Help needed - Scarp1 Tarptent setup **solved**

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Help needed - Scarp1 Tarptent setup **solved**

Postby Hillwalk » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 9:21 am

Ok forgive what's probably an obvious question, but I am stuck setting up a Scarp1 tent for the first time (just testing it at home). I've emailed Tarptent but not heard back yet so hoping there's an owner here who can help.

The instructions say:

1.Spread canopy on ground, black floor side down. Remove stakes from stake
bag and have ready.
2. Assemble 7-segment, main arch pole. Pole length is just over 10 ft / 3 m.
3. Insert pole tip into yellow pole sleeve, push pole through sleeve, and insert
both pole tips into grommets

It's all fine until the part I've bolded. Unfortunately the image in the instructions shows said grommet sideways on so I can't identify it. There's nothing that seems to correspond on my tent, at least not in the right position. Unless the fly has been clipped in differently.

I've searched without success for a photo (or video) showing what the main arch pole tip is supposed to be inserted into. Can anyone help with this?

https://www.tarptent.com/pdf/scarp1-manual.pdf
Last edited by Hillwalk on Tue 24 Apr, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hillwalk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Help needed - Scarp1 Tarptent setup

Postby Franco » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 9:40 am

There is a set up video clip in the Scarp product page
https://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html
under videos.
Take a look at it and see if that helps.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 11:03 am

Hillwalk wrote:3. Insert pole tip into yellow pole sleeve, push pole through sleeve, and insert
both pole tips into grommets

It's all fine until the part I've bolded. Unfortunately the image in the instructions shows said grommet sideways on so I can't identify it. There's nothing that seems to correspond on my tent, at least not in the right position. Unless the fly has been clipped in differently.

Maybe your Scarp 1 is like my Scarp 1 and has no grommets.

The included paper instructions with mine were modified by hand to note that the grommets were replaced by little fabric pockets where the pole ends are supposed to be inserted. They look like tiny little fabric cups, sewn to the narrow webbing where the grommets would have otherwise been installed. They're sort of like the cups that Hilleberg uses but smaller and more fiddly.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Strider » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 11:26 am

The grommets (brass) are in the webbing strap that goes across the middle of the tent (under the floor). Look at the photos in top right of instructions you have linked.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 5:58 pm

Sorry I forgot about the new pockets..
archstrappolepocket2.jpg
archstrappolepocket2.jpg (62.98 KiB) Viewed 5271 times
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 6:50 pm

Show us your Scarp when it's up!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Hillwalk » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. I just got back from a (day) walk on Mt Torbreck and have a reply from Henry at Tarptent. It is as Franco and Orion say - mine doesn't have the grommets but has the 'cups' so the problem is the documentation. Apparently "the arch strap now has webbing pole tip pockets instead of grommets" so I will try that. Seems obvious now looking at the photo above...

Mods can probably delete this thread now.

Thanks again.
Hillwalk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment