New Shoes Time - again

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

New Shoes Time - again

Postby nq111 » Mon 14 May, 2018 7:04 pm

Well destroyed my larger (for thick socks) pair of Inov8 Trailroc 245s on the last day of the Western Arthurs last week.

The shoe were over 3 years old, and had some good use. The front bumper had peeled a while ago - i should have glued it back as I think this acted as a scoop in the last few days in the mud and leveraged the sole off the toe on the left foot. Anyways, I am happy with how those shoes performed and held up.

But the 245s aren't made anymore. So as well as considering the other Inov8 options, always a good chance to ask the brains trust if there are any other footwear worth considering at this point.

Essential are:
- free-draining
- minimal drop
- low to ground footbed (stability)
- light
- sole capable on a variety of surfaces (mud to scrambling)
- Some sort of rockplate in the sole

Options I am considering are:
- Inov8 Trailroc 270 - probably closest to the 245s
- Inov8 Roclite 290 - Some reviews suggest that these may be slightly beefier than the Trailroc and a bit more adaptable across a variety of terrain
- Inov8 Roclite 325 (non-goretex) - A light boot version of a trail runner. I think I still prefer a boot, although there is a lack of boots available with the features I want (particularly free-draining). These may be the hybrid I have hoped for, but not sure if the extra drop will feel a little excessive.

I am not well versed on other brands so have only looked at the Inov8s (known brand that I trust) to date.

Any thoughts appreciated.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: New Shoes Time - again

Postby Lamont » Mon 14 May, 2018 7:34 pm

https://www.inov-8.com/row/trailtalon-2 ... blue-black. ?
Not sure if these are perhaps something to consider. I have 5 pairs of INOV*s but they seem to be getting narrower.
I am on my second pair. The first can't be killed, small holes but the mesh is still holding them together. Even had a cobbler do a few stitches for $4. Have about 800ks on them. The soles still have quite a lot of rubber and I like the grip.
I have killed a pair of Altra Lone Peaks 3.0s which I wore alternately with the Trail Talons-over the last year or so, their tread is gone and a hole is now taken over.But man they were comfortable for walking once I replaced the inner sole with a SOFTSOLE. That duck foot front!
I am seriously considering another pair -I will follow the suggestions you get as well as I look for shoes well in advance then look for specials. I am looking for a nice wide front foot and something I can try on which is almost impossible down my way.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby crollsurf » Mon 14 May, 2018 9:16 pm

nq111 wrote:Essential are:
- free-draining

You do give up on the holy grail of dry feet after a while. Still searching for a light-weight replacement for my beloved Zamberlan Vioz GTX.
I had my heart set of a pair of Inov8 325 Gortex but like Lamont says, they are too narrow, for me anyway. Liked the Salomons as well but they had heal lift.

You have to spend a lot of time trying on boots/shoes and none will work for all conditions. I think 2 maybe 3 shoes/boots are required so pick a pair for the typically conditions you walk in and get that right first. If you have a big walk planned, then go a pair that will suit those conditions.

I want to try on a pair of Keen Targhee II Mid but I bet they wont drain well which is one of your requirements
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 15 May, 2018 11:58 am

I use La Sportiva Ultra Raptors which tick all of the above boxes, except that they have a 9mm drop. Have killed a couple of pairs but only after some serious long-term treatment (incl. similar terrain to Arthurs). The new LS Akyras look pretty good (if not a similar but nicer looking version of the UR) but are also 9mm drop. What about Saucony Peregrine 8? https://www.saucony.com/en/peregrine-8/30786M.html (not sure if they have a rockplate though??).
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 16 May, 2018 10:17 am

These have just come up on massdrop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/altra-king-mt-trail-running-shoes?utm_placement=0&referer=E9FRRB&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202018-05-15&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional&utm_content=1526368071734.692079678773047775718128
Definitely tick all your boxes, incl. weight, rockplate, zero drop, quick-draining etc. (except maybe prettiness, although that's subjective) and ***ing cheap!! If I didn't already have perfectly good shoes I'd be looking at them.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nq111 » Wed 16 May, 2018 6:14 pm

Those Altra's look interesting - will definitely check them out. Thanks
nq111

Region: Queensland

Postby slparker » Wed 16 May, 2018 7:57 pm

Saucony peregrine pick most boxes (low drop, insane grip, good drainage) but I wouldn’t think that they would go so well off track as la sportiva.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby norts » Wed 16 May, 2018 8:14 pm

I have used Merrell Moab Mid Ventilators non waterproof on the AT, PCT and the Larapinta.
I am in the middle of trying on( first pair I sent back too small) Altra Lone Peaks 3.5 mids.
They seem to be shoe of choice at the moment for long distance hikers in the USA. If they dont work out I will stick with Moabs for the CDT.
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby warnabrother » Thu 31 May, 2018 8:41 am

I love my Altra Lone Peaks.. Did the OLT in torrential rain in them and they were perfect..
Tick all the boxes you require
But do size up 1-1.5 sizes

They take a little getting used to as they feel too big with the wide toebox, but they are so comfy
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment