Cold weather stove

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Cold weather stove

Postby jackattack » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 9:11 am

I need some advice. I am going car camping in the Blue Mountains soon and it is going to be cold and possibly wet. Will have a big tent and some tarps. I want to be able to cook under the porch, sheltered from rain but well ventilated. I have a Soto Windmaster canister stove and a lunchbox style butane canister stove . Because i am car camping i dont want to use canisters and i read that gas canister stoves dont perform well in the cold. Thinking of buying a new stove for cold weather hiking and car camping. Does a 2 burner lpg camping stove with a refillable bottle work in the cold, down to -5 or should i buy a multifuel stove for one stove to rule them all? i know the 2 burner stove is pointless for hiking but does it suffer in the cold. Am i over thinking worrying about gas canisters for car camping in the cold.
jackattack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Cold weather stove

Postby Mark F » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 11:42 am

Your stove using the heavy steel refillable bottle will be fine. The fuel is mainly propane so good to well below zero. At -5 the stoves using light, non-refillable butane canisters will struggle or not work.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 1:18 pm

I use a big bottle propane stove for many reasons. But when car camping it makes perfect sense as this is the cheapest way to buy fuel. A really good propane stove just cost me $135- and it is a blowtorch, a smaller one with half the power was $99- ; and they often are around S/H much cheaper
A 4 kilo bottle doesn't cost much more than an MSR fuel bottle
It is a perfectly viable alternative to using small canister stoves and should perform well down to any temperature expected here in Australia, I use mine at my winter snow camp
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby jackattack » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 10:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Just arranged to buy a ripper of a stove, will post from the field next week.
jackattack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 04 Jun, 2018 6:24 am

With straight LPG you should be good down to -30 without too much trouble, so you should do just fine.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment