Big Sky Chinook 1P tents

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Big Sky Chinook 1P tents

Postby stu » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 11:00 am

Anyone have these tents?
They seem to tick a lot of boxes, but hoping for some user feedback:
https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/big-sky-big-sky-chinook-1p-tent.html

Thanks in advance :D
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Big Sky Chinook 1P tents

Postby Lamont » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 12:41 pm

I have both the Revolution 1 and 2 person which are identical except for the complete third cross pole and I think the fly comes down closer to the ground.
They are excellent. Someone on here will have the Chinook. There is a video review on youtube from an Australian. I think he was from trailhiking.com or some such website. Cheers.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby stu » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 9:07 pm

Nice, thanks Lamont.
Found the 2P video, assume basically the same as the 1P. They look like a lighter Hillebeg Soulo (which I've had in the past, but very heavy @ 2.5kg). Think I'm sold. Thanks for the reply. Cheers.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby RonK » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 7:32 pm

No problem with the goods, but there have been many complaints about the reliability of supply.
Some buyers have waited months for delivery.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby andrewa » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 8:45 pm

I’m trying to get used to 1 person tents, and even this one looks to have a pretty small interior. Once you’ve got your head around the interior dimensions, which are bigger than what I’ve recently used, it looks great!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby dashandsaph » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 5:25 pm

If you don't want to wait for supply from the US, try backpackinglight.com.au or the physical store off Little Bourke Street Melbourne. They stocked Big Sky last time I was in there so you may be able to get it off the shelf. I have another Big Sky tent with the exoskeleton I really like but it did take ages out of the US. I heard indirectly this had been improved.
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 6:13 pm

Big Sky were/are more miss than hit. I bought both my tents from BPL in Melb. and was very happy to do so. Not affiliated with them in any way-just a punter.
I know of and emailed (in the email/digital sense) someone who recently bought from the US to Aus. and had a detailed to and fro with them and got his tent.
I had multiple emails unanswered but that was about a year ago. Search thru' posts on BW.com and other forums and my experience it seems is still commonplace. Unless you are in the US! Cheers
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 6:15 pm

I have checked them out at BPL and they look very very good, the Chinook 2P will likely be my next solo tent. Definitely let BPL take the risk with supply - at one stage there were a lot of customers paying up front and not receiving the product until sometimes months later.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 6:53 pm

Big Sky have the strangest website/s -did you notice there are two?!
They don't even seem to be linked!-it is like they don't want business. Or do they?
Many people in the US have mused they should make a much greater impression just like Laurent's site at KS.
Those websites can do your head in!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment