? Hilleberg Nallo "1" GT equivalent.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

? Hilleberg Nallo "1" GT equivalent.

Postby andrewa » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 8:38 pm

i was thinking about my "ultimate" 1 person tent, and concluded that a smaller lighter version of the H'berg Nallo GT was it, except that it doesn't seem to exist!

I have both the Nallo GT 2 and 3 - the 3 is perfect for 2, and structurally adequate for ski touring. The GT2 is tight for 2, too big for 1, and only minimally lighter than the 3GT, so, as I'm now doing more solo trips (?? no friends!!) , I'm wanting to downsize, but looking for a tunnel with end entrance, and which tapers

I own a Terra Nova Photon Elite ( ultralight everything), and a TN Laser Competition ( slightly bigger than Photon Elite),both tunnel tents with main pole in middle, and side vestibule, and recently took the TN Laser Competition to NZ for a fly fishing trip - it's just too small for me , esp for ski touring, and the side entrance is way less user friendly than the extended vestibule in the Nallo GT.

So, has anyone one across a tent like the Nallo GT in a smaller 1 person version....or, do I need to think about MYO?

Whilst the H'berg tents are " bomb proof", they are , like many commercially available gear, over-designed....the inner tent could be made from 0.7 oz sleeping bag material, the zippers could be downsized, etc etc. The Terra Nova Photon Elite is at least made from ultralight material, but the design doesn't suit me.

Andrew A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Re: ? Hilleberg Nallo "1" GT equivalent.

Postby Orion » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 1:47 am

Are you aware of the Lightwave t10 Raid? It's not a GT though so you'd still end up with considerable MYO effort.

Hilleberg does use a 0.6 oz/yd2 inner material in their "yellow label" tents. But in the Nallo series it's 1.0 oz. I'll bet the difference is less than 100g. While you can get lighter fabrics the outer material on the Nallo is comparable in weight to off the shelf silnylon. The Nallo floor is pretty beefy though.

I figured out that it would save about 100g (in a Nallo 3) to downsize each zipper one step.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Zapruda » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 7:09 am

Hey Andrew, check this out - https://www.tomsoutdoors.com.au/collect ... 2622122566

1.6kg and absolutely brilliant in design. I had a tough time saying no to this when I saw it. They say it is only 3 season but it could definitely be pushed into the 4th.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby andrewa » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 8:32 am

Wow - that's a kg less than my Nallo GT. Is the inner nylon, or mesh?
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 8:45 am

Full nylon but very breathable
The GT design ticks a lot of my boxes too
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 10:21 am

andrewa wrote:Wow - that's a kg less than my Nallo GT. Is the inner nylon, or mesh?

Its nylon. Give Chris at Toms outdoors a call. He is incredibly helpful and really nice to talk to. I have no affiliation just a happy customer.

Also a setup vid of the tent - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4DCQOdVoEk
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 6:25 pm

Zapruda wrote:Hey Andrew, check this out - https://www.tomsoutdoors.com.au/collect ... 2622122566

1.6kg and absolutely brilliant in design. I had a tough time saying no to this when I saw it. They say it is only 3 season but it could definitely be pushed into the 4th.

I wish you hadn't done that. The design is briiliant - it fixes the main issues with the Nallo, such as the weirdly shaped rear that lacks a high vent. Plus that vestibule is to die for.
If only they did it in red.

Someone care too 'lend' me $800? Semi-permanently, interest-free . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 7:02 pm

Nope I'm first in the queue for crowd funding
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 7:07 pm

Attachments
tent.png
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 7:15 pm

Erk. Red and yellow. Horrible!

I suppose I ain't going to find a smaller tunnel, coz it would be too low....

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 7:21 pm

Yes, Easy to fins on snow
maybe the rejuvenated Macpac [ MaxMacpak] will introduced a stretched Minaret with an extended vestibule? I would consider it
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 7:40 pm

Thought processes moving on ......maybe I just make a lighter weight, smaller inner for my Nallo 2GT, and enjoy the huge undercover space ?

I reckon I could cut down the weight of the inner significantly with a cuben floor, and light nylon top. And, in the same process, I could make a cuben floor / mesh inner for NZ fly fishing trips just to keep the little *&%$#! of me (sandflies)

I did sleep in it last winter without an inner. It was quite cold, and when it rained, the condensation "showered" down on me, suggesting an inner is a good idea, just to absorb the condensation, rather than letting my quilt absorb it.

Was also thinking that an extended inner that included the entire internal space of the N3GT would actually sleep 4 quite reasonably....although I normally just go skiing with one daughter or mate.

So...smaller project in place - new inner tent/s. Keep outer as is.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 9:56 pm

Well don't Hilleberg make a mesh inner already?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 1:23 am

andrewa wrote:I suppose I ain't going to find a smaller tunnel, coz it would be too low....A

That's what someone suggested to me as well. But that 1-person Nallo lookalike from Lightwave has an inner height equal to the Hilleberg Nallo 2. They use poles with angles, somewhat like Roger Caffin's tents.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 8:15 am

Orion wrote:
andrewa wrote:I suppose I ain't going to find a smaller tunnel, coz it would be too low....A

That's what someone suggested to me as well. But that 1-person Nallo lookalike from Lightwave has an inner height equal to the Hilleberg Nallo 2. They use poles with angles, somewhat like Roger Caffin's tents.

For a two pole version you need pre-bent poles to make it narrower than a two person type.
You then have a larger stuff sack and possible problems replacing just one section if it brakes.
Some, like Lightwave, use that Gothic arch but it can get trickier to feed the pole through the sleeve.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 10:01 am

Front opening tunnel tents always end up with a width of about 1.5m due to the limitations on poles ability to bend. The one person hoop tents use part of this width for the vestibule removing the need for extending the length to accommodate the vestibule. One way to overcome this limitation is to angle the poles in relation to the main axis of the tent. In plan </==/> rather than <|==|>

Another tent worth considering is the Nordisk Halland https://nordisk.eu/halland-2-lw/forest-green/p/74/ 1.5kg and currently $582 on Wiggle and it is available in green :D
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 10:10 am

BTW, the advertised minimum weight is not often "trail weight" , so better check that just in case.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 10:40 am

Based on my experience with my Nordisk Telemark it was 1 gram out on the advertised weight although that did not include pegs. Nordisk did supply enough pegs and guys to fully peg out the tent unlike many other manufacturers. I always ignore the weight of pegs anyway as I treat them as a separate item when packing as I choose the pegs I take based on the conditions I expect to encounter.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 6:04 pm

The tent suggested here has a 1.6 kg minimum weight (+/- 10%) then 140 g for the pegs and from other specs 1.9kg full weight.
What weight are you commenting on ?
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 9:21 pm

Franco - I am aware of the US situation where various combinations of minimum weight/trail weight/shipping weight/total weight gets quoted and the tricks used to minimise these values. A key issue is that many manufacturers don't supply sufficient pegs or in Terra Nova's case totally inadequate but remarkably light pegs. For me, I want to know the weight of any tent as I would put it into my pack without pegs but with all guy lines attached. Pegs, as mentioned in my previous post, are for me route/season specific and I would prefer to deal with that aspect of pack weight separately. My normal complement for this tent of 8 pegs to cover all guy points + 1 spare, pole repair sleeve and bag add 70g. The Halland UL model I referenced seems to use 10 pegs so peg weight about 100g.

The weight quoted for my Nordisk Telemark UL1 was the weight without separate stuff sack and pegs. https://nordisk.eu/telemark-1-lw/forest-green/p/10/. This model Nordisk has a weird integrated stuff sac which also acts as a internal pocket attached to the inner that is included in the advertised weight. On mine I have replaced this stuff sac/pocket with a more usable simple mesh pocket and use the separate stuff sack, supplied (15g) but not counted in the tent weight for a saving of 15 grams. Add in replacing the supplied good quality but over sized Dyneema cord has reduced the tent weight to under 800g or a 4% saving.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 4:43 am

@MarkF - what are your thoughts on the 10 denier silnylon used on the Telemark?
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby Orion » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 5:15 am

Simon, for what it's worth Hilleberg's Kerlon 600 fabric was 10d and even a bit lighter in weight (26 vs 30g/m2) than the Telemark fabric. And the Telemark fabric has a higher tear strength (8kg vs 6kg). Hilleberg retired their fabric for reasons other than its suitability. But usually if Hilleberg is happy with something it's considered "overbuilt". They used it only on their lightest 3-season tent. It's not clear but I think the Telmark UL1 is being sold as a 4-season tent.

I've seen the Kerlon 600 fabric in person. It was so silky and thin feeling that it frightened me a little. :-)
But 17g/m2 Cuben gives me that feeling too.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 5:59 am

Orion wrote:Simon, for what it's worth Hilleberg's Kerlon 600 fabric was 10d and even a bit lighter in weight (26 vs 30g/m2) than the Telemark fabric. And the Telemark fabric has a higher tear strength (8kg vs 6kg). Hilleberg retired their fabric for reasons other than its suitability. But usually if Hilleberg is happy with something it's considered "overbuilt". They used it only on their lightest 3-season tent. It's not clear but I think the Telmark UL1 is being sold as a 4-season tent.

I've seen the Kerlon 600 fabric in person. It was so silky and thin feeling that it frightened me a little. :-)
But 17g/m2 Cuben gives me that feeling too.

Thanks Orion. I have sewn a 10 denier silnylon a while back but never really had a chance to test it out in the field. The specs do look pretty good from Nordisk though, and I note that their tear strength is the same as listed by Hilleberg for their yellow label tent fly's. Long term durability is another matter. The Nordisk tents are appealing.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Return to Equipment