Budget Sleeping Bag and Tent for Two

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Budget Sleeping Bag and Tent for Two

Postby AaBoy » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 1:23 pm

Hey, everyone. I'm new to the overnight hiking world. I have been on a couple of tours over 2km mounter in Europe but here in Australia, I want to do some overnight hiking tours on the tourist paths.
I have no experience with tenting what so ever and I would appreciate your advice. I'm looking for a two-person tent (me and girlfriend) and on a budget what would you recommend? I saw some reviews for the Vango Banshee 200/300 that is not too heavy but at $220/$250, it is still too expensive.
The other question is it smart to buy a "footprint" for the tent or something to erect the tent on to protect the base?

And some advice for buying a sleeping bag, I will not be sleeping outside bellow 5 degrees? What should I be looking for in a budget sleeping bag(under $80)?

Thank all for the help.
AaBoy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Budget Sleeping Bag and Tent for Two

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 1:43 pm

You could try the NatureHike Star River 2. http://www.naturehike.com/star-river-2- ... -men-tent/

Retails for aprox $170-190 including shipping depending on fabric. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Naturehike-Star-River-Tent-20D-Silicone-Fabric-Ultralight-2-Person-Double-Layers-Aluminum-Rod-Camping-Tent/32799010410.html

Aprox weight is 1.8 KG for the $190 model and 2kg for $170

Several forum members seem happy with it - viewtopic.php?f=63&t=24952&p=319099&hilit=ali+express#p319099.

Footprint depends on where you camp. If your camping on rocky ground then get a footprint. If your camping on grass or dirt then I usually dont take a footprint but I check for rocks and sharp sticks before pitching.

Dont know if you have looked at packs yet but I recommend the Osprey exos 48. Plenty of space for 1-3 nights especially if your spreading the tent/cooking gear between two.

Sleeping bags I'l defer to someone else who has gone shopping for a cheap one recently.

Best tip. Keep gear weight down and you and your GF will enjoy the experience alot more. If your carrying more than 10kg each before food/water its too much. Aim for 9-10 kg each including food and water (assuming 2L). But dont skimp on the chocolate! Of course the amount of equipment (and therefore weight) depends on where you are hiking but you mentioned tourist trails and Im assuming your not planning on hiking above the tree line on your first few trips..
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Jeremy D » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi AaBoy,

I am in a similar position to you. Just getting my toe wet in regard to overnighters.

I am of course no expert but I have just purchased a Naturehike Mongar 2 which is a MSR hubba hubba clone for me and my partner to share the load with. It is similar to the tent mentioned by wildwanderer but is a little bigger but the star river 2 would be better for cold climates because it has a half mesh inner. I paid about $160 delivered.

I also purchased an osprey exos 48 (last years model, I tried the new version but didnt like the hip belt) but that is about as far as I have got!

I have pitched the tent at home and it seems very good quality for the price, it also comes with a footprint.

This is just the way I have chosen to go and I may get a better tent down the road if I feel the need. I was looking at the mont moondance but I just couldn’t justify the extra 600 or so dollars.

Also I am in south east Queensland so your requirements may be different. I am sure people much more knowledgeable then me will speak up soon.
Jeremy D
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby AaBoy » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 11:07 pm

Hey, thanks for the replay @wildwanderer. But the tent needs 20 - 40 days shipping and with expedited shipping, it is 18 - 25 and it would cost more or less the same as Vango Banshee 300.
AaBoy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby fast turtle » Sat 07 Apr, 2018 12:15 am

fast turtle
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby AaBoy » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 11:57 am

AaBoy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 8:25 am

All those bags above unless your a very warm sleeper Id say your going to be cold at 5 degrees. (your indicated limit). Your GF will likely freeze as women typically sleep colder than men. (which is not good if your hoping to get her out camping with you again)

Consider something like this at $99 on clearance. https://www.anacondastores.com/camping- ... BP90058176
- Its rated down to -4 (not -8 as anaconda says) so your likely to be comfortable at 5 degrees.
- It appears to be the older model of this bag (which is a $200 retail bag) https://www.blackwolf.com.au/store/slee ... eping-bag/

Make sure you have a good sleeping mat. Otherwise you will freeze no matter how good the sleeping bag. (if sleeping on the ground)
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 9:08 pm

I have a Naturehike Star River 2, it is a fantastic tent for the price. Also try eBay as the shipping can often be much faster than AliExpress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 8:14 am

Luxe USA are having a sale

Despite the cost of USPS it may be worth having a look

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/products/h ... 9e42da3bcb
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby threshold » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 11:22 am

Check out aegismax sleeping bags on aliexpress.. 90 bucks I believe for a down ultralightweight bag
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Nuts » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 11:43 am

I like the gumtree suggestion, but 'used', ebay or on facebook 'gearfreak' and a few others. Some bargains in recycled gear, often in vgc. and importantly, from a reputable brand. Have you also considered hire Aaboy? Looks like a rock-bottom budget, inadequate gear that will quickly be waste. Can't help thinking there's something toxic in supporting these cheap copies, additional to what may be toxic in the materials themselves.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 5:27 pm

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6166&start=150
Have you checked out the second last post ? Happy to send it to a new home with enough reasonable FG sections to make a new pole
It is a little on the heavy side but has a few seasons left in it and the cost is really budget. I am too tall by far to keep it and use it but in its day it was state of the art
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment