Looking for a lightweight hauler pack

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Looking for a lightweight hauler pack

Postby phenomenomenom » Fri 11 May, 2018 9:09 pm

Hello walkers!
I need some advice regarding a new pack. I've done extensive searching, but am unable to come to a conclusion. For various reasons, I'm getting rid of my Aarn pack and am now looking for something else.

My criteria are, in order of importance:
  1. Load transfer to hips
  2. Breathability
  3. Overall comfort
  4. Lightweight - Sub 1.5kg is ideal
  5. Rain proof without needing a cover
  6. Enough volume for a week, maybe 10 days. 50-70L
Bonus points for:
  1. Good looking - I never liked the Aarn green
  2. Somewhere for a Capture camera clip to attach
  3. Self-standing - I like to plonk my pack down and get stuff out without it falling in the dirt.
Trip lengths vary greatly for me, ranging from 2-7 days. I'd like to be able to squeeze in a 10 day trip sometime. My base weight is 6.5kg (15lbs), plus 1.5kg of camera gear. Total pack weight for 2 days is 12kg (27lbs). 7 days is 16kg (35lbs). 10 days would pushing 18-19kg (41lbs).

Current top contenders are:
  • Z-Packs Arc Haul
  • Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor
  • Seek Outside Divide
  • Osprey Atmos AG 65

I realise those are all very different packs, so I'd love some input from those more experienced than I.
phenomenomenom
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Looking for a lightweight hauler pack

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 12 May, 2018 5:34 pm

Arc haul Zip for a bit more durability? Pack is fairly water resistant. Not sure on comfort of zpacks with 18kg though... Zpacks claims 18kg as max load for the zip.. but I think their comfort limit is lower.

Osprey Atmos AG carrys heavy loads well and the suspended back harness makes a big difference if you sweat moderate/heavy. Fairly durable as well. Is a bit heavier than your target weight though..

Not familar with the other packs.

For osprey and other non water resistant packs.. a pack liner is the go.. In fact I would always have a water proof pack liner or gear in water proof sacks regardless as you never know when you will slip during a creek crossing etc. Waterproof pack covers are a bad option.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 14 May, 2018 1:02 pm

I like the ULA Circuit, light (about 1kg), durable and comfortable/carries well, but isn't waterproof without a cover. HMG Windrider or Southwest would tick all the boxes but expensive. Not sure about the durability of the ZPacks... depends on how much scrub/rock you plan to encounter? Exped lightning also comes to mind.

Have you looked at the new Osprey Levitys? (I'd be interested if anyone has used bought/used one of the those... seems to tick a number of boxes but might be too good to be true???).
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby phenomenomenom » Mon 14 May, 2018 8:38 pm

I had a message written up, hit post, then it vanished!

Thank you for the responses. Some good things for me to think about.

I do use dry bags for important things! I think what I should have said is I'd prefer a pack with some water-shedding ability. I have a cuben/dyneema tent and very much like being able to give it a shake, wipe it down, and have it almost completely dry.

Can anyone here comment on the Z-Pack's comfort at 14-16kg (30-35lbs)? That's more my 'typical' maximum pack weight. It'll just be the occasional trip once every year or two where my pack weight approaches 18kg/40lbs.

The Atmos AG keeps coming up, and it does look comfortable. Being able to try it locally is also a plus. I think my main concerns for it are the overall weight, and the fact that it has lots of bells and whistles and compartments which I neither want or need.

"fat boy," can you comment on the Circuit's comfort at 16-18kg? I understand that's a bit past what the manufacturer rates it for.

The HMG line also keep popping up. There's quite some debate on other forums as to whether they, or the Z-Packs Arc line are more comfortable. I suspect it boils down to preference. While I love the style of this pack (and the weight!) I have concerns about how the dyneema fabric is placed directly against the back. Won't that trap a lot of sweat?

I sweat ridiculously heavily so wicking/airflow is quite important to me. The weight/load rating on the Exped Lightning looks perfect for me, but again, I'm not sure if there would be much airflow?

I did look at the Levity but it has a maximum load rating of just 13kg/25lbs! Apparently the anti-gravity system breaks down much beyond this.

One more pack to throw into the mix is the new Atom Packs 'Mo.' It's rated to 18kg/40lbs weighting in at 840g! https://www.atompacks.co.uk/product-page/the-mo
I can't find much about it unfortunately.
phenomenomenom
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Neo » Mon 14 May, 2018 8:48 pm

The Mo looks pretty good!
Wildernesses Threadworks is a local maker I heard of recently, for that style of pack.
I'm happy with Exped. Super comfy and adjustable. Good choice of weight/feature/durability and price between models.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby phenomenomenom » Mon 14 May, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks Neo! What weights and temperatures have you used the exped at? How has it been for sweat wicking/transfer/airflow? I have to say, being $200 cheaper than most other things on my list certainly make it appealing!
phenomenomenom
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Neo » Mon 14 May, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi
Have only one trip done with the Explore 60 (reviewed). Total starting weight was 19kg, but no worries. Pack is 1.9kg on it's own though.

Plenty of fair weather trips with the Lightning 45. It's about 1.1kg before gear.Generally lighter base/total weight on those trips but gets up there when extra water carried.

You get some airflow because of few contact points, hips and upper back.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 15 May, 2018 8:58 am

I think the Circuit would be OK at 16-18kg but not sure if you'd want to go much higher. TBH when I'm looking at anything high-teens and above I switch up to my OP pack, so I can't really comment on heavy loads, and I use my Ohm for UL/short trips - the Circuit is more of an all-rounder that overlaps both ends of the spectrum. It is a pretty robust, framed pack with a decent harness so no reason why it couldn't carry reasonably heavy loads.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Chezza » Wed 16 May, 2018 12:00 pm

phenomenomenom wrote:Hello walkers!
My criteria are, in order of importance:
  1. Load transfer to hips
  2. Breathability
  3. Overall comfort
  4. Lightweight - Sub 1.5kg is ideal
  5. Rain proof without needing a cover
  6. Enough volume for a week, maybe 10 days. 50-70L
Bonus points for:
  1. Good looking - I never liked the Aarn green
  2. Somewhere for a Capture camera clip to attach
  3. Self-standing - I like to plonk my pack down and get stuff out without it falling in the dirt.
Trip lengths vary greatly for me, ranging from 2-7 days. I'd like to be able to squeeze in a 10 day trip sometime. My base weight is 6.5kg (15lbs), plus 1.5kg of camera gear. Total pack weight for 2 days is 12kg (27lbs). 7 days is 16kg (35lbs). 10 days would pushing 18-19kg (41lbs).

I recently got the Seek Outside Unaweep, which is the same frame as the Divide, just a different pack bag. I haven't taken it on anything more than training hikes, but I think it ticks most of your boxes. Load transfer to the hips is superlative. Below 15 kg I prefer not having the lumbar pad and the pack is extremely comfortable. At these loads I barely have to snug up the hipbelt to stop it slipping, which you really have to feel to believe. Above 25kg I prefer having the lumbar pad. I've loaded mine up with 38kg for a training hike, and the hipbelt showed no signs of slipping (done up pretty tight) at all, which is what most users report. I run mine with 2" extensions attached permanently (21" torso) and the amount of lift you can achieve is great for big loads. Certainly much more comfortable at heavy loads than my One Planet Strez which would slip down my hips a lot over 30kg no matter how tight I did up the hipbelt.

It's a bit more breathable than most load hauling packs because of the external frame. On easy terrain, you can also loosen the shoulder straps and let the pack swing back just enough to let your back breathe, and it's still quite stable thanks to the rigid frame.

Being a modular system you could get the Divide/Gila complete with frame and get a large Unaweep bag should you need one. They've also put a lot of thought into field-repair and redundancy so that's nice for long trips.

The Divide is, what, 1.25kg? I think the comfort it affords is well worth the weight. X-Pac roll-top, so it is rainproof but you might want to seal the seams. I do have a Capture camera clip (the latest version) attached to mine on a shoulder strap - was a little hard to get on but nothing major. I'm pretty sure the pack won't stand up on its own due to the tapered bottom.

The only negative for me is that the shoulder strap foam has a square, not rounded, end. I have a somewhat broad chest and the square ends dig into my ribs a little. Fixable with a bit of duct tape.
Chezza
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: South Australia

Postby Nuts » Wed 16 May, 2018 12:49 pm

20kg might be getting uncomfortable but for good value- Osprey Stratos 58?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 19 May, 2018 3:43 pm

Yes, all very different packs to be sure.
I use a Montane Grand Tour 55 (1.2kg ish) for lighter loads, but with loads anywhere over 13kg, it really does not carry as nice as it only has a single aluminium stay. It doesn't cause me issues with heavier loads , but I feel myself rejoicing when I start working my way through the consumables to get below that 13kg mark to increase my comfort. The backpanel on the Montane is solid foamy stuff (to give it some more rigidity I assume)and I do sweat like a mo fo on my back with it on.

Someone mentioned the Osprey Levity/Lumina series, I have seen one in action and I don't like the minimalistic looking hipbelt on the or the fact there are no hipbelt pockets, but those packs do tick your weight requirements.

My 34 lt daypack is an Osprey that has the AG system, same as the Atmos and Aura. My husband bought it for me and I thought it was a bit gimmicky but my oh my does it feel good on. I can really load it up and be carrying up around 10kg and it feels like nothing. For giggles at home I loaded it past the 13kg mark and it still carried nicer than my 'big pack'. It compresses down for the smaller loads nicely too. I love how the hip belts are integrated into the mesh suspension and dual stay system. I have no weight on my shoulders at all and it just feels like a 'hug'. My back sweats so much less, which I appreciated when walking this week as temps were in single digits and it was easier to stay warm once stopped without a drenched back.

So, not really helping you as I am banging on about a daypack, but what using that AG harness system has done is caused me to want it when carrying a larger pack too, so yesterday I ordered a 65lt Osprey Aura for those heavier carries I do over the cooler months. I bought it in the most hideous, impractical colour I may add , as it was 43% off RRP and I am a tighwad . There are no hideous colours (all pretty nice really) on the mens equivalent Atmos, so you will be right and there are plenty of good deals around on 2017 packs. I paid $215 incl express shipping.

It is funny, as I nearly felt embarrassed to order the Aura, as it is very 'mainstream' and didn't feel like an imaginative purchase, but I have listened to my body and gone with something that feels great on for me. I am sure will get a lot of use, even if it isn't very fashionable or ultralight :P

I think when carrying heavier loads, a heavier pack is nearly an inevitability for comfort. Happy researching, I think that is half the fun of a purchase.

edited for typos
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment