Budget Walking poles recommendation

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Budget Walking poles recommendation

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 7:53 am

Walking poles recommendation because the next things to go will be my knees and budget because I won't have much money naturally
Being naturally cautious reliability and strength is far more important to me than weight but if there is a happy medium in my price range [ as yet undetermined] that would be most excellent.
Something a bit more compact for traveling than my old ski poles at $5- a pair and 2 piece rather than 3 piece and if they were pin lock that would be even better because then they are medical equipment
Hacking an old pair of crutches will be heavier than I want to carry but I had considered it
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Budget Walking poles recommendation

Postby Neo » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi MD do you know your preferred pole length?
I think its worth getting something like Helinox. You will get plenty of use out of them. Also mid priced and cheaper/easier than new knees ;(
I'd trust mine highly. Their shortest is the folding type, mine are the LLB135.

Edit that should be LBB135 = lock, button, button, max 135cm
You lock the lever at the length required then extend until the two buttons lock.
Last edited by Neo on Sat 27 Jan, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 1:53 pm

Dunno really Somewhere between 124 and 140cm?
Bogong has some that seem reasonable at first glance
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 1:58 pm

$195 for my pair. Walk like a preying mantis!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 2:13 pm

Don't get any cheaper thank this MD http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-New-Hikin ... SwmfhX4N5r
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 8:34 am

I can vouch for the Enkeeo Carbon Fiber pole with a base weight of 200g each. The locks are not the prettiest but when adjusted properly, they don't slip. You can get on ebay for under $50
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wallwombat » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 9:50 am

I use a pair of Cascade Mountain Tech carbon fiber poles, that I bought from Amazon. That hard nut Andrew Skurka bloke recommended them on his website. They were about $50. They have worked fine and I've had no problems whatsoever. They also come with cork handles for a few more $$.

I just had a look at Amazon and they now have Cascade Mountain Tech 3 piece folding trekking poles now too.
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 11:22 am

Not aware of any pin locking hiking poles apart from those 'walking sticks' typically stocked in chemists. These are typically more bulky and heavier than dedicated hiking poles. However, may be good enough for your requirements. One example on eBay being below,
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Walking-Sti ... SwVVRaXvf6

PS. Weight reduction will relieve far more stresses than walking poles. Of course, every bit helps.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 11:56 am

That LED torch in the handle is probably much less of a gimmick than first glance would suggest
I'll make every effort to reduce weight when and if I buy any new gear but at the moment I am on an expenditure reduction regime rather than a weight reduction one so I may /most probably will get those in the first eBay link posted by Neil even if they are twist lock, if i decide that I don't want to trust twist locks then any of these others look OK
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 1:24 pm

I looked at poles a while ago on Massdrop and someone in the comments there mentioned Monoprice poles [from the US].
They were $84.45 back in 2016.
Lightweight and basic external locking mechanism [not twist lock which I have trouble with in the past].
A curious company as they are mostly into electronics.
I had a tip break off and wrote back to them - they sent out a complete replacement pole - no questions asked.
I would highly recommend.
If you get them - be aware that the external locking mechanism has a screw that adjusts how tight you can apply it, and if you let it get too slack and hold it upside down the through pin can drop out. But if you get into the habit of adjusting in the normal upright position this cannot happen. And once locked - the pin is not going anywhere.

Pure Outdoor Carbon Cork Trekking Poles are currently US$29.99 plus postage
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Return to Equipment