Macpac Uber Light down jackets

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Macpac Uber Light down jackets

Postby Dexter » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 11:35 am

Noticed these are on clearance for $99.

Just after opinions on if these are decent value at $99, or am I better to look elsewhere. I don't have a down jacket, and have noticed they are recommended a fair bit for sleeping in when temps get low.

At 240g, it doesn't sound like a bad option.

https://www.macpac.com.au/clearance/men ... rance.html
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Macpac Uber Light down jackets

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 12:16 pm

I have looked at them in store
I thought that the Uniqlo offered better loft but that size and weight wise there was little to pick between the Macpac and the Uniqlo.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 12:24 pm

Interesting.

Uniqlo call theirs 'An incredibly light down parka', but don't give any indication of weight. Is it weird to go into a store with some scales? :lol:
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby potato » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 12:47 pm

They are fine - great for day walks and spring/autumn conditions. I start with low expectations for all my gear... so I don't really get caught out.

I've found that I carry mine most of the time as packs down to nothing. But I don't substitute it for a jacket with more down fill in winter.
potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 1:38 pm

never mind
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Strider » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 2:03 pm

potato wrote:They are fine - great for day walks and spring/autumn conditions. I start with low expectations for all my gear... so I don't really get caught out.

I've found that I carry mine most of the time as packs down to nothing. But I don't substitute it for a jacket with more down fill in winter.

This is where down vests fit perfectly. My Uniqlo one weighs approx 160g, packs down to the size of an orange and provides just enough warmth to ward off a chill. Great to layer under a heavier fleece or down jacket if really cold, or to carry alone in milder conditions for just in case.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 2:26 pm

Sweet. I've grabbed one. It came down to $89 because there's 10% off clearance... and then $10 got added back on again for shipping :D Hopefully the Large fits me, I'm usually either a L or XL depending on the sizing. I measured, and seems like the large will be ok.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby warnabrother » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 2:34 pm

I have a jacket and vest in the uberlight series and they are great.. definitely not an Alpine winter puffy, but fine (for me) everywhere else.. they work great with a warm baselayer and rainshell or windshell if it does get colder..
I compared mine to the Uniqlo ones and prefer the fit and finish of the Macpac one - not to mention the Macpac down is traceable, but yeah, a light 650 FP, warmish jacket.. and they are nice and long so your backside doesn't get a chill when sitting :)
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 2:38 pm

warnabrother wrote:I have a jacket and vest in the uberlight series and they are great.. definitely not an Alpine winter puffy, but fine (for me) everywhere else.. they work great with a warm baselayer and rainshell or windshell if it does get colder..
I compared mine to the Uniqlo ones and prefer the fit and finish of the Macpac one - not to mention the Macpac down is traceable, but yeah, a light 650 FP, warmish jacket.. and they are nice and long so your backside doesn't get a chill when sitting :)

Yeah I thought that it might work ok under my hard shell when cold. And hopefully good to sleep in. I don't see myself doing much alpine winter walking, and I generally don't get too cold either. Hopefully it will work for me.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aidan » Thu 12 Apr, 2018 1:52 pm

Dexter wrote:Sweet. I've grabbed one. It came down to $89 because there's 10% off clearance... and then $10 got added back on again for shipping :D Hopefully the Large fits me, I'm usually either a L or XL depending on the sizing. I measured, and seems like the large will be ok.

If you spend $100, I'm pretty sure the shipping is free (for future reference)
Enjoy the purchase. :D
Aidan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Dexter » Thu 12 Apr, 2018 2:12 pm

Yeah I noticed that, I think I remember at the time thinking that even if I got an additional thing cheap, it was still a bit of extra cash (even though a good deal), on something I didn't really need.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment