Carrying a PLB on low cost carriers in Europe

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Carrying a PLB on low cost carriers in Europe

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 5:29 pm

Wondering if anyone has had experience carrying a PLB when flying low cost carriers in Europe?

Did you have any hassles carrying it onboard the aircraft? (from the documentation Ive read they are supposed to be taken in carry on luggage)

Im over there for work soon and will be taking a number of flights. However I also want to take my PLB with me so I can go hiking on the weekend.

The big international carriers/major terminals should be fine but I dont want have it confisicated due to the lithum battery by a security contractor working for a low cost carrier/terminal who doesnt know or care about what is or isnt allowed.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Carrying a PLB on low cost carriers in Europe

Postby alanoutgear » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 10:18 pm

Here's my experience. No one ever commented on my PLB getting to or from Europe and on our flights while we were there. Installed batteries are generally fine and can be in carry on or checked luggage. Spare batteries are generally required to be in carry on luggage and on one flight we had to ensure the spare batteries could not touch each other or any metal.
alanoutgear
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ribuck » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 4:24 am

I have never had any problem with my PLB on budget airlines in Europe. I don't know of any airline that forbids carrying them. If you are questioned by a security contractor just ask them to double-check on their written list.

The general rule is: devices with small batteries installed internally are OK in cabin or checked baggage, provided the device cannot accidentally be activated (a piece of tape over the switch would achieve this, but obviously a PLB is already protected against accidental activation). On the other hand, small spare batteries (loose, or in a "device whose primary purpose is to supply power") must be carried in cabin baggage and must be protected from accidental activation or accidental contact with the terminals (e.g. a piece of tape over the switch and over the USB socket). I forget what the upper size limit is, but a 10000mAH battery is OK.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:25 am

If you were really worried you could take a description in the local language with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 6:20 pm

Cheers thanks for all that info.

Did most of you carry the PLB in your checked luggage or carry on?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby drewmac » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:20 pm

Hi,

In carry on.

No problems...flew....Easy Jet...German Wings....Aer Lingus...Ryan Air in last 2.5 years with PLB.

They were more concerned with a tin of Vegetarian Haggis.....
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby roysta » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 3:32 pm

Don't most PLBs use lithium batteries?
If so, then they must be carried in carry-on luggage.
I've always done that and had no problems.
roysta

Postby ribuck » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 7:07 am

roysta wrote:Don't most PLBs use lithium batteries?
If so, then they must be carried in carry-on luggage.

Here's a Qantas page, which states that PLBs containing less than 2g of lithium can be carried in cabin or checked baggage without pre-approval. PLBs containing 2 to 8 grams of lithium can only be taken as cabin baggage and must be pre-approved. Presumably bushwalking PLBs, being lightweight, have the smaller batteries:
https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/ ... or-beacons

OK, I realise that Qantas doesn't count as a low-cost carrier, but hey...
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Warin » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 7:43 am

I try to put in my carry on baggage stuff that I would find difficult and/or expensive to replace quickly at my destination. This also must be within the weight and size restrictions for carry on baggage. Anything left then goes into the checked baggage. My thinking is that if my check bag is lots I will need to replace it .. and quickly so I can get on with my trip.

Exceptions? Things that are not permitted in carry on baggage.

The PLB falls into the carry on category for me. As does my camera, phone.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment