Adding water "resistance" to quilts and sleeping bags

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Adding water "resistance" to quilts and sleeping bags

Postby andrewa » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 8:40 pm

Having just returned from 10 days in Fiordland, NZ, fly fishing, one of my major gear issues was my quilt ( home made) getting damp from condensation from the tent. The tent issue is unavoidable, but I was hoping to find a DWR solution to my quilts, as both the quilt I used, and my winter ski touring quilt seem to have rather hydrophilic nylon!

Has anyone any experience with Nikwax/Grangers/Scotchguard ect as a means of reducing the degree that condensation soaks in to the outer fabric of quilt/sleeping bag?

It does seem to be an external issue, as outer surface of quilt was dry until I had to fluff around and get out of tent for a pee, during which the quilt touched the damp inner of the tent and got v damp.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Re: Adding water "resistance" to quilts and sleeping bags

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 6:47 am

I've found Nikwax to work, I've not tried the spray-on product on a sleeping bag tho but I see no reason it shouldn't add water resistance to the outer.
The added weight is going to be much less that adding a highly water resistant cover
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Adding water "resistance" to quilts and sleeping bags

Postby warnabrother » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 8:11 am

I usually use my rain skirt over the footbox of my quilt in high condensation scenarios.. same could be done with a rain jacket I suppose..
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment