Freestanding, lightweight, twin wall, spacious 2p hike tent

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Freestanding, lightweight, twin wall, spacious 2p hike tent

Postby threshold » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 6:10 pm

Hey guys,

I am chasing something that'd be comfortable for two people, not claustraphobic to wait out a storm, but still super light and must be freestanding as I want to do a couple of trails where you need to pitch on those timber platform thingys. Ie overland tas and kangaroo island trail. I also want it to be a twin walled tent. I don't like the condensation in my SMD lunar solo when it is wet/camping near a water source.

I am looking into the big agnes copper spur ul 2p hv and the nemo dagger 2p. Would prefer under 1.5kg trail weight.

I think the copper spur ul2 looks like a winner at the moment, especially with that mtnglo light would be cool for reading/cards and becuause its cheaper than the nemo..

If anyone has any other suggestions/has used or seen either of these tents let me know.

Cheers

Glen
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Freestanding, lightweight, twin wall, spacious 2p hike t

Postby Lamont » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 6:36 pm

Big Sky revolution 2 person 1.5kg perhaps? Backpackinglight Melbourne.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Orion » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 7:35 pm

The BA tents have become very popular in the California Sierra. They're light and set up fast and appear solid in moderately bad WX. I wish I'd bought one instead of the tent I recently purchased.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby warnabrother » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 7:23 am

We had a Copper Spur UL2 HV MTN Glo.. it is a good tent and reasonably spacious, however it is smaller than the measurements on their website.. slightly narrower and shorter..
The floor material is very thin and care needs to be taken where you pitch it WITH a footprint - I made a Tyvek one..

We sold the BA and bought a MSR Hubba Hubba.. I/m happier with the MSR.. floor is much thicker, it's slightly larger inside and has more livable space due to it being symmetric - the BA is not symmetric - there is a head side and a foot side.. and it only weighs ever so slightly more.. I really struggled spending the money on a heavier tent, but sometimes where we pitch our tent is less than an ideal spot..

The Mtn Glo was a really nice feature that I really didn't think I would use, but it really is a very handy thing - especially for night time toilet duties as the low light setting is just enough but not too bright..
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby threshold » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 11:25 am

Thanks warnabrother, I might head down to my local snowys and check out the hubba hubba.
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby warnabrother » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 12:11 pm

One last thing I forgot to mention about the Copper Spur is the zipper on the inner really annoyed me as they use two different pullers to open the door.. one down the side and one along the bottom.. was a bit of a pain for me..
A great tent nontheless.. but the Hubba Hubba is definitely a better tent except for the weight penalty which I'm happy to deal with
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby threshold » Thu 08 Feb, 2018 7:07 pm

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Got a hole burning in my pocket that can only be sorted with a new tent..
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 8:31 am

I have a tatptent double moment for sale....
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 9:09 am

I don't like the condensation in my SMD lunar solo when it is wet/camping near a water source.

You will still get condensation under the fly of a double wall tent but the inner, if solid, should prevent you from getting dripped on.
Best really not to camp near a water source because that also tends to be the lowest and therefore coldest spot.
Anyway, putting my work hat on, you could look at the Tarptent Bowfin 2.
About 1.36 kg (with pegs) , sets up inner and fly together.
You can get a partial solid inner for it, good for side wind/rain deflection but the top is still mesh. However it has good airflow to minimise condensation.
https://www.tarptent.com/bowfin2.html
bowfin2_15.jpg
bowfin2_15.jpg (65.94 KiB) Viewed 6036 times

bowfin2_7.jpg
bowfin2_7.jpg (146.71 KiB) Viewed 6036 times
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby weeds » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 10:08 am

We are happy with our Goondie 2 however it’s a little heavier at 1.8.

We have done 9 nights, it snowed one night....was comfortable enough for the two of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment