Aarn Design Photo Pockets

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Aarn Design Photo Pockets

Postby Franco » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 8:30 am

After having enjoyed two walks with the larger expedition pockets ( I have been using the Sport version so far) , I had the brilliant idea of suggesting dedicated photo pockets of a similar size.
So I shot off an E Mail to Aarn about that. Turns out that I am one of a long line of people to come up with the idea...
The photo pockets will be ready next March.

From Aarn :

PHOTO BALANCE POCKETS- for SLR cameras and lenses
These have been specially developed due to requests from professional photographers. Designed with Rebecca Brown-Thomson. Waterproof liners attach by Velcro so you can remove the camera or lenses inside their liners in wet conditions.

* Fit on all models except Marathon & Mountain Magics
* Divided for camera body and 3 additional lenses.
* Separate waterproof Dri-liners for camera and each lens
* Separate zip entry for top and bottom compartments
* Foam stiffened for stability.
* 4 mesh exterior pockets, 1 map pocket
* Converts to a daypack with add-on shoulder straps
* One torso length fits all
* 500D cordura, 210D ripstop nylon
* Grey/black

Volume 14L + 2L / pair
Weight 470gm / pair?

Having sold camera gear for 30 years, to me these represent a great leap forward in convenience when used with a full backpack. The typical solution so far has been to either store the gear inside the backpack,( slow and extra weight at the back) or using a bum bag at the front ( limited space and uncomfortable) or the more common TopLoad type bag hanging from the straps of the backpack (again limiting the gear to one camera and maybe two lenses, still pulling on the strap).
The Aarn pockets put the weight on the hips, allow full view of your feet and are really easy to access whilst in movement.
Should be a great reason for some to switch to the Aarn Design packs.
Franco

NOT THIS

BUT THIS
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Aarn Design Photo Pockets

Postby photohiker » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 9:09 am

Nice.

I've been working on converting the Dri pockets to take my camera gear, but haven't had them out testing yet. When I bought my Aarn pack I had an email conversation with Aarn about photo pockets, but that was a while ago now. Good to hear that something is finally on the way, as this is a natural for the Aarn design, and will make it probably the best photo backpack on the market, especially considering that the pockets fit a variety of sized packs from the range - ultimate flexibility. Very few photo backpacks have much by way of room for non-photo gear, so as soon as you need to accommodate cameras and backpack gear you land up with difficulties.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 11:40 am

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Sat 13 Nov, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Mon 28 Sep, 2009 9:17 pm

Brilliant.

Now I just need to find an excuse to get another pack . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby tasadam » Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:26 pm

scavenger wrote:Brilliant.

Now I just need to find an excuse to get another pack . . .

Excuse found - buy more camera gear!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby north-north-west » Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:40 pm

But if I buy more photo gear I won't be able to afford the pack. Though I really would like a ring flash for macro work . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby photohiker » Thu 22 Oct, 2009 2:46 pm

Just an update regarding my Dri Pocket mod for photo gear.

Recap: I went to a wetsuit manufacturer and had them make a 5mm neoprene pocket (a bit like an oversize stubby holder) to fit inside the Dri Pocket. It goes between the outer of the pocket and the dri liner.

I recently got to test this system on a weeks trip to the NW Tassie coast.

The system worked fine. I had one dri pocket carrying all the normal gear (snacks, water, gps, etc) and the other carrying my camera (Canon 5D) It was a snug fit and putting it away and pulling it out required minor gymnastics but worth it for the convenience of being able to have easy access to the camera at any time. We had a couple of days with a lot of rain and the camera gear remained dry throughout.

The new pocket/hipbelt mounting system caused me some initial bother. With this pack, I have been in the routine of leaving the pockets attached - pick up the pack, clip and tighten the hipbelt and front pocket straps and I'm away. The new mounting system brings the pocket lower mounts much closer to the middle (near the hipbelt clip) and for some reason I was unable to initially tension the hipbelt adequately with them on. In the end, I changed the procedure so that I put the pack on without the front pockets, tightened it, then mounted the pockets. This sounds worse than it is as the new pocket attachment system is very much simpler and less fiddly than the original. I suspect the initial adjustment problems with the pockets in place is due to the weight of the pockets distorting and binding the adjustment system.

Can't wait for the new photo pockets...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment