Pack advice for Western Arthurs

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Pack advice for Western Arthurs

Postby philm » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi

I was interested in people views on a pack for the Western Arthurs.

I have an AARN pack with balance pockets and was wondering whether this would be suitable? Many people have said the front pockets will get in the way but I have always been good with them? I think this advice has largely been from people who have not used AARN packs before.

I'd prefer to stay with what I know and hike with the AARN Load Limo but should I consider:

Other alternative pack options are:

1. Osprey Xenith 88 Litre - strong enough?
2. MacPac Torre 80L - strong pack canvas - 2.5kg?
3. One Planet McMillian - strong pack - heavy at 3kg?

Interested in people's thoughts.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Pack advice for Western Arthurs

Postby tasrider » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 1:59 pm

I did it in January with my Load Limo and compact balance pockets.

The compact pockets are the smallest they do, big enough for water and snack and a few odds and ends. They didn’t get in the way at all. I doubt any of my larger pockets would have either, but I didn’t really need anything larger.

I think I used it the last time I was up there too.

It’s a nice walk, you’ll enjoy it.
tasrider
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby norts » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 2:11 pm

Will the pockets push you away from rock faces when going down cliffs? Alotof the cliff scrambles you hug the rock. Also how well will the pockets stand up to being scraped along the the rock.
Will the pack stand up up to being dragged along rocks as it is lowered/raised on pack hauls? Alos because of the front pockets is it more likely to hang up as it is lowered /raised?
I havent had any experience with AARN but I have been through the WA's a few times. I would not like to have a bulky items pushing me further away from cliff faces. I have used a 2 different canvas packs and they have both had minor damage from scaping on rocks. I have used a WE 80L and Macpac 60L .
Not sure if that helps.
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasrider » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 2:32 pm

The pockets don’t push you away from the rock faces.

They stand up well to abuse.

I’ve rope hauled it numerous times, it’s fine.

My pack has been dragged, thrown, scraped and generally really treated poorly for many years. I still use it. Some straps are getting a bit slippery, but all packs end up like that.

I have a 75l Macpac pack too. Worst piece of crap I’ve ever used.

I also use a One Planet McMillan 85. For what I use it for it’s great.

Yeah, I have a bit of experience in difficult conditions and with heavier than usual loads.
tasrider
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 2:45 pm

I've taken a Load Limo with photo pockets through the WArthurs twice, and into plenty of other places on and off track. Be careful if you have to pack haul anywhere - the tube and cord arrangement in the harness can be vulnerable to damage - but otherwise you shouldn't have any issues.

Only place I had to unclip the pockets - actually it was just one pocket - was the descent to Oberon the first time, trying to swing around an awkward piece of rock. Couldn't even find that spot the second time through.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby beardless » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 2:57 pm

I used an Osprey Xenith 108 for the whole Arthur Range Traverse. It fit everything in (including dslr with two lenses). For me it was comfortable carrying a big load. However it was bulky and I almost got wedged in climbing up though the hole in the wall heading up Mt Pegasus. The material for one of the sidepockets also ripped, as the pack is not as durable as my other canvas pack, but it was lighter and weight is important on the Arthurs.
My considerations for pack were 1. Size to fit everything in 2. comfort 3. weight 4. durability, and probably in that order. (Durability is more important when walking off track). In hindsight and if I was doing it again a smaller pack would be preferable.
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby philm » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 3:20 pm

Sounds like the Load Limo will be fine. It’s my normal pack
And very comfortable

I have a Macpac 75l as well but not very good with larger loads

I was looking at the larger Osprey 105 but reviews said it was big and perhaps difficult in tight places hence was looking at the 88l

For comfort I find the AArn
Pack hard to
Beat
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment