What sleeping pad do you use?/wide pad suggestions?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

What sleeping pad do you use?/wide pad suggestions?

Postby threshold » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 9:45 pm

What sleeping pad do people use?
I need a wide pad suggestion which hopefully weighs 3 grams or less.

This is the only piece of kit that keeps me up at night! :lol:
Literally.

I had a regular and short xlite, both were too narrow and slippy. I have a klymit static V which is ok, but not super comfy, even tried a ccf naturehike z lite copy.

I'm looking into the nemo tensor 25r, looks good, but they all do on paper. Any other suggestions for something comfy, lightish, stable, wide and hopefully not expensive. ( Ive spent too much on unusable gear already.)
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: What sleeping pad do you use?/wide pad suggestions?

Postby neilmny » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 6:05 am

I use an Exped Synmat UL 9 LW which is 65cm wide and has an R6.0 rating http://www.exped.com/australia/en/produ ... ynmat-9-lw
or there is the Exped Synmat UL 7 LW at 65cm wide and has an R3.3 rating.
Should you go for one of these get a Schnozzle bag as well. http://www.exped.com/australia/en/produ ... /schnozzel
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 9:42 am

Thermarest Neoair xlite in the Large will do the trick.
BA have just come out with the "Insulated AXL Air" which looks even better (thicker)
Wide and short, not sure I've seen one good enough but some people cut their Neoairs in half. Not sure how that is done.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby RonK » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 12:18 pm

threshold wrote:I need a wide pad suggestion which hopefully weighs 3 grams or less.

3 grams? A couple of cotton wool balls perhaps.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Warin » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 1:06 pm

RonK wrote:
threshold wrote:I need a wide pad suggestion which hopefully weighs 3 grams or less.

3 grams? A couple of cotton wool balls perhaps.

Or lots of helium ... $$$
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 1:57 pm

It took me ages to realise that what I was always seeking in a mat was a wide one. After ditching my narrow mat, I initially had a Thermarest Trekker Large Torso mat (R3.0, 380g, rectangular 120x63 cm) which was a great improvement over the narrower mats I had tried but I believe this version has been discontinued but it was the only short wide mat I came across. I have now moved on to the Exped Synmat Hyperlite MW (R3.3, 416g, tapered 183x65-42 cm) which I find even better, partially because of the full length but perhaps more so because of the vertical vs horizontal baffles. For winter I add one or two layers of 3mm foam cut to fit my tent floor.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby threshold » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 4:37 pm

Thanks Mark F! That sounds brilliant, will look into that!
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby zeeva » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 9:42 pm

When i bought a n Exped UL 7 lw matt, it CHANGED my backpacking experience. I now get as good a sleep on it or better than my bed. They dont last forever, and if you inflate them with a blowup pump you can rupture the baffles, but they are comfy . I dont inflate them to really tight, i find them more comfy 3/4 inflated. chee rs my 2 cents. zeeva.
zeeva
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby threshold » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 12:08 am

Cheers Zeeva. Ill be looking for a exped from bogong! I havent decided either the HL or the UL
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 3:18 pm

The wide mat wanted in reg/short length dilemma is my biggest woe with my sleeping set up.
It's hard not to spend a bomb in trying to find the right sleep system when you live outside of a regional centre and need to rely on buying online.
Exped syn/down mats seem to be mentioned a lot when discussing this, I will follow this thread with interest.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 4:06 pm

https://www.webtogs.com/en-UK/Thermares ... Lime+Punch

Very robust and so comfy and not noisy, but not UL.
Webtogs have proved reliable -add the discount for NO VAT and the 10-15% discount about $165AUD. I paid about $140 when the AUD was higher.
If it grabs you, it seems best to order in this way for minimum price;
ADD it all to the cart in pounds, then country for delivery (cheaper price -NO VAT pops up) click delivery option, add discount voucher see left of screen (or now Easter 15% off) pay in pounds, you will see the price in AUD can be markedly higher.
My experience with WEBTOGS has been excellent, but never had to claim. I would imagine any claim on a mat would be hard, but maybe others experience with for example, a seller like Bogong may be different. I use it in a 38L Exos with quilt and tent etc no space problems. Bigger than the EXPED when rolled up, but not double or anything.

I have thought of chopping about 15 cms off, videos on youtubes, but can't come at it.Yet.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Dexter » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 4:46 pm

Mark F wrote: I have now moved on to the Exped Synmat Hyperlite MW (R3.3, 416g, tapered 183x65-42 cm) which I find even better, partially because of the full length but perhaps more so because of the vertical vs horizontal baffles. For winter I add one or two layers of 3mm foam cut to fit my tent floor.

Good to know you have had a good experience with this mat, I bought one recently and haven't given it a go just yet.

Where do you get your foam from?
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 5:45 pm

Lamont wrote:https://www.webtogs.com/en-UK/Thermarest-NeoAir-Trekker-Regular-Wide-Sleep-Mat/44085wmp.htm?colour=Lime+Punch
I have thought of chopping about 15 cms off, videos on youtubes, but can't come at it.Yet.

Yes, I have watched some youtube clips on shortening mats too, but just can't bring myself to do it.

I have used Webtogs for two purchases so far and have been really happy with postage times etc. Returns/exchanges would be a bit of a problem I imagine, but I think if you pay via paypal that you can get a partial covering of costs or something for returns.

I was eyeing off that Thermarest Lamont, would be keen to hear how you have gone with it. I am not an ultralighter, so am happy to cop some grams on my back for comfort at night.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 7:50 am

I bought Marks Short Wide NeoAir and it has been discontinued and it was the only one.
Wide is the big factor in my own comfort I find, especially in winter
I could be persuaded to pass it on as I find myself a little short of funds to buy the new much bigger S2S for my proposed deep winter trip to Canada
I have emailed S2S about a short wide mat but so far no luck in persuading them of the marketability
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 2:42 pm

Moondog55 wrote:I bought Marks Short Wide NeoAir and it has been discontinued and it was the only one.
Wide is the big factor in my own comfort I find, especially in winter
I could be persuaded to pass it on as I find myself a little short of funds to buy the new much bigger S2S for my proposed deep winter trip to Canada
I have emailed S2S about a short wide mat but so far no luck in persuading them of the marketability

I am still a forum noob, so don't know how to multiquote.
Persuaded to part with it you say? How much persuasion? PM me if you feel like it. Not that I am fiscally sound myself at the moment having bought my grown up kid a pack and a tent this week.

I also emailed S2S and got a brush off 'thanks for your feedback, we have had this comment from others also and have taken it onboard etc etc'. I don't have the stomach to lop the end off my large S2S insulated ultralight mat, but I assume I would like it a whole lot more than I do if I did get the scissors and iron out
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 8:21 pm

OK PM sent Ms Mudd
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 9:35 am

Dexter wrote:
Mark F wrote: I have now moved on to the Exped Synmat Hyperlite MW (R3.3, 416g, tapered 183x65-42 cm) which I find even better, partially because of the full length but perhaps more so because of the vertical vs horizontal baffles. For winter I add one or two layers of 3mm foam cut to fit my tent floor.

Good to know you have had a good experience with this mat, I bought one recently and haven't given it a go just yet.

Where do you get your foam from?

I am trying out two sorts of underlay. I get the thin blue foam from Clark Rubber and have used it quite a bit including to make a pot cozy. Two layers in a cozy is lighter than reflectix (windscreen shade) and just as effective insulation-wise.
I am also trying an aluminised foam, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Outdoor-Waterproof-Aluminum-Foil-Foam-EVA-Camping-Mat-Sleeping-Mattress-Mat-Pad/142093996175?hash=item211576508f:m:mKGujWfOzX6Ft245JXB6auA is an example. I have to do some more precise measurements of weight and insulation but first impressions suggests it is lighter and at least as effective as the blue foam and much cheaper.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 2:39 pm

Awesome, thanks!

That aluminum stuff looks large enough / cheap enough that you could potentially use it as a footprint as well as extra insulation?
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 3:41 pm

The ebay al blue EVA mats are not as wide as a full tent foot print being 0.6m wide.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 3:59 pm

There's an option there for 1.5x2m and 2x2m.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 4:07 pm

The blue eva I am talking about from Clark Rubber does not appear to be on their web site. It is 1m wide and about 2-3mm thick - cut to length.

The 2m x 2m aluminised foam weighs 240g so about 60gsm; the blue eva is about 100gsm.

Dexter - I noticed those mats when checking the website - they seem to a relatively new item. Could be a good substitute depending on the thickness and weight.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby threshold » Thu 24 May, 2018 11:54 am

So I ordered my exped hl mw today! I sure hope its comfy! Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jdeks » Thu 24 May, 2018 12:43 pm

threshold wrote:So I ordered my exped hl mw today! I sure hope its comfy! Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'll just leave this here....viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27865
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Neo » Fri 25 May, 2018 2:33 pm

Gear basher, Jdeks! :)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Fri 25 May, 2018 2:39 pm

I could have a go at Nemo products.
My short tensor 20s was great! Would fit inside a coke can, about 250g for $130 on spesh.
Did the bathtub trick to find the leaks... three pin holes in the baffle 'spot welds' all in the same spot and same line. No chance it was laid on or rolled up with a prickle.

May be a warranty thing I'll look at someday but in my mind it was used.

Now happy with my Exped Synmat UL s.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jdeks » Fri 25 May, 2018 5:07 pm

Neo wrote:Gear basher, Jdeks! :)

Only when warranted. I think there's enough evidence out there that people should at least be aware of the realities about Exped mats. I certainly wish I had been.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 01 Jun, 2018 4:01 pm

Probably a little late and perhaps irrelevant due to bulk and weight but Cecile and I just bought two of the S2S Comfort Deluxe
Heavy at 2400g but very comfortable at 100mm thick but not as warm as you would think got the depth only being R-5.2.
Width & depth for extra comfort when base camping/car camping; 760 * 2010mm is luxurious
Did look seriously at the Nemo Basecamp too
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sambar358 » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 7:45 am

My solution to the "standard length but wide mat" was the STS Comfort Deluxe but for serious cold weather the Exped Downmat 9 LW (no integral pump) gets the nod.....pity Exped didn't make that in a standard length at the same width and thickness. However I have already had the STS mat replaced by Wild Earth on warranty after just 8 nights as there was a fault between the upper and lower air chambers which was allowing air to pass from one to the other rather than each section staying at the original level of inflation. Probably another issue with an internal weld failure....but a quick replacement by Wild Earth and no problems there. 2nd one is OK......so far ! Cheers

s358
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby threshold » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 10:30 pm

So I didnt find my synmat hyperlite practicle, I move around too much and rarely sleep like a mummy.

Now My neoair trekker large just rocked up today, @ 660 grams its pretty heavy, but I its a big comfortable rectangle 63 by 196cm and I can justify the extra weight for a good nights sleep. I hope I can sleep on this, its the 5th pad I have bought in the last couple of years :shock: , I really can't afford to buy anymore . :?
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 6:30 pm

Hope it works out for you threshold.
I have come to the realisation that extra weight in the mat department is well worth it for me- I will shave grams off elsewhere but be darned if I will sleep on a less than comfy mat :wink:

I feel your pain of spending lots of cash on mats, I finally settled with a Klymit UL insulated (Massdrop) in large/wide. I contemplated chopping some length off to save grams, but didn't want to risk it as I wasn't confident I could get the synthetic fibres out of the way well enough for a reliable reseal. I have about 5-6 nights on it since getting it in May and have never been more comfy. The inbuilt antislip silicone dots save me having to stripe all my tent floors and the material is not noisy at all.
Thought I would rave about it on this thread in case the Neoair Trekker isn't mat of your dreams...although having owned one of those in a wide torso length, I reckon you will be pretty happy with it. I would have kept my Neoair Trekker had it been long enough to curl up on without my feet being off the end.

Happy sleeping
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Equipment