Tarptent - Quality & Customer Service - Thumbs Up

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tarptent - Quality & Customer Service - Thumbs Up

Postby DonQx » Sat 30 Dec, 2017 3:32 pm

3 of us went to Lake Rhona over Xmas. Luvly thing to do, also very nice that we had the lake virtually to ourselves for 2 days. 13 came our way as we started walking out on Boxing Day.

But to the topic ... we had 2 TarpTent Scarp 2's. Both of them about 8 years old and have had plenty of use.

Especially Jill's, which has been to a lot of places, maybe used an average of 8-10 weeks x 7 nites per year (doesn't it suck when some of your friends are retired and do as they please ;-) ? )

Jill also managed to completely wear out the sliders on some of her zippers due to fine dust in Patagonia.

Anyway ... the tents are still in a good condition, given the amount of use they've had and how light the materials are compared "to the old days". They may well last another 8 years. Pretty darn good that is I reckon.

And TarpTent sent Jill a complete set of new zipper sliders when she asked them about where to buy them.

Sooo ... thumbs up, golden stars and whatever to TarpTent for the durability of the tents and for the customer service!

Pics of our tents at Lake Rhona below.

:-) dq.
Attachments
2017-12-23 Lake Rhona walk (17).jpg
2017-12-23 Lake Rhona walk (18).jpg
Can't get enough of cruisy-paced overnite outdoor trips
Trip philosophy at www.ahack.org
Loc close to Hobart
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tarptent - Quality & Customer Service - Thumbs Up

Postby Franco » Sun 31 Dec, 2017 10:59 am

Thank you very much for those comments.
Now everyone will want one of those special edition yellow Scarps.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby emma_melbourne » Sun 31 Dec, 2017 12:32 pm

Great set-up. Looks fab. I'm looking at getting a Tarptent myself.

Is that a solar panel / battery on top of the first photo? If so, I'd love to know what kind. I've been busy researching options for solar battery chargers.

Also Franco, do you know if the Leki Corklite trekking poles will work with the Double Rainbow to go to freestanding mode? They go to 135 but have ability to move out beyond the "max" as there's a bit more pole. (Although I don't know if it's fine or not to do that or not. Or whether I should be buying the trekking pole extenders, which would be a lot of shipping just to get a couple of pole sections.)

Many thanks.

Best,

Emma
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Sun 31 Dec, 2017 2:22 pm

For the DR I would suggest a minimum of 145cm and that is about the maximum in the longer poles.
The TT extenders are 15cm so (because of the pole tips fit inside) you get about an extra 10cm.
I have some here (the TT Easton type) in Creswick, if you have Pay Pal I can send you a pair for $15 inc postage (they are leftover stock...)
I made my own from a curtain rail from Bunnings.
I went there with a pole to find the right size the tip fitted in and then cut that to size.
Mine were 20cm long to avoid having the pole fully extended.
pole extender.jpg
pole extender.jpg (42.77 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby SergeantMcFly » Sun 31 Dec, 2017 3:36 pm

emma_melbourne wrote:Great set-up. Looks fab. I'm looking at getting a Tarptent myself.

Is that a solar panel / battery on top of the first photo? If so, I'd love to know what kind. I've been busy researching options for solar battery chargers.

Also Franco, do you know if the Leki Corklite trekking poles will work with the Double Rainbow to go to freestanding mode? They go to 135 but have ability to move out beyond the "max" as there's a bit more pole. (Although I don't know if it's fine or not to do that or not. Or whether I should be buying the trekking pole extenders, which would be a lot of shipping just to get a couple of pole sections.)

Many thanks.

Best,

Emma

While not OP, for great solar options check out Anker.

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/ ... s/A2422011
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... olar-panel

This one for example is the one I have, they also make a 21W (albeit larger 3 panel) version. For the price point, they are amazing and I have yet to be let down with mine.
SergeantMcFly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby ricrunner » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 5:02 pm

Where do you get these Anker solar panels from, here in OZ or off shore.
ricrunner
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Stew63 » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 9:40 am

I'm really happy with my UL Locus Gear Khafra but I need an additional hiking tent for the kids. Scarp1?
Q. If I purchase a TarpTent - is it stocked/shipped by the local rep here (Franco?) or direct from US?
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Franco » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 10:45 am

All Tarptent sales are via TT USA.
There are a few "resellers" in Europe but they do that more or less as a hobby and because some don't like to do the custom work (there is an import duty into the EU) they do that for the customer.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment