Finding merino undies for women or fabric to make them

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Finding merino undies for women or fabric to make them

Postby Tortoise » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 11:15 am

My old merino undies are nearing the end of their lives, and I haven't been able to find any I like. Believe it or not, Kathmandu made the ones I found the best, but they no longer make them. I'm after ones like these, which have narrow elastic at the top (not like the very wide elastic the current Macpac ones have):
DSC04144.jpg

Another feature I want is to have a cut that means the elastic on the leg at the back stays put where it belongs, instead of working its way across the butt cheeks, for some silly fashion or other - which I find uncomfortable.
Having been looking for a year or so, I think the best option may be to get a friend to make them, if I can find some fabric that has a high percentage of merino blended with a stretch fabric. Any thoughts? Ta.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Finding merino undies for women or fabric to make them

Postby matagi » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 7:00 pm

Try Hedrena, they do 3 styles of brief. My preferred one is the hicut (I have 20 pairs)

https://merinoandco.com.au/womenswear/underwear
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Eremophila » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 8:42 pm

Maybe worth trying Allgoods?

The only ones showing on their website are bamboo, but I seem to remember their Devonport store had a much larger range than what's shown online.

Always hard to find undies that "stay put". And sometimes (often) you just can't tell until you wear them.
Eremophila

Region: Victoria

Postby andrewa » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 9:46 pm

Do girls go "commando" in the bush?

Solves all undie issues. Standard merino longjons or other thermal bottoms provide the insulation in the cold. I see no benefit in undies when in the bush, as, at the end of the trip, I expect to be socially unacceptable!

Whilst I have 4 daughters, I've never asked!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby weeds » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 5:18 am

andrewa wrote:Do girls go "commando" in the bush?

My wife (and I) go commando everyday and suspect she would be in the minority, she does carry a pair or two in the pack for the monthly cycle or for when others are around when going for a swim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Cecile » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 6:08 am

I sew. I make my own undies. I know of several pdf patterns for underwear that others rave about (I made my own pattern from a pair that I like and fit me well - I don't fit into "normal" size range, being larger than average.) I also think I know of an Australian fabric seller who has merino knit fabric but no idea whether it's underwear weight, or heavier. Happy to share what I know. PM me for more info, perhaps we could chat on the phone about it.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kitty » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 8:06 am

Icebreaker undies!
They look same as the ones in your picture, very fine merino and very comfy.
I dont personally like any other icebreaker products, but the undies are good.
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Tortoise » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 8:30 am

Thanks, everyone, for your input! Good to have a few avenues to explore.

Do girls go "commando" in the bush? Solves all undie issues. Standard merino longjons or other thermal bottoms provide the insulation in the cold. I see no benefit in undies when in the bush, as, at the end of the trip, I expect to be socially unacceptable!
Whilst I have 4 daughters, I've never asked!

Lol! Interesting thought, but reckon I'll stick to undies. Much easier to wash out (and dry in Tassie) a pair of undies now and then than a pair of walking pants. I rather like the fresh feel and lack of smell (for myself rather than others) of a clean pair now and then on a long walk. Merino certainly extends the time between washes, which is one of the reasons I like them. :)
Eremophila wrote:Always hard to find undies that "stay put". And sometimes (often) you just can't tell until you wear them.

That's very true! I'm thinking that at least if the cut allows the elastic to start where I want it, I figure there's a better chance than with some other styles.
weeds wrote:My wife (and I) go commando everyday and suspect she would be in the minority, she does carry a pair or two in the pack for the monthly cycle or for when others are around when going for a swim.
Yes, very handy on multi-day walks for that reason too. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment