2 litre Platypus query

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

2 litre Platypus query

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 12:46 pm

I'm looking for feedback on their resistance to rupturing when frozen.
Doing some reading on all sorts of water bottles and while not cheap they seem to be the most reasonable compromise and a bit lighter than my big Stainless Steel bottle that has very little resistance to rupture when frozen. Also I have a furry hot water bottle bag that seems to be the right size for the 2 litre size so I have a ready made pillow
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: 2 litre Platypus query

Postby Lamont » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 1:05 pm

I have a Source 3 litre in use just about every weekend for 3 years, made for the Army. DOES NOT hold a smell their advertising is absolutely spot on,NO KIDDING! Renowned as robust, tough as nails. I only half fill it these days, has been folded in my daypack for a long while now-no damage at all.
Look up Source tactical. Not sure if this fits the bill. Can't comment on freezing tho' sorry. Made to go in a ballistic vest can be refilled in situ. Mine pretty much always is refilled whilst in my daypack.
https://sourcetacticalgear.com/tactical ... ps-3l.html
Cheers
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Zapruda » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 1:22 pm

Just to make things even more confusing, check this one out - https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/hydrap ... /HYD-A812M

I have been using the same one for a year straight now in the snow and heat and it is perfect. Strong and light. I dropped it from a height of about 5 meters this past weekend and it was as good as new.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 1:25 pm

3 litres is a little big to carry inside my parka tho but some nice integrated features.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 1:35 pm

What! That Hydrapak actually does what it promises?
And why were you dropping it from five metres? Bored at the camp site were we?
Sounds like a bomber unit. Good to know.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 2:13 pm

One of my main reasons for wanting a 2 litre Platypus bottle is in the pictures.
Krunt is an old hot water bottle pouch I bought for $2- on clearance when I worked at Myer and is to be used inside my parka for my Arctic trip; I hand sewed the buttons and felt tongue on
Attachments
IMG_0375.JPG
This is Krunt my Flat Cat water bottle holder
IMG_0375.JPG (170.91 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
IMG_0376.JPG
IMG_0376.JPG (166.19 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
IMG_0377.JPG
IMG_0377.JPG (170.49 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Sat 07 Apr, 2018 1:00 am

According to the US Plastics corporation:

US Plastics wrote:Polypropylene and PVC are both plastics that are brittle at temperatures below freezing. Polystyrene is considered brittle at 68°F and is very brittle at temperatures below freezing. High, medium and low polyethylene on the other hand, remains impact resistant at low temperatures. Polycarbonate and PETG also have low brittleness temperatures.

Platypus says the film portion of their 2L Platy Bottles are made from nylon/polyethylene and the spout and cap from polyethylene.
From the Platypus FAQ:

Platypus FAQ wrote:Can I freeze my Platypus bottle?
Yes. Lay it half-full on its side in freezer with all air purged. Do not over-fill. Water expands as it freezes and this can burst your bottle

I've had a 2L Platypus bottle freeze before without any issue, but it's only been occasional. I find it quite annoying as the narrow spout means you can't easily get the ice out. So I generally don't take them on winter trips.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Sat 07 Apr, 2018 7:42 am

I see the problem, that's no 2L platypus M'dog, looks more like a 50ml squashed hedgehog :)
The Big Zip platy would be a better option... they are kind of an odd skinny shape though.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment