Vango rucksack

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Vango rucksack

Postby Mark CH » Sun 08 Apr, 2018 9:01 pm

Hello All,
Long time lurker, first time poster.
I have a Vango Ibex 50 rucksack that I bought about 15 years ago. I'm heading on a 3 day hike and it will be big enough but in comparing with a friend who has a Macpac 65 litre, it seems that mine is not much smaller :shock: . I'm wondering if mine is a 50 + 10 but can't find any info online.
Anyone that might have one that can shed some light or let me know how I can easily measure the total volume of mine.
Cheerio,
Mark
Mark CH
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Vango rucksack

Postby Strider » Sun 08 Apr, 2018 10:44 pm

It is quite likely the Macpac's volume is inflated by including every tiny little pouch and pocket, in addition to the main compartment.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark CH » Mon 09 Apr, 2018 9:10 am

Thanks Strider, yes, that could be the case. Mine has a main compartment (split into two) and some space in the hood. His is about the same height as mine but is broader at the base whereas mine is more straight-line from top to bottom. His definitely has greater volume but I just don't think it would be 15 litres.
Cheerio,
Mark
Mark CH
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mark F » Mon 09 Apr, 2018 10:57 am

There is no universal method of measuring pack capacity and stated capacity is always just a suggestion as Strider points out. The important question is, "Does the pack fit my gear comfortably?" Your answer seems to be yes so not anything to really wonder about.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Mark CH » Mon 09 Apr, 2018 3:42 pm

Quite right, Mark, all my gear fits for a short 2-3 day walk, I'm just interested in the metrics. Perhaps I just need to get out walking more ;)
Mark CH
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment