Tiny holes in pillow. Cause?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tiny holes in pillow. Cause?

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 21 May, 2018 9:36 pm

On the first night of a 2 night walk I discovered my inflatable pillow was rapidly deflating. :(

Upon returning home and using the soapy water method Ive learnt the pillow has about a dozen or more microscopic holes. All over the pillow. Its unpatchable.

Any ideas what could have caused this? It was fine 2 weeks ago.

To my knowledge no chemicals (including DEET) have been near the pillow.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Tiny holes in pillow. Cause?

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 22 May, 2018 9:42 am

My expensive name brand inflatable pillow did this after about 20 nights of use, all around the outside edge. You should be able to get a refund / replacement.

My cheap Chinese copy has a small hole already too, I guess it's hard to make a 50gm airtight pillow hardy enough to be rolled and packed too many times.

I do notice the pillows are made of very different materials than mats, which I have never damaged. I'd be interested to know if there's a reason they're not more sturdy but I guess it's about weight.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mark F » Tue 22 May, 2018 9:55 am

Sharp hair follicles? :lol:
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Franco » Tue 22 May, 2018 12:44 pm

Sometime ago I read the explanation of why those tiny holes happen in mats, so I suppose the same thing does apply to pillows.
Of course I can't remember it now but my take is that the pillow is probably PU coated on the inside and your breath has caused some moisture build up that has started the PU degradation.
But it is just a guess.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 22 May, 2018 2:37 pm

Im tempted to chat to sea to summit about this. Its their ultra light aero pillow that has the issue. However not sure its worth the time. By the time I jump through all the hoops I would have wasted more than $60 (cost of the pillow) in time spent.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 22 May, 2018 7:13 pm

If you bought it from a store, take it back, they should handle it all for you. Paddy Palin organised the replacement of mine (same pillow too).

If nothing else don't let S2S get away with selling something that's obviously not up to task.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby willem » Wed 23 May, 2018 1:35 am

Yea I had a s2s pillow just past waranty, with same problem. Mountain Design refused to help, so contacted S2S directly. Sent them a video of the bubles/many holes. They replaced it with a new one, very impressed with there service.
Regards,

Willem
willem
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby willem » Wed 23 May, 2018 1:35 am

Yea I had a s2s pillow just past waranty, with same problem. Mountain Design refused to help, so contacted S2S directly. Sent them a video of the bubles/many holes. They replaced it with a new one, very impressed with there service.
Regards,

Willem
willem
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment