Watch for that magnet on you! Compass risk

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Watch for that magnet on you! Compass risk

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 7:59 am

Article highlighting an increasing use of magnets on clothing and personal gears that may affect our navigation compass.

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2018/ ... ur-compass
Last edited by GPSGuided on Fri 16 Feb, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Watch for that magnets on you! Compass risk

Postby Tortoise » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:38 am

Which brings me to the question I've been meaning to ask for ages. Is there any problem carrying the compass next to anything that affects it at all, when not actually in use? Like a phone (without the magnet on the case), cameras, GPSs etc. I've always thought - perhaps wrongly - that it could affect the polarity if it's there long enough. With a camera in one pocket, a phone or GPS in the other, magnetic bits and pieces in my bumbag, it's almost impossible to keep it clear, even when it's on a cord around my neck. Is this an imaginary problem?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 9:21 am

I think it’s all relative to the magnetic strength and the susceptibility of the compass needle. Some needles are real magnets while other cheap models induced magnetism. As such, those cheap ones could easily be erased of their magnetism and polarity. The big risk these days is the widespread use of strong rare earth magnets. Guess the rule is to avoid as much as possible but a phone/GPS won’t be a problem.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby FootTrack » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 11:47 am

I'm now very conscientious about where I put my compass having had it depolarise in the past. It was a Silva Ranger so not a cheap one. I'm still not sure whether it was something in my pack or a magnetic rock that I might have placed my compass on...Thankfully we had other compasses in our group that we could use. When I got home, I managed to repolarise the needle myself with a strong magnet and haven't had any issues with it since. By slowly moving your compass towards metal items, you can gauge the point at which the needle becomes affected and starts to flutter. You can then maintain this distance when the compass is packed away by wrapping it in something non-magnetic (mine lives in the top pocket of my hardshell).
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment