Gear for well build people

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Gear for well build people

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 8:59 am

Well my Macpac top just arrived and I am very disappointed.

https://www.macpac.com.au/nz-alpine-tea ... -mens.html

I would like to like this pullover, it has some very nice features and it really is UL but I can't get it on. I don't know who Macpac are using as their pattern maker and model but this is sized as an XXL and it simply isn't big enough to fit over a layer of winter underwear. Skin tight over a Uniqlo summer T-shirt
I really wanted this to fit.
It is tiny Arms are long enough but it is so tight across the shoulders I cannot eve shrug let alone swing an ice axe or ski wearing it
Patagonia Australia simply won't import the UL stuff I want and who else makes gear for big and tall people?
I hate to return it but I will have to. If I could have tried it on in store I would have but the Melbourne city store had none in stock at all
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Gear for well build people

Postby Nuts » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 9:16 am

You want something filtered through, or with extra well-built, US sizings. Go to is REI's own, occasionally some Marmot Jackets go to 3/4XL.
PS. US ebay is a good source for USMC Patagonia (not sure if you'd noticed?).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby RonK » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 9:30 am

Interesting to note that MacPac size guide shows 2XL as fitting chest 114-118 and 3XL fitting 119-123.

Mountain Hardwear size guide shows XXL as fitting 127-135.

If you are big, buy from the US.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 10:04 am

RonK wrote:Interesting to note that MacPac size guide shows 2XL as fitting chest 114-118 and 3XL fitting 119-123.

Mountain Hardwear size guide shows XXL as fitting 127-135.

If you are big, buy from the US.

Well it did fit Ron, so long as i didn't move or try wearing any clothing under it :mrgreen:
It does measure 119 [ well actually it is 60cm pit to pit] this leave no room for clothing at all. possibly it is a mistake when cutting out as the sleeves are long enough and the hood does fit a helmet.
I do buy a lot from the USA and my US size is usually an XL or XL Tall Patagonia fits reasonably in XL for most stuff but their sizing does change all the time
I have more than enough gear and clothing; I was just trying to go lighter; UL if possible
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Eremophila » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 9:30 pm

As my partner says when shopping for walking gear, "Obviously fat b*st*rds don't go hiking" :evil:
Eremophila

Postby crollsurf » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 12:09 am

I've had some luck with The North Face in-store lately, it's not on the rack but they go out the back and hey presto. XL hat, XXL puffer is X bigger and size 12 shoes. Columbia and Mountain Designs as well but MD are gone now.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 6:27 am

I have so much trouble I guess because I prefer pullovers.
DIY is the answer I guess and the cottage producers for down gear
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment