Elbow crutch alloy

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Elbow crutch alloy

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 1:11 pm

Anybody here happen to know what alloy is used in these adjustable crutches?
I should have some time over the next 5 weeks to do so real sewing and I am thinking about strong tarp poles
25mm OD stuff with ~1mm wall thickness
While similar in look to the centre poles that came with my Megamids I'm not sure what alloy those are either or for that matter my Bulldog pole sets.

Because the deflection is greatest in the centre of a rod or tube I'd use these in the middle of the pole set rather than aim for minimum packing bulk
Using with the Easton .742 poles because experience tells me anything less simply isn't strong enough in the Alps

http://tentpoletechnologies.com/?p=614
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Elbow crutch alloy

Postby rcaffin » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 1:50 pm

Those crutches are not straight poles, are they? They have been bent, crimped, reshaped and pushed around. It is very likely that they are close to 'commercial purity' - ie not alloyed at all. A low-grade 1000-series material. The crutches rely on diameter, not material strength.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 2:17 pm

Well they are stronger than the same size in standard alloy. By how much I don't know
If I want really strong I'll make new ones in CF, that is a way down the track
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 2:52 pm

There is a small but definite size increase in the diametre and wall thickness of the second set of crutches I have here that have a much greater SWL so I guess you are correct Roger; double checking the pole sections I was referring to their wall thickness was 0.7mm
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rcaffin » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 8:48 pm

WT=0.7 mm? Wow!
The crutches I got at Cooma Hospital a few years ago had a much thicker WT, but I think they only cost us $20-$30 at the time.
Very good doctor in ER there too.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 11:32 am

Yeah checked to make sure but my eyes are such there there could be an error of a millimetre or two and I can't find my verniers
Since I had Lasix my short vision is bad even with reading glasses
Not really important as these poles are to go with the PaddyMade I am selling, I just wanted to have a pole strong enough to hold some tension on the guys without collapsing The Easton query was for a pair serious poles for a different project, those elbow crutches have a much thicker wall
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment