Snow anchors question

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Snow anchors question

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 1:26 pm

Normally I have made mine between 300 and 450mm deep. Yesterday I was at Direct aluminium looking for some tubing for HD tent poles and they had some offcuts of cool room coving so I bought them.
The short off-cut is the 70mm and just long enough to get a couple of anchors but the larger one is 110mm and 1340 long. I'm wondering if I should make 2 or use my normal length and get 3?
At the moment I am leaning towards making 2 longer ones just in case we get a lot of snow this white season but I can change my mind up until I make that first cut
I'm interested in peoples thoughts
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Snow anchors question

Postby warnabrother » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 2:51 pm

I've found that the deeper the snow, the easier it is to use shorter anchors as they can be buried into the snow, ad a little water around them and then have a nice block of ice securing them.. it is the shallower snow I struggle with as the ground underneath is often frozen and hard to get penetration.. YMMV though
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Snow anchors question

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 3:36 pm

Good point
I may get three out then. 1340/3 = close enough to 450mm that it doesn't matter in practical terms. I will have to go and get some more SS wire and such tho
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment