Sticky tent fly - Snowgum Storm Shelter - Fix or replace?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sticky tent fly - Snowgum Storm Shelter - Fix or replace?

Postby katherineaw » Fri 01 Jun, 2018 2:25 pm

Long time lurker seeking advice from brains trust...

My snowgum storm shelter, which is about 18 years old, was recently dug out of storage in hopes of a few overnights in the coming months. I need to re-seal a couple of seams on the inner, but it's otherwise in great condition.

Not so much the fly... the underside of the fly was quite tacky when I got it out and all stuck together. A couple of seams will need re-sealing, but the tacky-ness is my real concern.

Any suggestions for how I could fix this? I was wondering whether just giving it a wash with a tech wash or similar and then re-waterproofing it might work?

Or has it had its day? This would be disappointing, but 18 years is a good run all things considered!

Thanks - Katherine
katherineaw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Northern Territory

Re: Sticky tent fly - Snowgum Storm Shelter - Fix or replace

Postby davemal » Fri 01 Jun, 2018 3:22 pm

Katherine,

Search the forum - I think I recall seeing that a light dusting of talc will remove the tackiness.. I could be imagining things so please check.

FWIW I have an old Eureka tent of similar vintage that went tacky. Given its age and likely use I just took to it with the DIY turps & silicone mix, without any special care. It solved the stickiness and is now a lot more water resistant :) Good for another 15 years !
davemal
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 01 Jun, 2018 3:25 pm

I'd go the thinned silicon route myself and try and get another few seasons from it. A lot of threads on "How-To" in the forum.
Pix of the tent in question tho please; as it is not one I am familiar with, unless that one ids the Snowgum clone of the Caddis
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby katherineaw » Fri 01 Jun, 2018 3:37 pm

Thanks davemal - I had a squiz through old posts a week or so ago but was struggling to see any reports of successful techniques! I'll have another look.

Moondog55 - thanks. I'll get some pics over the weekend, as I'll have to set it up again to do this. Should be amusing, as it'll be on a balcony ;) It's the same style as this, though: linky

* edited for typos
katherineaw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Northern Territory

Postby Al M » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 11:51 am

Some tents get sticky with age and long storage without proper airing as the resin gives off vapour and degrades. So tents should be stored loose not tightly packed and sealed up.

The suggested fixes above are the way to go although I have tried myself and you can find further info on google searches.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to Equipment