Buying from Aliexpress and warranties

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Postby lily2217 » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:17 pm

Hey all! Has anybody purchased your lightweight tents from aliexpress before? I note that shipping via dhl is 8-16 days what was your average time?

I'm also worried about defects and problems, did any of you had to deal with stuff like this? i dont seem to see any warranty stuff on the product page.
lily2217
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Buying from Aliexpress and warranties

Postby emma_melbourne » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 4:47 pm

Personally I've found them surprisingly good.

I've bought:
- lightweight Naturehike camping chairs
- Naturehike Star River 2 tent
and a few other bits and pieces.

The quality of those items was very good. Stitching very tidy. Items exactly as advertised.

The postage time varies. I've had items arriver super-quick in less than advertised timeframe. And other items take 2 weeks, etc.

There is option to post feedback, and to lodge a complaint. I recommend where possible going with a seller with lots of positive 5 star reviews.

The only negative I can really think of was that some items had a bit of a "made in China" smell to them, which dissipated with being aired and more use.

Best,

Emma
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 5:22 pm

Remember it is business days, not days in total, so order well before you need anything. If you are tall, take care with dimensions as most, if not all their products are for the Asian market.
This Brit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hLI1PWG8K4 does the very best reviews of Alieexpress tents and stuff. Really excellent.
This Spanish bloke does great reviews on their tents. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BtVG5Wna9I but not as good as the Brit.
Check the Lanshan 1/2 tent reviews -they are interesting if you haven't seen them.
Warranty issues mmm not sure.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Strider » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 7:19 pm

I had a totally different tent delivered to what was ordered and the resolution went nowhere. Mostly because I refused to pay return shipping (which was equivalent to the cost of the tent) as it was an error on behalf of the seller. I ended up selling it locally and buying the tent I wanted from Ebay. I’ll no longer buy large/expensive items on AliExpress due to the lack of buyer protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 8:58 pm

I've bought a few things but mostly relatively inexpensive items and generally no issues. At one point last year I ordered what was clearly described as a pack of 6 titanium tent pegs for AUD $2-60 (incredibly cheap). However only a single peg arrived so I raised a dispute and sent the evidence, mainly on principle. As the amount was so trivial I thought I might get an apology and would have been satisfied with that. But eventually received a $2-20 refund :shock:. I thought it showed great integrity on their part so happy to give the seller another try if they have something I need.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 9:14 pm

Keep in mind aliexpress is like ebay, lots of different sellers and therefore lots of different warranty possibilities. Some will take very good care of you and some will ignore you. I always figure I've already saved so much money on gear that by the time something does go wrong I'm still way ahead !

Check the ratings and feedback for each seller and each item as they're often very informative, people often leave detailed reviews pointing out pros and cons.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby lily2217 » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 10:52 pm

Thank you for the advice everyone!
lily2217
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment