote:search the forum, this has been argued before at length.
Really sorry for another gear thread. I have searched, that's how I ended up with the list as it is. To be fair though, there is a fair degree of disagreement about what is right or wrong both on this forum and elsewhere.

wayno wrote:you're going to be cold as soon as you stop especially early and late in the day... get a decent down jacket and not an ultralight one.
I have a Macpac Pulsar on the list. Does this not qualify as a decent down jacket?

wayno wrote:flag the merino jacket, too heavy, holds too much sweat. get a fleece.
Done. I have a a Helly Hansen Daybreaker Fleece Jacket. Will this do the job?

wayno wrote:get a down sleeping bag, far warmer for the weight and bulk. those liners are heavy and don't provide much warmth for the weight.
I have been looking at bags, a Marmot Helium (-9C) is in the lead at the moment, or I may hire.

wayno wrote:personally, dont agonise over weight, make sure you are going to be warm enough or the weight saving defeats the purpose of the exercise.
I hear you, that's why I am here.
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wayno » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 7:21 am

pulsar isnt down, its synthetic fill, nowhere near as much loft or as warm as the average down jacket, they are more for use in cool conditions or active in cold conditions, down jacket will cover you when you're not moving or you're still for a long period of time...

that fleece is ok, again not as warm as a down jacket, fleeces again are more for when you're moving and its cold or cool conditions sitting around.
its a 100 weight fleece which is the thinner end of fleeces, 200 weight are warmer but bulkier, again with a down jacket you're less likely to need a heavier weight of fleece..
the marmot bag should be ok, the down jacket helps if the bag gets too cold.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 7:50 am

Just general information ideas not specifics
Mattress System?
Warm pants could add a lot of comfort, the quilt over a LW down bag and ditch the Thermaltake liner
If the Pulsar is big enough? layer over a Uniqlo UL down but getting a decent down parka [ I think you really need a hood and the longer length] would be much better, not really a place for UL down IMO, warmer is better
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Flipper Hands » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 7:55 am

wayno wrote:pulsar isnt down, its synthetic fill, nowhere near as much loft or as warm as the average down jacket, they are more for use in cool conditions or active in cold conditions, down jacket will cover you when you're not moving or you're still for a long period of time...
Ok - sounds like I should ditch it. I knew that the Pulsar was synthetic, but I have never worn it in any condition that challenged it - even at rest. I have a Macpac Uber Light Down Vest I could throw on over the fleece when stopped. Alternatively I could steal my sons Macpac Halo Down Jacket

wayno wrote:that fleece is ok, again not as warm as a down jacket, fleeces again are more for when you're moving and its cold or cool conditions sitting around.
its a 100 weight fleece which is the thinner end of fleeces, 200 weight are warmer but bulkier, again with a down jacket you're less likely to need a heavier weight of fleece..
So for walking how does the 100 weight fleece supplemented by the Marmot Essence if windy sound? Halo Down Jacket in reserve and for rest/night?

wayno wrote:the marmot bag should be ok, the down jacket helps if the bag gets too cold.
Sweet.

Thanks again for the reply, it really helps to have someone with real world experience help cut through the alternatives. Shop staff end up confusing the issue.
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 8:01 am

Will your sons Halo layer over your own Pulsar?
That combo would be adequate if a warm enough hat was worn, so take a buff and/or a decent balaclava

Macpac have their Arrowsmith on clearance if you needed a Large or a Medium
It never came in XXL or I may have bought one for my own use even tho it is very short in the body
https://www.macpac.com.au/clearance/men ... -mens.html
Last edited by Moondog55 on Thu 02 Nov, 2017 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 8:11 am

halo is better, uber light is getting pretty light, depends what your experience is with weather this cold. different people need differing amounts of clothes.. some of the lighter down jackets down have uniform down distribution and more cold spots...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Flipper Hands » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 8:14 am

Moondog55 wrote:Just general information ideas not specifics
Mattress System?
Was not planning on a mattress, assuming the tea house beds will do the job. Bad idea?

Moondog55 wrote:Warm pants could add a lot of comfort, the quilt over a LW down bag and ditch the Thermaltake liner
If the Pulsar is big enough? layer over a Uniqlo UL down but getting a decent down parka [ I think you really need a hood and the longer length] would be much better, not really a place for UL down IMO, warmer is better

By warm pants - would fleece work? Quilt over a UL down bag might be an option and more practical for me. Pulsar is big enough to layer over a Macpac UL vest I have (see above). The Pulsar is the only jacket I have with a hood currently, I don't have anything with length.
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Flipper Hands » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 8:20 am

Moondog55 wrote:Will your sons Halo layer over your own Pulsar?
That combo would be adequate if a warm enough hat was worn, so take a buff and/or a decent balaclava

I will give it a shot.
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Flipper Hands » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 8:32 am

wayno wrote:halo is better, uber light is getting pretty light, depends what your experience is with weather this cold. different people need differing amounts of clothes.. some of the lighter down jackets down have uniform down distribution and more cold spots...

For reference I am very tolerant to Aussie cold. Glacier pants, Pulsar and Merino base was all I needed fussing around camp at 1800m with snow down during a windy evening (I guess around -3C) in the Australian Alps. Once I settled and the wind really set in later in the evening in I needed more. I think I dropped the HH fleece under the Pulsar.

That said. -10C days with the potential for huge wind chill is far beyond my experience.

I will pencil in the Halo, it has no hood, but I have a great balaclava from my motorcycling days.
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Flipper Hands » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 8:37 am

Moondog55 wrote:Macpac have their Arrowsmith on clearance if you needed a Large or a Medium
It never came in XXL or I may have bought one for my own use even tho it is very short in the body
https://www.macpac.com.au/clearance/men ... -mens.html

Missed this. I am an XL, or I might have picked that up.
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 8:38 am

Fleece works. Can you sew? Because a pair of DIY pull-on fleece pants is as cheap and easy as it gets, big and wide enough to pull on over boots etc A pajama pattern works best for these even better with a LW windproof layer over the top and just to below the knee is long enough, weighs only a couple of hundred grams
Personally I use cheap US Army surplus winter liners when I don't want to ruin my good winter insulated pants or really cheap skiing bib&brace or ALDI snowboard pants with the gaiters cut off
Remember to take insect spray for the fleas and bedbugs
That Marmot Helium under the synthetic quilt should be OK down to -20C; with adequate clothing inside it even lower, I did think the Possum used APEX insulation tho which is better for quilts.
Cecile could sew you up a pair of warm pants if you were up for it as we have some spare generic fleece
Sending you a PM too
Last edited by Moondog55 on Thu 02 Nov, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Flipper Hands » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 8:50 am

Flipper Hands wrote:
Moondog55 wrote:Will your sons Halo layer over your own Pulsar?

I will give it a shot.

Just tried Pulsar + Halo together. They fit like they were designed to work together. I'm n?ow thinking walking in the Pulsar rather than a fleece might be a better option. I could still take a fleece, or maybe take the UL down vest for lower altitude walking?
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Flipper Hands » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 9:02 am

Moondog55 wrote:Fleece works. Can you sew? Because a pair of DIY pull-on fleece pants is as cheap and easy as it gets, big and wide enough to pull on over boots etc A pajama pattern works best for these even better with a LW windproof layer over the top and just to below the knee is long enough, weighs only a couple of hundred grams
Personally I use cheap US Army surplus winter liners when I don't want to ruin my good winter insulated pants or really cheap skiing bib&brace or ALDI snowboard pants with the gaiters cut off
Remember to take insect spray for the fleas and bedbugs
That Marmot Helium under the synthetic quilt should be OK down to -20C; with adequate clothing inside it even lower, I did think the Possum used APEX insulation tho which is better for quilts.
Cecile could sew you up a pair of warm pants if you were up for it as we have some spare generic fleece
Sending you a PM too

I can't sew, but Mrs Flipper is skilled somewhat.
Insect spray added to the list.
If I buy the Helium, I wont take the Possum. I'll be inside, and layer up plus add blankets.
I may well take you up on the fleece pant offer. Thank you.
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby RonK » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 9:06 am

Since you are going in March, I think it's unlikely to be as cold as you have posted. Over several spring treks I can't recall temps getting lower than about -15c overnight in the Khumbu and I'd be very surprised if daytime temps are as low as -10. And if you get sunny weather (which I'd expect) it can be quite warm.

I use a Marmot Helium, my wife a Marmot Lithium for trekking. The Helium has always been warm enough for me, in fact I rarely needed to zip it up fully - and I'm talking about autumn camping treks, not tea-housing. Only above Dingboche did I fully zip up.

I'm not familiar with most the clothing you list. I would take a good down jacket and microfleece pants for the teahouses, hut booties, beanie.

I always walked in shorts and gaiters, at higher altitudes with thermals underneath, rain pants over for snow, thermal top, a 150 fleece or softshell jacket depending on the temp. I've never walked in fleece pants. I've used several hard shells, not just for rain but as another layer against wind chill when necessary. You don't need an technical shell, a Marmot Precip worked just fine for me and was a lot lighter than the three-layer Goretex I've also used. Make sure it has pit zips.

You will of course need good socks and gloves. Don't forget to take sunscreen, a sun hat with a lanyard like the one I'm wearing - your ears will burn in a cap. And good wrap around sunglasses - if there is snow it can be blinding.

Buy a couple of cheap cotton sarongs in Thamel, their uses are endless and I always trekked with one around my neck, as you can se.

Something else to think about - teahouse bedding is not unlikely to have bedbugs. One other thing. Take a roll of toilet paper. The longest one you can find.

If you don't' want to go to the expense of buying a sleeping bag, you can hire one from Shona's in Thamel. It's best to email her and let her know what you need in advance. She is very knowledgeable and can advise, just tell when and where you'll be trekking.

Shona's Alpine
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Flipper Hands » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 10:11 am

RonK wrote:Since you are going in March, I think it's unlikely to be as cold as you have posted. Over several spring treks I can't recall temps getting lower than about -15c overnight in the Khumbu and I'd be very surprised if daytime temps are as low as -10. And if you get sunny weather (which I'd expect) it can be quite warm.

I use a Marmot Helium, my wife a Marmot Lithium for trekking. The Helium has always been warm enough for me, in fact I rarely needed to zip it up fully - and I'm talking about autumn camping treks, not tea-housing. Only above Dingboche did I fully zip up.

I'm not familiar with most the clothing you list. I would take a good down jacket and microfleece pants for the teahouses, hut booties, beanie.

I always walked in shorts and gaiters, at higher altitudes with thermals underneath, rain pants over for snow, thermal top, a 150 fleece or softshell jacket depending on the temp. I've never walked in fleece pants. I've used several hard shells, not just for rain but as another layer against wind chill when necessary. You don't need an technical shell, a Marmot Precip worked just fine for me and was a lot lighter than the three-layer Goretex I've also used. Make sure it has pit zips.

You will of course need good socks and gloves. Don't forget to take sunscreen, a sun hat with a lanyard like the one I'm wearing - your ears will burn in a cap. And good wrap around sunglasses - if there is snow it can be blinding.

Buy a couple of cheap cotton sarongs in Thamel, their uses are endless and I always trekked with one around my neck, as you can se.

Something else to think about - teahouse bedding is not unlikely to have bedbugs. One other thing. Take a roll of toilet paper. The longest one you can find.

If you don't' want to go to the expense of buying a sleeping bag, you can hire one from Shona's in Thamel. It's best to email her and let her know what you need in advance. She is very knowledgeable and can advise, just tell when and where you'll be trekking.

Shona's Alpine
Thanks for the detailed reply Ron, my comments on the weather come from information on weather in Lobuche last March (I'll actually start late Feb) from here;

https://www.worldweatheronline.com/lobu ... es/np.aspx

I'm concerned because I will be spending 7 or so days at or around 5000m. Not a quick up and back to EBC.

I will absolutely be over prepared for the walk up to that altitude.

Thoughts?

I'll absolutely consider the rest of your information once we are past the weather question.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Drew » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 11:23 am

Since you are going in March, I think it's unlikely to be as cold as you have posted. Over several spring treks I can't recall temps getting lower than about -15c overnight in the Khumbu and I'd be very surprised if daytime temps are as low as -10. And if you get sunny weather (which I'd expect) it can be quite warm.

Sounds too cold to me. I was there in October a few years ago and it was nowhere near that cold (maybe got down to -10 overnight). Different time of year I know, but you could look at weather records from the same website for Octobers and see what it says - it might be completely inaccurate. Or just read some trip reports from early March and see what people say about temps.

You'll be fine with tea house mattresses, no need to take a mat.

The coldest time is sitting around tea houses in the afternoon before they light the fire. Often you'll be in your sleeping bag then.
Drew

Postby Flipper Hands » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 11:57 am

Drew wrote:
Sounds too cold to me. I was there in October a few years ago and it was nowhere near that cold (maybe got down to -10 overnight). Different time of year I know, but you could look at weather records from the same website for Octobers and see what it says - it might be completely inaccurate. Or just read some trip reports from early March and see what people say about temps.

You'll be fine with tea house mattresses, no need to take a mat.

The coldest time is sitting around tea houses in the afternoon before they light the fire. Often you'll be in your sleeping bag then.

The same website shows October 2016 as;
Max -3C
Average -6C
Min -12C

So significantly colder in March 2017, being;
Max -10C
Average -14C
Min -21C

Were you doing 3 Passes? Your -10C recollection seems to confirm the site's data.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Drew » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 1:22 pm

Yep, I did 3 Passes. Well, only 2 actual passes in the end thanks to a big dump of snow. I have a trip report on here somewhere if you're interested.

Sounds like it will be colder then! Although those temps for Oct seem colder than what we experienced I think. Hard to know for sure as when the sun is out it can feel so warm.
Drew

Postby johnrs » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 3:11 pm

Heh FH
Some long time ago in late November I stumbled over the Cho La in my woollen school long pants, with a Mountain mule H frame pack,
other gear was a sunshade, some Paddy Gorilla leather boots, a cotton T shirt, a pair of stubbies, a very light wool shirt, a local beany,
a bulky down jacket hired in Kathmandu, a home made japara and "superdown" bag and A frame tent, a closed cell foam mat, a pair of
coarse wool socks and a water bottle which froze and became useless. I might have had some gloves too but possibly not.
The directions were: see the notch across the glacier, there's a few cairns and a campsite at the bottom.
We also had a sketch map at about 1:250k which was as useful as my waterbottle.
At Gokyo there were just two smokefilled small shepherds huts.
It was better to sleep in the tent.
Loved the down jacket, it had a really big hood and luxurious handwarmers.

My mate carried a Katadyn pumped ceramic water filter, this was a really good piece of kit,
the only times we got sick were when we had eaten too much yoghurt.
In the upper Khumbu the food was just lots of boiled potatoes and rock salt.
Lower down there was roast millet porridge which was solid but very constipating.
The budget on trail was $2US daily with $1 for permits.
Had a great trip.

Happy trails
John
johnrs

Postby Flipper Hands » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 10:34 pm

RonK wrote:I'm not familiar with most the clothing you list. I would take a good down jacket and microfleece pants for the teahouses, hut booties, beanie.
Check

RonK wrote:I always walked in shorts and gaiters, at higher altitudes with thermals underneath, rain pants over for snow, thermal top, a 150 fleece or softshell jacket depending on the temp. I've never walked in fleece pants. I've used several hard shells, not just for rain but as another layer against wind chill when necessary. You don't need an technical shell, a Marmot Precip worked just fine for me and was a lot lighter than the three-layer Goretex I've also used. Make sure it has pit zips.
I'll add nylon shorts to the list for lower altitudes. For the moment I have decided the Glacier pants alone (with gaiters) will do the job on colder days. I will leave the thermal pants at home in favour of a pair of Montbell Chameece fleece pants I picked up today for the teahouses. I have the Marmot Precip pants that match your jacket, and the Marmot Essence jacket which is a lighter version of the Precip (it does have pit zips). They will be my protection from windchill if required.

RonK wrote:You will of course need good socks and gloves. Don't forget to take sunscreen, a sun hat with a lanyard like the one I'm wearing - your ears will burn in a cap. And good wrap around sunglasses - if there is snow it can be blinding.
Check on the socks, gloves, sunscreen, sunglasses. I'll use a buff over my face and ears (cover your chin in the front and pull the back up and over the back of your head). I intensely dislike sun hats. I like minimal impact to peripheral vision.

RonK wrote:Something else to think about - teahouse bedding is not unlikely to have bedbugs.
What do you recommend to combat fleas and bed bugs? Mortein?

RonK wrote:One other thing. Take a roll of toilet paper. The longest one you can find.
Maybe 2? :)

Thanks for the info. Regarding you comments on the weather, have you ever done 3 Passes during March?
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Flipper Hands » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 10:52 pm

johnrs wrote:Heh FH
Some long time ago in late November I stumbled over the Cho La in my woollen school long pants, with a Mountain mule H frame pack,
other gear was a sunshade, some Paddy Gorilla leather boots, a cotton T shirt, a pair of stubbies, a very light wool shirt, a local beany,
a bulky down jacket hired in Kathmandu, a home made japara and "superdown" bag and A frame tent, a closed cell foam mat, a pair of
coarse wool socks and a water bottle which froze and became useless. I might have had some gloves too but possibly not.
The directions were: see the notch across the glacier, there's a few cairns and a campsite at the bottom.
We also had a sketch map at about 1:250k which was as useful as my waterbottle.
At Gokyo there were just two smokefilled small shepherds huts.
It was better to sleep in the tent.
Loved the down jacket, it had a really big hood and luxurious handwarmers.

My mate carried a Katadyn pumped ceramic water filter, this was a really good piece of kit,
the only times we got sick were when we had eaten too much yoghurt.
In the upper Khumbu the food was just lots of boiled potatoes and rock salt.
Lower down there was roast millet porridge which was solid but very constipating.
The budget on trail was $2US daily with $1 for permits.
Had a great trip.

Happy trails
John

Times have changed eh? I'm probably plannin to take enough for 2! I wish I could have seen it then rather than having to dodge fat Americans all the way up.

I'd imagine you'd have been ok during the day, but the nights must have been uncomfortable in the old A-frame in late November.

I'm curious, do you every look back at that trip and think "whew, that could have ended badly"?
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wayno » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 3:54 am

the essence doesnt have proper pit zips. a couple of small holes with a cover pit zips open up and vent far better than the essence and you can close them wehn you need to
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby davidf » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 6:38 am

I reckon ditch the soft shell pants. Take light weight travel pants and extra long thermals. Lighter and more versitle and you have something to wear on the plane and in town. Scotch gaurd the pants and good chance you wont have to put on over pants. Recomend 3 thermal leggings.nothing is wrong with poly and cheaper than wool.
I also agree with above, get a FO big down bag and jacket. If its that cold its not raining.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Flipper Hands » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 12:13 am

wayno wrote:the essence doesnt have proper pit zips. a couple of small holes with a cover pit zips open up and vent far better than the essence and you can close them wehn you need to

True, but it is light, and does breath better than my an old TNF Venture which has sizeable pit zips, but which is heavier than the Essence. In all but the coldest Aussie conditions I sweat like a beast in it compared to the Essence.

What do you reckon?
My intention was to use the Essence for rain (if any, looks dry usually), and wind.
Is the lack of pit zips a complete deal breaker?
What would you suggest?
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Flipper Hands » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 12:36 am

davidf wrote:I reckon ditch the soft shell pants. Take light weight travel pants and extra long thermals. Lighter and more versitle and you have something to wear on the plane and in town. Scotch gaurd the pants and good chance you wont have to put on over pants. Recomend 3 thermal leggings.nothing is wrong with poly and cheaper than wool.
Ok - those pants are indeed heavy, I do like them though comfortable, decent waterproofing, and completely windproof. My plans are pretty fluid at the moment, and my latest thinking was the Glacier pants only for walking (maybe a pair of Nylon shorts as well), with a pair of fleece pants to go on as well if its unbearably cold. I was going to the Glaciers in town as well (or shorts). Fleece pants normally for camp/sleep.

What about travel pants with one pair of thermals as normal walking setup, with fleece pants as my emergency/camp/sleep pants?

davidf wrote:I also agree with above, get a FO big down bag and jacket. If its that cold its not raining.
Are you suggesting drop all the rain gear? Still deliberating on sleeping (One of Mikes -8C quilts 100g overstuffed is tempting).
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wayno » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 2:33 am

Flipper Hands wrote:
wayno wrote:the essence doesnt have proper pit zips. a couple of small holes with a cover pit zips open up and vent far better than the essence and you can close them wehn you need to

True, but it is light, and does breath better than my an old TNF Venture which has sizeable pit zips, but which is heavier than the Essence. In all but the coldest Aussie conditions I sweat like a beast in it compared to the Essence.

What do you reckon?
My intention was to use the Essence for rain (if any, looks dry usually), and wind.
Is the lack of pit zips a complete deal breaker?
What would you suggest?

it will do the job, pit zips are better, but dont feel compelled to buy something else.. breathable rain jackets stop breathing in prolonged rain, which you're not likely to have that much of on this trip. in sub zero you are using raincoats for windbreakers and you dont have to worry about contacting melting snow getting your clothes wet
physical vents become more important the wetter it gets
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Flipper Hands » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 10:07 am

wayno wrote:it will do the job, pit zips are better, but dont feel compelled to buy something else.. breathable rain jackets stop breathing in prolonged rain, which you're not likely to have that much of on this trip. in sub zero you are using raincoats for windbreakers and you dont have to worry about contacting melting snow getting your clothes wet
physical vents become more important the wetter it gets
Ta Wayno, you are a champion for being so patient with me. So much I do not know, and would rather not learn the hard way :)
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Orion » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 12:11 pm

Pit zips. It depends partly on the conditions and partly on the person. Maybe I perspire less than average, I don't know, but the only times I use pit zips are when I'm overdressed in some big bulky jacket that happens to have them.

My old Marmont Precip didn't have them, my new Precip does. I was fine without them in the old Precip and think that they are just wasted zipperage and a tiny bit of weight in my new, even lighter, jacket.

The Marmot Essence is a pretty flimsy little thing. I've had one for 10 years and bought a new one recently. I think of it as an ultralight jacket, something that you mostly just carry just in case and don't expect to actually use that much. The jacket works, it's just not a serious jacket. The coating is very fragile.

Tea house trekking shouldn't be taxing in terms of carrying weight. Make sure you're warm and comfortable and have what you need to be happy. Is it really that cold in March? I was in the Khumbu in November which should be similar and don't recall it being quite that bad.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Next

Return to Equipment