Choosing a hiking tent....

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Choosing a hiking tent....

Postby Neo » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 10:52 pm

I just checked out the Hogback. Pure luxury at 1.9kg! Why didn't I notice it before?!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 7:53 am

lots of Tarptent comments here...
We have a few changes coming up for this year as far as presenting the product plus some new products too.
One change will make the different types of tents we have a bit more obvious.
Tarptent refers to the original design (a fully enclosed tarp but single wall) but several of our shelters (like the Scarp 2) are full double wall tents so not all that different from most retail brands as far as setting them up.
They all go up as one (integral pitch) so that you set up the fly with the inner inside it (if there is one...)
To FMN I would suggest the Scarp 2 but it would be over the budget by the time it gets here .
However at 1.7 kg it is larger than most , has good headroom and good ventilation if required.
The mesh inner would be my choice for the intended use.
franco@tarptent.com
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby FNM » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 9:36 am

Thanks Franco. The Scarp 2 in each cheapest form (without extra poles, full mesh) would be around the $520 mark, which is the absolute upper end of my budget (probably beyond really). Food for thought. I like that I can add the other components later on if I feel I will be heading into environments that require them.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:28 am

Curve ball being thrown
Simple is better where your first tent is concerned
If you ever need to use in a place where it is going to be wet wet wet [ SW Tassie/NZ] make sure you have covered space to store gear in
Before you buy check out REI too, some of the old standard REI designs are old standards for a reason and REI has some of the cheapest shipping as well. Also cheack out all tents that have optional add-on vestibules; this allows the use of the same tent in a wet winter as well as in a hot summer and in a hot summer think about taking an extra tarp to use as a shaded porch area. Silpoly is so light that you could do so for a very small weight penalty and get by with a smaller and lighter tent. Also tarps can be used to sister up a couple of smaller tents to give a large sheltered communal space which can be handy when you have two tents with dual entrances All the old Bill Moss tents had a strong "D" ring to allow such use of his Tent Wing fly [ now the MSR "Twing"]
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Equipment