Seam sealing behind embroidery?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Seam sealing behind embroidery?

Postby Strider » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 10:42 pm

I was recently gifted this jacket, which I’m thrilled with, though unfortunately it’s been third-party embroidered through all three layers (DWR face fabric, Primaloft insulation, lining).

It’s quite obvious what will happen when it gets wet - is there a way I can seal this area to prevent seepage? I’m unsure if seam tape will adhere to the interfacing used to hold the embroidery?

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Seam sealing behind embroidery?

Postby Franco » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 8:15 am

I would do exactly the same as I treat the seams on a tent. Let the silicone (diluted) soak into it , the thread will absorb the silicone , expand a little and become waterproof. I doubt very much that tape could stick to it long term.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 9:07 am

Too messed up and irregular for seam tape I'd say.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 5:52 am

sail makers tape
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Orion » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 6:43 am

I wouldn't even bother diluting silicone. I'd just swab on the Seamgrip. It's on the inside where nobody will see it.

"Aqualine" -- appropriate for a conduit of water.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Franco » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 8:06 am

Orion wrote:I wouldn't even bother diluting silicone. I'd just swab on the Seamgrip. It's on the inside where nobody will see it.

Truth in advertising
BTW, ever noticed that cosmetics don't have water listed as an ingredient but "aqua" instead ?
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 12:18 pm

Orion wrote:I wouldn't even bother diluting silicone. I'd just swab on the Seamgrip. It's on the inside where nobody will see it.

Haha that is quite ironic! A bit annoying that they've done it this way though - its a seriously expensive bit of kit.

https://www.swims.com/swimscatalog/man/ ... rka-black/
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 1:06 pm

Iv'e sealed these on gore coats with tape but doubt any tape will work here given the fabric (and stretch). Would not expect silicone to work inside unless you could get it to soak right through to the outer layer the embroidery will likely just wick water into the coat btw the outer and insulation. Maybe it's already been treated somehow?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Strider » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 9:37 pm

Nuts wrote:Iv'e sealed these on gore coats with tape but doubt any tape will work here given the fabric (and stretch). Would not expect silicone to work inside unless you could get it to soak right through to the outer layer the embroidery will likely just wick water into the coat btw the outer and insulation. Maybe it's already been treated somehow?

I don’t think it’s been treated already but you raise a good point - perhaps I’ll just apply some DWR spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cajun » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 8:39 am

Perhaps Wayno's suggestion of Sail Makers tape over the front and DWR at the back? Unless you don't want to cover up the logo?
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Thu 12 Apr, 2018 10:46 am

Won't the water still find its way into the insulation still if silicone is only applied to the back? You'd probably want it to penetrate the thread to avoid mould behind the silicone. You could probably even go over the front with a fine brush and seam sealer or diluted silicone.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Orion » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 1:09 am

Huntsman247 wrote:

Won't the water still find its way into the insulation still if silicone is only applied to the back? You'd probably want it to penetrate the thread to avoid mould behind the silicone. You could probably even go over the front with a fine brush and seam sealer or diluted silicone.

Yes, my suggestion was due to a reading failure on my part. I was answering the question as if it were a rainshell.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment