4 season tent in summer.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

4 season tent in summer.

Postby Warezy91 » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 8:12 pm

Boxing day sales approach and its time for me to make a decision on a tent.

So Im looking at grabbing a relatively light weight 2p tent for over night hiking. Will mostly be hikes in the blue mountains and in NSW all year round with two people. How ever ild like one thats able to handle the overland track in tas and mt Kosciusko (probably not during winter or when theres regular heavy snow, at least not yet).

So far im looking at the goondie 2, mont moondance 2 and wilderness equipment space 2. I like the sound of the goondie and mont because you can grab the winter inner only for much less than getting a whole new tent when/if i decide to do some harsher winter outings, as far as i know you cant get the wilderness equipment inner separate. The pack size of the mont and the WE seems pretty good, the goondie looks pretty big but its hard to tell as ive only seen it packed in different bags.

Im trying to decide between the 4 season and 3 season versions. My main questions are:
1 - how well will the 4 season versions of these tents stand up if i get more adventurous and want to do Tasmania or the likes closer to winter. My guess is they would be warmer but not suitable for any snow loads or particularly strong winds.
2 - if i went with the 4 season version rather than the 3 season mesh, would i be waking up in a pool of my own sweat in summer, How breathable is it in the hotter months.
3 - does any one have any thoughts on the tent range im looking at or others i should consider instead, so far im leaning towards the WE because i can get it for a good price, ive ruled out some of the lighter options like MSR hubba hubba and Big Agnus Copper because im not too sure about their durability and my ability not to find a way to destroy them.

Would it be best to go with the 3 seasons for more comfort during summer and make sure i have warm enough sleeping gear for the blue mountains in winter, then look at something like a macpac Olympus later on if I end up getting more adventurous during the winter months, or would you recommend going with the 4 seasons to start with.

Sorry if its a basic question, not really sure how much of a warmth difference there is between the 3 and 4 season versions, sales person suggested that the full nylon wouldnt become a sweat box in the summer, but im sceptical. There's not much of a weight difference between the 3 and 4 season for the WE space 2, only around 40g.

Cheers
Warezy91
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: 4 season tent in summer.

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 9:26 pm

I dont have experience with the tents you mention however I do own a four season Macpac Minnaret and its very hot and stuffy in summer or warm spring/autumn conditions. I now own a 3 season tent (tarp tent bowfin) and the Macpac for high wind/snow/winter use. The three season tarptent is fine for blue mountains winter.

So my advice is buy a tent for the conditions you will most likely use it in. It will most likely be lighter and way more comfortable. If you decide you want to do a tassie trip at a later date then borrow a tent or make another purchase.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 9:37 pm

Warezy91 wrote:Would it be best to go with the 3 seasons for more comfort during summer and make sure i have warm enough sleeping gear for the blue mountains in winter, then look at something... if I end up getting more adventurous during the winter months,

...become a sweat box in the summer...

I think you are on the right track there, get another tent if you head for more serious winter stuff.

A breeze is of benefit when it's hotter but can steal your warmth when it's cooler.

For me weight is always a factor when juggling gear options. I don't want to lug around bullet-proof stuff, I'm happy if something gets worn out by use/nature coz then I'll have a reason to search for a solution and try something new :)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 7:44 am

Unless you're doing a lot of sidetrips and intending to camp in the more exposed areas during those trips, and the weather goes particularly nasty while you're there, a 3 season tent is perfectly adequate for the Overland.

I agree with what the others have said - get what will suit where you will most frequently be.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby johnrs » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 7:48 am

Heh W91
If you have dual side entry you can get a cooling air flow even in the heat
so the winter versions can be used all year round
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby davidf » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 9:04 am

I use a MLD mid for bad conditions, ie 4 season otherwise a simple tarp.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 10:45 am

I would rather use a 3 season tent in Tasmania, than a 4 season tent in summer. Side entry with dual entrances gives good airflow.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 11:13 am

Perhaps the ideal is a tent that can offer both options
Assuming the dollars are there some makers offer both a full non-mesh inner and a mesh inner
It is the same fly and frame poles but the mesh inner is naturally that tad bit lighter
I admit that it isn't much cheaper tho than simply buying different tents for the different seasons.
An option in summer can be the mesh inner and a simple rectangular fly; good ventilation and bug-proof and a tarp fly is cheaper to replace than the shaped one from the tent
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby RonK » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 5:19 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Perhaps the ideal is a tent that can offer both options
Assuming the dollars are there some makers offer both a full non-mesh inner and a mesh inner
It is the same fly and frame poles but the mesh inner is naturally that tad bit lighter
I admit that it isn't much cheaper tho than simply buying different tents for the different seasons.
An option in summer can be the mesh inner and a simple rectangular fly; good ventilation and bug-proof and a tarp fly is cheaper to replace than the shaped one from the tent

One of these perhaps.

Big Sky Chinook
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby Neo » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 5:33 pm

Hmm still got my eye on a Bigsky Mirage 2p but no longer making that model.
Edit: ('twas a single skin tent)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby nq111 » Sat 23 Dec, 2017 11:42 am

I only had a four season tent for many years when I was younger. It was the Macpac Olympus. I never had a problem with it in the summer in Southern Queensland, NSW, Victoria or Tassie. I did try it in North Queensland (in Autumn) once however and it was terrible. Didn't manage to fall asleep until about 2am due to the stuffiness.

I think where the nights cool off a bit (not super humid and still like it can be in the tropics) a four season tent with good ventilation is workable.
nq111

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment