3p 3 season tent for predominantly car camping

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

3p 3 season tent for predominantly car camping

Postby jenand » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi all

I've read through all the info in the thread re recommendations for hiking tents with interest. Thanks for all that info. I'm after something similar., but don't need UL.

Most of my camping is now in Sthn Africa. And most of that in the Kalahari. I'm with a vehicle, so weight isn't' my main concern atm. It's strength/durability in wind and storms, and ventilation.

Have camped about 500 nights with my current tent (Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 3), but it's on its last legs and is almost more patch than original tent now. It's been (generally) v good and survived lots wild weather incl downed trees (onto the tent!).

I'm looking for some suggestions please, that I can purchase in Australia and take back to South Africa as the range is so small there.

I'm looking for a 3 season that can handle the conditions

* It's hot! So mesh walls/doors or low windows on all sides, I think. And must be able to fold back fly fully (if not a single wall) for through ventilation... Not just open 1 lousy door.
* There are frequent violent storms. Esp in summer. Usually v heavy rain and crazy winds. And often dust storms. All mesh concerns me re the dust coming under fly...
* 2 door
* I sleep on a mat on the ground, so don't want nylon all around a lower levels. Need ventilation.
* Don't care about vestibules. Most stuff will be in the car and I can't leave things outside due to snakes/scorpions/jackals etc
* Need a footprint (ok if needed to purchase separately). Lots of stones and thorns (and creepy crawlies under the floor at night)
* If it can handle winter camping in the desert (about -8C) that would be great - but I truthfully do more in summer. Am most concerned about winds.

Have been umming and ahhing at a few and would love some input please.
Wilderness Equipment Space 3 - very hard to find any reviews
Sierra Designs Flash 3 - Can this be set up by 1 person? Differing opinions. And reviews say threading the long poles is a total pain. How does it go in strong wind?
Alps Mountaineering Aries 3 - ?
Tarptent - Double Rainbow - Would prefer a 3p tent... Strong enough for high winds?

Budget - I'm assuming I'll be paying $500-$800 at a guess.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.
jenand
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: 3p 3 season tent for predominantly car camping

Postby weeds » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 6:23 pm

Tarptent might be difficult to purchase in Aus to take back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Neo » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi it's about 14 days standard delivery of a TT to Australia in my one experience.
Check out the Hogback, it looks great.

Have you considered the classic square top pyramid design? Various price ranges, can stand up, many have easy-up frames.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 9:48 am

I thought most people in South Afrika used car-top tents because of the lions
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Strider » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 9:53 am

Neo wrote:Hi it's about 14 days standard delivery of a TT to Australia in my one experience.
Check out the Hogback, it looks great.

Have you considered the classic square top pyramid design? Various price ranges, can stand up, many have easy-up frames.
I'm intrigued. What does a square topped pyramid look like?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Avatar » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 10:02 am

Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 10:32 am

I meant this sort of tent, I don't know the name of that style!
Attachments
Oxley5Lite_Web1.jpg
Oxley5Lite_Web1.jpg (103.68 KiB) Viewed 11252 times
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 10:35 am

Neo wrote:I meant this sort of tent, I don't know the name of that style!
Ah got you now! Tourer tent is the style. Canvas would be good at keeping dust out!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby weeds » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 12:27 pm

I was thinking it was one of these....we have one although rarely used

weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby emma_melbourne » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 12:56 pm

Flash 3 easily pitched by 1 person. Mine is the regular Flash 3 (not the FL Feather Light version). Weighs 3 kg. Packs up pretty small, easy to go in suitcase or even backpack. (I transported in an Osprey Sojourn 80 convertible wheeler backpack which I love for travel).

The sides of it can roll up for more ventilation. It's a good airy tent. Only thing I don't know is will the sand where you're going be so fine that it can blow through mesh?
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 1:36 pm

I think Campmor is a South Afrikan company

While too heavy to carry walking it would be a good choice it there are no man-eaters around
https://www.kangarootentcity.com.au/pro ... s-tents/98
Otherwise an Oz=Tent would be my preferred choice
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby emma_melbourne » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 2:09 pm

One factor also is - are you trying to fly this over with you? (Presumably yes)

I ask as there is of course luggage restrictions on weight, and on size of what you can take on airlines. Unless you pay excess luggage / weight.

FLASH 3 - careful which you order, FL or regular.

Here's a photo of the Flash 3 taken yesterday at Yarra Valley camping ground. It's about 3 minutes to pitch and peg by 1 person (me). Note that it's only the Flash 3 and Flash 2 regular models which have the sides that roll up, with 4 poles - 2 poles going into arch pole sleeves.

The FL (Feather Light) versions - the Flash 3 FL and Flash 2 FL are different fabric denier specifications to save weight, and you cannot roll up the sides, and the poles are four sections hubbed together.

I've only got good things to say about the Flash 3. It's a very liveable, breathable, spacious tent. Gear lockers at side. But if you're only 1 or 2 people using this 3 person size tent - you have plenty of room for your gear inside the tent anyway, and you'd only store perhaps the shoes outside the tent.

The windows can be completely or partially closed up in bad weather. (Where I think the earlier models of around 2012 didn't have that feature.)

As the heaviest option - the Flash 3 regular is only 3 kg, it's really good for travelling and pitching quickly and easily. Which is exactly why I got it. To fly to different places in Australia with plane luggage and explore different places and do day hikes from etc. Light enough to hike in to pitch camp also.

As mentioned, my concern would be dust coming in at the sides with the mesh. You could limit this by pitching it with the fly sides as low to the ground as possible, but still...

OTHER OPTIONS

Various options of traveller style tents which are canvas with windows are also a good option I imagine, but for concern about weight and packability for flying, and transporting etc.

Spanner option

Could you just rent a tent there? Would save you the fuss and bother of flying one over, and it might be best suited for the conditions. Or as suggested, hire vehicle with tent top so you're up off the ground away from animals etc.

Best,

Emma
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 2.59.18 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 2.59.18 pm.png (714.44 KiB) Viewed 11212 times
Last edited by emma_melbourne on Thu 11 Jan, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 2:54 pm

If weight and or space was not a problem , I would be looking at a tent like the one in Weeds photo (canvas , "quick pitch" style)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 2:58 pm

Franco wrote:If weight and or space was not a problem , I would be looking at a tent like the one in Weeds photo (canvas , "quick pitch" style)

And I think that style of tent is readily available over there too
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby emma_melbourne » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 3:17 pm

Yes exactly. (To above Franco & Moondog55 comments).

I'd be thinking potentially to hire or buy tent over there. Of the canvas traveller style tent.

I note also that the country you're in tends to have the type of tents that best work for the climate. In the UK, they're all about tunnel tents and closing up for the bad / cold / wet weather they get over there. In Australia, we tend to need lots of ventilation in our tents and UV protection from the harsh sun, so our tent designs reflect that need as well as the cultural tradition of swags. In New Zealand, they get all kinds of conditions and crazy storms as well as hot weather, so they tend towards strong geodesic pole structure with some windows so it can be opened up in warm weather and closed off in stormy weather, etc.

So for South Africa, I think a camping store in South Africa is going to have good tents for their climate. And possible options to rent, as well as to buy.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jenand » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 4:53 pm

Thanks so much for all your suggestions and ideas. I've had a good look through them all, and have further narrowed things down.

I'm still in 2 minds about Flash 3 (normal) or a canvas bow tent. Might ultimately end up with both and use for different trips/parts of trips :)

Very pleased to hear from Flash3 owners that it's not the monumental pain to set up that some reviews infer. Thank you so much for that reassuring info. That setup looks great for my needs. My only lingering doubt is how it will handle strong wind. My old MH Hammerhead was brilliant in wind. But, if well staked out and with good supporting guy lines - I'm hoping the Flash 3 should be fine. Fine dust will always be an issue. But I'm used to it and always carry and brush and dustpan?!

Canvas - Would be a great long term option, but 15kg for the smallest one is a lot to lug around (even with a car). And I'm concerned that they'll be a pain to set up/tear down v quickly on my own (esp in 45C+ temps). I'm often in the 1 place for only 1 day, and really can't deal with an arduous setup every day and tear down the next morning before sunrise. I'm used to doing it in 5mins. Plus my teeny apartment does't really have any storage space.

Backpacking tent - that's just what I've always used. And each has survived several hundred nights camping (I do about 100/per year). Yeah, if I go Flash, I will be taking it back with me. I'm a light packer and have an OK luggage allowance.

If canvas - then I'll get there. Campmor and Tentco are made there and are reasonably priced (and hold value well over there for resale). Can't be one with an awning though. I've had to run around camp fixing other people's tents too many times after storms!

Good suggestion re renting one. Maybe I should try a canvas rental for a few days just to see how long they take to set up. But I camp 3+ months/year - so it's not a long term option.

Again - thanks again for all the suggestions. I really appreciate all the input.
jenand
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Franco » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 7:18 pm

"Very pleased to hear from Flash3 owners that it's not the monumental pain to set up that some reviews infer".
When you find a review that states how difficult a particular tent is to set up, I STRONGLY suggest to keep looking till you find someone that can do it no trouble at all.
At that point , copy how that one does it.
Some tents are indeed more difficult than others but in general the problem is with the individual not the tent design.
(I have borrowed several "difficult" tents over the years and that is how I formed the above opinion...)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby emma_melbourne » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 9:47 pm

@franco Yes I completely agree with you regard tent-pitching.

To be fair, the first time pitching the tent is typically the most intimidating. Once you've got the hang of it, much easier thereafter.

@jenand

Regards your concern about wind and the Flash 3 - there's actually a wind tunnel test here on the Sierra Designs Flash 3 FL which is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MQMG83I2c0
(At 35 seconds is the Flash 3 UL - it stood up to 55 mile winds. The Flash 3 UL is an earlier version of what Sierra Designs has tweaked slightly and named Flash 3 FL.) UL meant Ultra Light. FL means Feather Light. I believe the rename was because they managed to shave more weight off for the new model, and advertise that fact through name change.

The Flash 3 regular tent had slightly different pole configuration than the FL model, as mentioned in my earlier comments, as the arch poles go through the pole sleeve on the regular model to enable the roll up sides, whereas on the FL version tested in the video - the poles are hubbed together and clip on the exterior. But I would think the wind performance is relatively similar.

And to give context, I pitch this as a 38 year old regular woman by myself, with a toddler to look after at the same time. For the Flash 3 regular, I recommend you do the 2 arch poles through the 2 sleeves first, angling the pole downwards on a diagonal into the sleeve (a bit like in the Tarptent videos with pole sleeves such as the Double Rainbow). Once the arch poles are in, you then just clip the centre spine pole which has a ball and socket set up at either end. Lastly there's a very small curved pole shaped like an eyebrow which just gives the interior a bit of extra lift. It takes me 3 minutes.

It's free-standing but for 2 pegs to hold out each of the gear locker wings. So in the photo below, I have 2 pegs on each wing, and then a peg at each corner. So 8 pegs total.

There are extra guys (and pegs) optional for heavy winds. You can see those dangling at the front near the blue mini moon chair (for my toddler daughter) in the photo.

We had a bit of wind and rain - barely knew about it. Tent didn't move at all, and totally dry. (Although to be fair, we've not been in seriously stormy conditions as yet.)

My concern of you getting this tent is just the sand getting in under those wings on left and right side (the "gear lockers"), and whether any would make it through the mesh. As there's a zip up for the front and back window / entrance doors, but on the wings / gear lockers on the left and right side - it's just straight all mesh under the fly wings. So if the sand got under the wing fly, my concern is - can it get through the mesh? That's what I don't know.

What is good about the Flash 3 for you is that it's absolutely wonderful for travelling on planes and in vehicles and short hike-ins. The Flash 3 regular is made of the more durable fabrics with slight weight penalty.

It's toddler tested which means picture a nearly 2 year old banging on the walls and pulling at the zips, jumping around and against the tent interior and exterior. Holds up perfect.

So far, it's been a great tent and I'm very happy with it.

Getting to see the tent interior and how it works:
There's a review here which gives you a better look at the tent also which is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ1ydB-qOc4
and there's another of an earlier version here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Yg5E-REKA&t=432s

There's also a review of the Flash 2 FL version here by a motorcycle tent reviewer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNFB4MZkZg4&t=377s

Those videos will give you a better idea of the set-up of those gear lockers at the side that have the fly pulled out as wings, and the mesh underneath. So you understand that's the part that my concern is with the wind and sand.

I'm planning on getting a lighter tent for hiking - like the Tarptent Double Rainbow, Cloudburst 3, or ZPacks Duplex, or possibly the Flash 2 UL for hiking with, for a bit of weight and pack size savings. But for car camping, or even short hike-ins, it's great. As mentioned you get really nice ventilation and views, but you can zip up the windows for privacy or to shut out rain if it were really driving in horizontally in a storm.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jenand » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 6:40 am

@franco - yeah, thanks. I totally agree! Once you get used to any tent, they should be reasonably quick to set up.

@ Emma - thank you very much for your comments. 3 mins! That's my kinda tent. Takes me longer to blow up my mattress than that.
Yeah, those videos were handy. I think the trick with the winds is to have it staked really well and oriented correctly (not always possible...) But I think I'm going to bit the bullet and go for it. I'll figure out some hack for the possible dust problem.

Thanks everyone for your generous advice and time
jenand
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 7:48 am

Have you looked at the Goondie/Wurley series from One planet seriously?
The Goondie 3 or the Wurley 3 mesh in the Blue series is a pretty good and robust tent
https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/te ... ey-3-mesh/
and not all that expensive
I'm actually headed to the OP factory today to pick up my rejuvenated sleeping bag and I was going to have a really good look at some of their tents for my proposed Arctic trip in 2020
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby weeds » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 8:04 am

Moondog55 wrote:Have you looked at the Goondie/Wurley series from One planet seriously?
The Goondie 3 or the Wurley 3 mesh in the Blue series is a pretty good and robust tent
https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/te ... ey-3-mesh/
and not all that expensive
I'm actually headed to the OP factory today to pick up my rejuvenated sleeping bag and I was going to have a really good look at some of their tents for my proposed Arctic trip in 2020

We have a Goondie 3 with mesh inner......piece of cake to erect, well for us newbies to hiking, free standing, plenty of room for two.

weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jenand » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 5:07 pm

@weeds and @Moondog55 - many thanks. The Goondie looks like a v nice tent. I had a look at one that was set up at Treka nd Trail yesterday.

There's just too much nylon at ground level even on the mesh version. I really need more ventilation down at that level. If I wasn't camping in such hot places, then I reckon it would be really good. Just not for me and my current needs.

Have ordered a Flash 3 from the US (on sale), and will look at some canvas ones in SA. They're 'only' about $250 so can probably get both and use for different trips/parts of trips. A girl totally needs 4 tents :)
jenand
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby emma_melbourne » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 10:14 pm

jenand wrote:A girl totally needs 4 tents :)

This.

And welcome to the Flash 3 club. Hope you love yours as much as I love mine.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 4:31 pm

A few tarps, clamps, elastic straps and string can customise a car camping setup. This is stage two today, for afternoon shade :)
Attachments
IMAG5682.jpg
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment