Removing down from my big parka

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Removing down from my big parka

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 12:04 pm

Nobody is interested in buying it and it is far too warm for anywhere except the Antarctic or Everest and it is now too tight to fit over mid- layers.
Too be able to use it I am thinking of simply opening up a few seams and removing some of the down from the sleeves and body.
I'm wondering how much to remove. It is 50% overfilled so I thought that if I just took a couple of hundred grams out it would be OK but then I thought that I should leave it a little overfilled to a small degree.
I won't take any from the collar or the hood as those are not overfilled. I'm open to any and all opinions on how much of the 600 grams to remove. It has 650 grams of 650 FP down in it but 50 of those are going to be in the hood and collar. I realise that this is only going to be approximate but if I take a handful of down from each sleeve compartment and 3 from each torso compartment I thought I might come close.
Even 400 grams of fill is going to be a reasonably warm mid-layer
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment