Looking for a decent cheap sleeping pad

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Looking for a decent cheap sleeping pad

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 7:57 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking for a cheap sleeping pad, preferably under $70. I live in Tasmania and am looking at hiking in the Spring, Summer and Autumn (late spring, early autumn). I'm looking at getting a sleeping pad on amazon or there are a few cheapo Chinese ones that look okay. My main concern is the R value which is rated 2.1. Can anyone recommend me a cheap mat that will be passable? or any sales currently happening that I should have a look at.

Thanks!
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Looking for a decent cheap sleeping pad

Postby Chunder fuzz » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 7:29 am

Not really helping your search but the Chinese ones are not insulated in nearly all cases, just made to look like a popular brand such as S2S etc. I asked many sellers on Aliexpress if they had insulation inside, none of them had any insulation hence the lower R values...even the ones with the slightly higher R values didn't have insulation when asked.
Chunder fuzz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby warnabrother » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 8:48 am

I use the STS insulated ultralight.. its a great mat.. I really wasn't expecting it to be any good to be honest.. we initially bought one for my wife and I slogged on with my Exped.. but after swapping mats one night, I was pretty amazed I wasn't touching the ground and was very comfy.. so ought myself one too..

They're always on sale at Wildearth or Anaconda etc.. I believe the new Rays now keep them too.. R value of 3ish IIRC and very light for the comfort..
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby johnw » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 9:31 am

After my current pad deflated on my last overnight trip (might be punctured - yet to check), I recently bought one of these Klymit pads from Massdrop (you need to sign up to see prices etc but it's free):

Massdrop x Klymit Ultralight V Sleeping Pad https://www.massdrop.com/buy/41689

Specs

Fabric: 20d nylon
Color: Stealth green (top), dark charcoal (bottom)
Insulation: 60 g/m2 synthetic
R-value: 4.4
Flush flat valves
Non-slip coating
Weight, stuff sack: 0.5 oz (14 g)
Designed in Utah

Short Pad
Inflation: 6–10 breaths
Dimensions, inflated: 60 x 20 x 2.5 in (152 x 51 x 6 cm)
Dimensions, packed: 3.5 x 3.5 x 7 in (9 x 9 x 18 cm)
Weight: 14.7 oz (417 g)

Regular Pad
Inflation: 8–12 breaths
Dimensions, inflated: 72 x 20 x 2.5 in (182 x 51 x 6 cm)
Dimensions, packed: 4 x 4 x 7 in (10 x 10 x 18 cm)
Weight: 17.2 oz (488 g)

Long Pad
Inflation: 10-14 breaths
Dimensions, inflated: 76 x 26 x 2.5 in (193 x 66 x 6 cm)
Dimensions, packed: 4.5 x 4.5 x 8 in (11 x 11 x 20 cm)
Weight: 25.6 oz (725 g)

I bought the short version which is fine for me as I'm only ~165-170 cm tall. Tiny packed size and weighs little. Have yet to field test it but in a lounge room test it felt very comfortable and seemed quite warm. I also like the sticky spots underneath to stop it sliding around. Prices are in USD - converted I paid ~A$63-74 shipped to Oz. Might be worth a look as it seems to fit your requirements and not too far off your budget limit, depending on which size you need.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 9:58 am

Cool thanks! Forgot about Massdrop. Might go for these. How long does it take to ship to AUS?
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnw » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 11:10 am

JoeyJibJabber wrote:Cool thanks! Forgot about Massdrop. Might go for these. How long does it take to ship to AUS?

I'd need to double check but it was a bit over 3 weeks from memory (order to delivery). You need to wait for the drop to finish then, for this product, Massdrop gets the pads from Klymit and ships them.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nq111 » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 6:33 pm

CCF mat is cheap, excellent R-value for weight (better than anything else) and foolproof. Only disadvantages are comfort (but we all did fine on them for years, including Tassie) and bulk.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 7:47 pm

nq111 wrote:CCF mat is cheap, excellent R-value for weight (better than anything else) and foolproof. Only disadvantages are comfort (but we all did fine on them for years, including Tassie) and bulk.

You just double up on the torso section
K-Mart etc or the local Aunt Sallies for about $4- S/H
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jeremyw » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 10:44 pm

Moondog55 wrote:K-Mart etc or the local Aunt Sallies for about $4- S/H

Probably won't help OP for more than summer but - kmart has these bright green XPE foam mats at the moment for $4.

130g @ 141x50x0.5cm for basically full length or 80g @ 90x50x0.5cm. Its not EVA, feels less dense, probably won't insulate as well or last as long. It springs back well enough, is closed cell, and all I really need for summer is stick and stone protection and backpack ridigity. - You're not going to get much warmth out of a 1/8th thinlight either heh.
jeremyw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby Rileyr » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 7:53 am

Thermarest z-lite? I love mine. Bulletproof.

There is also the ridge rest - but its really bulky

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2560377832

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 8:40 am

Deals around to further discount, vast range of other gear to add to an order, i'd consider https://www.sierratradingpost.com/sport ... it~b~4173/

Good pads, the valve bayonet fitting will eventually flog out, but that's not a disaster.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ricrunner » Sun 26 Nov, 2017 12:19 pm

In 2016 I bought an Vango Regular 3cm Self Inflating mat from I think Wild Earth. I used it in winter and spring In the New England area, not sure if it is insulated, but it was very warm and did not feel the cold ground in 14 days of average -6 nights here. It rolls up to quite small and weighs very little, which is a requirement for me as I camp and tour by cycling. I think it cost between 50 to 80 dollars del. No problems with it so far. it will be used on an 5000klm tour next Autumn and winter touring Qld an SA.
ricrunner
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment