2p 3s integral pitch tent options

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

2p 3s integral pitch tent options

Postby farkewie » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:49 am

Hi,

I am in the market for a new tent as my old hubba hubba has finally died. I'm based in SEQ but tend to get around a bit, new tent will be a 3 season focus as we have the Hilleberg Katium 2 as our snow tent, which we will also use here in winter if the campsite is big enough to fit it :D

Our unicorn is...

# Two person, preferably reasonably roomy
# 3 Season, usable in SEQ warmer weather
# Prefer freestanding - would be nice
# Integral pitch - really want this one.
# Sub 2.5KG
# double wall
# Dual vestibule
# needs to fit in some of the smaller campsites as kaitum wont being as long as a house!
What i know of..

Tarp Tent
The two i have used have struggled with the rain, and hard to get a taught fly. Always seemed to sag. But are light and reasonably priced

WE First/Second arrow
Light (floor maybe too light?), roomy. Not free standing, single entrance and only unzips from one side so would always need to climb over someone's head. Can get super cheap.

Hilleberg Rogen
Based on current hilleberg will be quality and well thought out in every aspect. little heavier than others but within target. concerns are around height and angle of walls potentially not roomy? and not full mesh, though using a lighter inner material than current tent. Not sure how this would go in SEQ having never had a non mesh tent, can get a mesh inner but that pushes price too far. ~$1500 for tent and optional mesh inner.

Are there any other tents i am missing, or if anyone has any first hand experience in the above (especially is summer use), id love some feedback.

Cheers.
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: 2p 3s integral pitch tent options

Postby north-north-west » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 8:04 am

Which Tarptents? My Scarp is possibly the easiest to pitch tent I've ever had and easy to get truly taut. Plus, with the crossing poles, it's close to being freestanding - just two anchor points, for the vestibules.
With the seams properly sealed, they can cope with fairly severe Tasmanian weather, so the rain comment also seems weird.

A Scarp 2 would definitely tick all your boxes, but if you don't trust Tarptents, not much point recommending it.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby farkewie » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 8:12 am

north-north-west wrote:Which Tarptents?

One was a Protrail, cannot remember what the other one was sorry. I have always liked the look of the Scarp to be honest, but, was just a bit turned off after experiences with friends tarp tents. I have not ruled them out hence adding to the list, they have a good following which has to count for something.

Thanks for the input.
Last edited by farkewie on Mon 11 Jun, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:04 am

well the Tarptent (oh dear...) Bowfin 2 I think hits all of your requirements.
We have used several types of fabrics over the years, the one we use now for the Bowfin has a 3000mm waterhead rating which is higher than many of the retail offerings from the big brands.
(up to a few years ago ours was 1200-1500mm)
You can either have the packs inside the inner (at the end) or pull the floor in at the centre and puit them outside, or one of each if you like...
http://www.tarptent.com/product/bowfin-2/
bowfin2_10.jpg
bowfin2_10.jpg (136.66 KiB) Viewed 5661 times

bowfin2_3.jpg
bowfin2_3.jpg (149.09 KiB) Viewed 5661 times

The Scarp 2 , if freestanding is not all that important, would do well also and is available with fabric or mesh inner (or both...)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Lamont » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:39 am

Big Sky Revolution 2 is really a palazzo (huge) inside about 1.5 kgs. I own it. Put it up with 2 pegs in most weather,and smallish footprint, excellent for small sites, I do like the Tarptent linked tho'.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Tkeeble » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 6:19 pm

I don't really have an answer for you, and don't want to derail the thread too much but would love to know where you can get the WE arrows super cheap?

I've been considering the 2nd arrow for a long time but the price has always been a bit off-putting.
Tkeeble
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby farkewie » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 6:28 pm

Tkeeble wrote:I don't really have an answer for you, and don't want to derail the thread too much but would love to know where you can get the WE arrows super cheap?

I've been considering the 2nd arrow for a long time but the price has always been a bit off-putting.

Pro deal on this one.
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:09 pm

I still wish for a Big Sky, but have never touched one...

My Protrail is awesome, just adjust tension when night falls. The only saggy pitch I've had is if camped on a rock slab. Could have scavenged extra stones to weight the corners but didn't bother upsetting the ancient status quo :)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment