Petzl Spatha knife sharpening

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Petzl Spatha knife sharpening

Postby Neo » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi
Lost my pocket knife for a couple of weeks last year so now also have a Petzl Spatha.

The blade is half usual at the tip, half one-sided serrated at the base.

Looking for any tips on how to sharpen one of these, much trickier than a plain blade.

I use a small stone and also have a pocket old-school diamond rod about 6-7mm diameter.
Cheers
Attachments
15164178080421490649903.jpg
Regular & Spatha
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Petzl Spatha knife sharpening

Postby keithy » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 1:46 pm

For the part serrated blades of my small pocket knives, I use a tapered diamond rod.

Mine is the Smith's retractable diamond sharpener rod. Got it a while back, but have only used it rarely on the serrated blades. You sharpen each serration individually so it takes a bit more time.

This is what mine looks like:

https://youtu.be/Blm_UZ-Cuqw
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby Neo » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 1:53 pm

Cheers, this is mine, the one dad has always had.
EZE-LAP from Westminster
Attachments
IMAG5593.jpg
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 7:47 pm

The main thing, don't sharpen the back side of the serrations. If you sharpen enough to form a burr, then just do enough to remove it, you want those to be as close to a chisel or one-sided grind as possible.

There are a few other serration sharpeners around, I have a lansky dogbone, it works well but is slow. There is also the spyderco sharpmaker, which is a great system, as well as the spyderco golden stone.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment