Terra Nova Superlite Voyager

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Terra Nova Superlite Voyager

Postby bushwalker zane » Mon 27 Nov, 2017 2:34 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm looking at maybe updating tents soon and this beauty caught my eye http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/superlite-voyager-tent/.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this tent, especially if you're from Tassie or have walked a lot with it in Tassie. I currently have a Hilleberg Soulo, which is great, but the idea of a 2 man tent that's in the 1.6kg weight bracket, that has a floor which doesn't seem paper thin is very appealing! According to the website, the floor has a 6,000mm HH on it, although I can't seem to find the denier of the fabric they use. So it would be pretty good for Tassie use (considering Hilleberg run a 10,000mm, 70(?)D fabric), realistically. It looks like no bathtub floor though...
One thing I'm keen for in a new tent is packability and lighter weight, mainly for traveling with. If anyone in Tassie has one, I would LOVE to have a squizz :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Anywho. That's about it. Have one? Tell me yo stories... Please :)

<3
Zane
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Terra Nova Superlite Voyager

Postby johnrs » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi BZ
Terra Nova make solid tents for Scottish/English weather.
I am sure this tent will be solid and dry
but would be concerned about the lack of ventilation.
So good an a cold wet windy day but possibly baking at other times.
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Thu 30 Nov, 2017 9:15 am

According to this review :
10-denier fabrics (20-denier for the floor) survived the journey intact.
https://www.backpacker.com/gear/terra-n ... te-voyager
probably right given the weight.

I had another look...
Some info here :
Watershed® Si2 is a silicone/silicone coated ripstop nylon flysheet fabric designed to be as light and as strong as possible, for specific end uses. Different constructions, yarn types and fabric weaves are used to provide the best performance for specific tent models. Various weights of fabric are used: 7, 10 and 20 denier in the Superlight and Lightweight Series.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/p/help-advi ... erra-nova/
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Thu 30 Nov, 2017 10:11 am

I'd be very concerned about ventilation - Terra Novas do not breathe very well, and the only venting on that appears to be at the front door.
Plus it's inner-first, so pitching it in the rain means the inner gets wet.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby bushwalker zane » Thu 30 Nov, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks for the replies!

In regards to ventilation, anything would be better than my Soulo :lol:. I have had many many nights in it, and love it to bits. But it's breath-ability is terrible. I often find it to be frustratingly damp on my interior tent; and if any wind blows the tent, it literally rains on me inside the tent. The Terra Nova SV seems to have an open vent at the foot end too, so maybe not so bad. Pitched without the fly sheet it could act like a pleasant wind tunnel on baking days.

One main draw for me when I got the Hilleberg, was the outer pitch first design. However, I think I'd prefer an inner pitch first tent for like, 90% of my walking. I've only ever packed the inside up on a few very wet occasions, but on those occasions... Well, see my comment on the ventilation. Is wet, yo.

I've been informed of somewhere I can go to have a squizz at Terra Nova stuff, while not the SV, it will give me a chance for a bo-peep at least :)
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment