Hiking gear -future construction.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Hiking gear -future construction.

Postby Davidf61 » Sun 20 May, 2018 5:48 pm

I've been playing around at home with a few tarps and bivy's, I sort of build prototype things in Tyvek, but when it comes to construction my meagre sewing skills let me down, so what do you do, head for Google.....

Found a couple of vids, one on the way the industry might be going, and another more in my scope of doing things. Interesting to watch, and another case of where technology, in this case adhesives, are changing things dramatically. I've just ordered a selection of adhesives from these vids and will attempt a few more slightly ambitious projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne2J01h1tZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5yGxdJveZk

I've had a "Bilgy Tarp Tent Kit" off Quest Outfitters for some time, but haven't gotten around to trying to build it, looks like I might be able to glue instead!
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Hiking gear -future construction.

Postby CasualNerd » Sun 20 May, 2018 6:48 pm

I'm also short of sewing experience but keen to get started.

At the minimum it would be useful to lightly glue your projects before sewing so you don't need to deal with pins and the final product should be much stronger.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Davidf61 » Sun 20 May, 2018 9:03 pm

I'm thinking for a simple tarp for example, say 8x8, a wide strip to join 2 panels down a ridgeline, and narrower stuff for the hems, some videos seem to suggest these adhesives are stronger than the material they are joining up.
I've just ordered some white silnylon, going to use a black tape for contrast/effect on joins/hems and tie-outs
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby andrewa » Sun 20 May, 2018 10:11 pm

Be brave. Practice on some old sheets etc, and once you have your S... Together get in to sewing proper fabric.

It's easy to make a tarp. I've made 4, all of which worked, but my last cuben tarp was actually cheaper to buy that make. It's still going strong, after 5 yrs.

And, if it fails, due to poor construction skills, you can always make another one, constructed a bit better.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 21 May, 2018 11:57 am

Also have a look at https://www.hammockforums.net.
While mainly US participants there’s a few Aussies and Kiwis on there.
They have a lot of good stuff on DIY tarps (and hammocks of course); including a lot of help for complete beginners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 21 May, 2018 12:01 pm

andrewa wrote: ...my last cuben tarp was actually cheaper to buy that make...

A

I had a look at a cuben tarp in a shop in Melbourne last week.
$600 AUD!
I had to sit down for 10 minutes after that.

I reckon I could make 3 cuben tarps for that price and, even if I messed 2 up I’d still be ahead.

ChrisJHC

Postby taipan821 » Mon 21 May, 2018 1:04 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:
andrewa wrote: ...my last cuben tarp was actually cheaper to buy that make...

A

I had a look at a cuben tarp in a shop in Melbourne last week.
$600 AUD!
I reckon I could make 3 cuben tarps for that price and, even if I messed 2 up I’d still be ahead.

might be worthwhile looking at America for cuben fibre products, they're more widespread and the price seems more reasonable?
I'd recommend getting a roll of calico for practice. practice making large projects, then you can cut the calico down to practice small lengths...painter drop sheets are another good source of cheap fabric.
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Orion » Mon 21 May, 2018 3:47 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:I had a look at a cuben tarp in a shop in Melbourne last week.
$600 AUD!

Cuben is pretty expensive. Unless those are small tarps you probably won't be making three for that price. Maybe not even two.

I messed around with gluing silnylon for a tent I made. I found, like the guy in that one video, that the bond could be quite strong in one type of seam but really, really weak in another type. I did glue part of tent tent but the load bearing seams I double stitched. Maybe there are better adhesives though.

With a Cuben mid that I made I didn't stitch at all. The double sided tape proved to be strong enough. That was one expensive tent though. And it didn't come out professional looking. It was a learning project. It might have been better if I had paid a bit more and simply bought one.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment